What Motivates You?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I?m starting this thread because of the some things said in the ?Race to 5000? thread. What motivates you to play well? Do you play for money, for bragging rights, for self-satisfaction? Do you play for ?fun?, if so, what motivates you to win? When I started playing, I wanted to win because I wanted to win, I guess. It was that simple, in the beginning. But, I had a hard time winning. It takes everyone a while, figuring out how to make games based on how well you and your opponent play, what game, how long a game, and what stakes to play for. At first, I played a bunch for table time. It got me some experience, and I got to work on the basics without playing/practicing by myself. When I began to play for small money, after getting over the initial fear of losing the money, I found that I was much more focused. I concentrated more on the game than I did when not playing for money. It was never about just winning the money for me, at least, not all the time. Playing for money was a means to an end, not the end in itself. It was years before I became any good at playing in tournaments. People beat me in tournaments that I could give the 7, 8, and 9. With two dollars on the game, those same people couldn?t find the end rail. There were people who beat me who didn?t play for money who played better than I did, but they were few. I naturally gravitated toward the players who played for money. The good players, the serious players, and, of course, the hustlers, bums, and charlatans. The good players that I?ve known who didn?t gamble; I would say were less than an even dozen all these years. It?s just the way I learned to play and I make no apology for it.
I know this reads like an advocating of gambling, and maybe it is. But, I?d really like to know, if you don?t and have not played for money, what motivates you to play your best and win? I?ve never been comfortable playing with friends unless I was teaching them. I just couldn?t achieve that killer instinct when playing people I was close to. I play better in tournaments than I used to, but again, running up against a friend is a tough match for me.
To me, what acedotcom was referring to was, that it seems like pool has come to be much more of a social, friendly, pastime, rather than the serious, play to win, competitive type of game it once was. And, I know all about the rooms needing the social players to survive, etc. This is about playing motivation.

teebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still motivated by the whole process of learning the game. I get a real sense of accomplishment when I draw a perfect position to a hard spot or make a difficult shot. Understanding how I did it and knowing I could do it again are very important. I am much more analytical than intuitive.
Winning is real good but if I play well or better than usual and learn somthing from the person I lose to, I am very motivated to keep practising. So I guess for me improvement is the motivation and I hope winning more often is the result.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Me Too

teebee said:
I'm still motivated by the whole process of learning the game. I get a real sense of accomplishment when I draw a perfect position to a hard spot or make a difficult shot. Understanding how I did it and knowing I could do it again are very important. I am much more analytical than intuitive.
Winning is real good but if I play well or better than usual and learn somthing from the person I lose to, I am very motivated to keep practising. So I guess for me improvement is the motivation and I hope winning more often is the result.

I enjoy getting better, both physically and mentally. At this point, its my mental game that needs the most work.

SoundWaves

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread. I think learning is what inspires me. I love to learn and practice. What keeps me learning is how much harder this becomes the better you get at it. I strive to be the one that makes it look easy...

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuaba said:
I enjoy getting better, both physically and mentally. At this point, its my mental game that needs the most work.
Ditto......

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always do everything I do the best I can do it, no matter what it is, i'm not a part time anything, i go the whole way with all my ventures, hobbies etc in life....passion. if i'm making spaggatti its going to be the best I can make it not opening a can and hoping it tastes good. I did give up on spelling-not a joke I honestly put alot of effort into spelling and I just cant do it so I put my energy into other things.

Purdman

Banned
My .02

No matter who the other player is, I play myself. I do the best I can every time I pick up a stick. I know I can break well, I know I can run out a few racks of 9 ball, I know I can run 40 or 50 playing straight pool and I know I have broke and ran out in 1 pocket. It is difficult to find a recreational player that I can not beat. The problem arises when I beat myself by not playing up to my standards. That's my story and I am sticking with it!!!
My ol'lady has beaten me 2 nights in a row playing 9 ball 7 to 2. She got me 2 to 5 and 2 to 6. One of her winners was when I had the 8 at one end of the table and the 9 at the other end. I hit it a little hard and scratched. She played a 1-9 combo for another win. She goes straight to the hill with 1 win. I remember that it is only a game.
Purdman :rolleyes:

grandpapkusky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The relaxation of just playing pool. It's something even older people like me can enjoy. Not play good like before, but still what fun. It relaxes me and is a good thing for socializing. I like watching my grandkids play.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love to compete, and playing pool is something I can reasonably be competitive at as I get up in my later years. It used to be wrestling in high school and college, and as you can imagine, wrestling is a young mans sport. Doesn't mean I can't still do my Jujitsu on Sunday mornings though.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ugh, you guys are full of it.

ALL OF US PLAY POOL TO IMPRESS GIRLS. I mean, what motivates you to get out of bed in the morning?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
To use your term, self-satisfaction pretty much sums it up for me. I love the feeling of satisfaction I get when I make a tough runout, when I win a tough match, or when somebody who knows what they're talking about tells me how strong I'm playing. I don't make money off it, I don't brag much, I'm not big on the glory/disgrace of victory/defeat, I just love the feeling of satisfaction when I can utilize the skills I've been working so hard on developing to accomplish feats I can be proud of on the pool table.

-Andrew

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
My take

Money is my biggest motivator as it is with most people. Whether they will admit it or not money is the biggest motovator on the planet. No matter how much money you have you can always do with more, it's just different people are at different levels. Tell me one person who will tell you that they have enough money. Sure I can play pool for fun and enjoy it but I enjoy it way much more if there is money at stake. Might be a quarter or it might be 100 dollars, either way the money makes it all the more motivational. Who agrees and who disagrees?

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin Lindstrom said:
money is the biggest motovator on the planet

HOGWASH! It's GIRLS! If it weren't for girls, I would definitely live in a cave in North Dakota, hunting moose or whatever wildlife they happen to have around there.