Looking at the IPT list of player's cues I noticed a couple things

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, some of the high priced cues do not appear on the list. Are these cues valued more for the workmanship than the playability? There was a poll recently asking what people's favorite cues were, and some of the cues which got the most votes are nowhere to be found on the IPT list.

Secondly, I noticed a lot of predator and other laminated shafts on a variety of different butts. What is the advantage for example of playing with a predator shaft on a Schon like Papugayan does instead of a predator shaft on a predator butt?

This isn't intended as something to start an arguement, just something I noticed and was wondering about.

Al,
St Louis

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"What is the advantage for example of playing with a predator shaft on a Schon like Papugayan does instead of a predator shaft on a predator butt?"

Who is Papugayan? The advantage is you get the look of a Schon with the playing characteristics of a Predator. (if you like that sort of thing)

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
magnetardo said:
"What is the advantage for example of playing with a predator shaft on a Schon like Papugayan does instead of a predator shaft on a predator butt?"

Who is Papugayan? The advantage is you get the look of a Schon with the playing characteristics of a Predator. (if you like that sort of thing)

They play quite different too. I've hit balls with a predator and then with a schon with a pred shaft. And the hit is quite different. Maybe he just prefers the schon.

Tony

suckershot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alstl said:
First of all, some of the high priced cues do not appear on the list. Are these cues valued more for the workmanship than the playability? There was a poll recently asking what people's favorite cues were, and some of the cues which got the most votes are nowhere to be found on the IPT list.

There are probably more people on the forums that are financially equipped to own such high dollar cues than there are pro players. And not every big ticket cuemaker is dying to give away a cue they can charge 1-2k for. Predator will give away shafts because they are only $150-200, and you know they are more than making up the difference selling them to the rest of us.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Most pool players I know are too broke to be able to hang onto a Fancy Southwest, Searing, Szamboti, Balabushka etc.

Hell, alot of players I know can only afford to play with the good old Wall-A-Bushka.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
uwate said:
Most pool players I know are too broke to be able to hang onto a Fancy Southwest, Searing, Szamboti, Balabushka etc.

Hell, alot of players I know can only afford to play with the good old Wall-A-Bushka.

The only pro player I know that has a Balabushka is Tommy Kennedy. Once we switched cues for one game and he shot with my Palmer and wipped my ass with my own cue. LOL:)

I don't know if he still plays with it, He has not been to the Flamingo in years. Buddy Hall sold a Lucasi cue he got free to one of the guys at the Flamingo. :)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
magnetardo said:

I think Papugayan is a player whose actual name is "Papa" Serge Guayan.
JoeyA

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
magnetardo said:

He is Alex Pagulayan's cousin. While I was looking up the correct spelling, I noticed that from P to S on the list, you have:

Pagulayan, Schon/Predator 314
Parica, Judd/Tiger X
Peach, Viking/Predator 314
Putnam, Josey/Tiger X
Robles, Predator/Predator 314
Sakai, Gina/Predator 314
Saleh, Dale Perry/Predator Z
San Souci, SouthWest/Predator 314
Souquet, Joss/Predator 314

I'm not bored enough to go through the whole list but it's interesting to me that so many players want a hybrid mix of butt/shaft.

Now I'm going back downstairs to hit some balls.

See Ya,
Al

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan said:
They play quite different too. I've hit balls with a predator and then with a schon with a pred shaft. And the hit is quite different. Maybe he just prefers the schon.

Tony

Do you really think if you were blindfolded you'd be able tell if you were hitting a Predator or a Predator shafted Schon?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
magnetardo said:
Do you really think if you were blindfolded you'd be able tell if you were hitting a Predator or a Predator shafted Schon?

An interesting study would be to cover the joint and buttcap with a wrap of some kind so the players didn't know what kind of cue/joint he was playing with, set up 10 ro 15 shots with a variety of cues and combinations of original and laminated shafts and different tips. Then have the player grade each cue from 1-10 in areas like stiffness of hit, ability to draw the ball, ability to apply english, deflection, etc. If you had enough tables it wouldn't take that long to do it with a large number of players.

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alstl said:
An interesting study would be to cover the joint and buttcap with a wrap of some kind so the players didn't know what kind of cue/joint he was playing with, set up 10 ro 15 shots with a variety of cues and combinations of original and laminated shafts and different tips. Then have the player grade each cue from 1-10 in areas like stiffness of hit, ability to draw the ball, ability to apply english, deflection, etc. If you had enough tables it wouldn't take that long to do it with a large number of players.

It's a good idea but I think you would have to cover the entire butt except for maybe the wrap/handle area. Too many cues are easily identified without seeing their joint or buttcap.

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
magnetardo said:

No, not at all, I can't tell the difference between the two. As far as which is which that is...... but the hit is quite different. I could tell they were different if someone blindfolded me. I think you should try the test out on your own before you ask me that. Hit some balls with a pred. Than a pred shafted schon and tell me there is absolutely no difference in the way it hits. Than I'll edit what I wrote.

Tony

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
I have done the blindfold test with many cues. A maker (either production or custom) may have a construction process that gives their cues a certain quality of feel in general, but there will still be huge differences from cue to cue. I have played with cheap production cues by a certain company that I liked the feel of, and some that I hated. The same thing is true for several custom cuemakers.