DKB Cue Case- Unknown Age or Origin

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UPDATE EDIT: The case was found in a 1976 Rich Cue catalog. Still don't know what the DKB stamping means.

I have been looking for one of these for a while. Scored this in excellent condition for a few dollars using my Ebay bucks. Came with a graphite cue I'll probably let the kids play with.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I found this in the forum:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=177190

Mine has the same yellow interior.

I also found a brown one in the forum some time ago but cannot find it again. The poster was asking for an identification, but nobody knew.

Just to clarify, this case is definitely NOT leather as the poster in the thread I referenced thought. It is heavily embossed vinyl, and apparently a high quality vinyl. To me it is obvious but I am aware that many people often confuse vinyl with leather.

DKB is embossed in the vinyl, I suppose a maker's mark or brand. I am convinced these cases were "factory" produced. Not custom or one of as was supposed in the referenced thread. Possibly, but not certainly made in Asia.

The vinyl is machine sewn, not just glued on. I neglected to get a picture of the seam work. You can see some of the stitching around the lock though. It is nicely done.

I also, in fact, have a key. I am obsessed with having the keys to all my cases. LOL!

The lock is an Excelsior and takes a #317 key. Excelsior is, or was, out of Stamford Conn and the lock is marked as such, including "USA". So there is a chance this is a US made case.

If anybody has information on when they were made, who made them, where they were sold, or anything at all I would be very happy to hear it.

I am very happy to finally have an example of one of these cases.

Edit: Excelsior was dissolved in 1988, so it is likely the case is at least that old. I had supposed 70's or 80's so I think I am right on that. I have a file case with that exact lock on it that I got brand new when I was a kid for my school papers. I got it in the mid 1970's. So I will guess this case was made anywhere between 1975 and 1988. I hope we can narrow it down. It is of course possible these cases are more recent than that and they were made with "old stock" locks.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UPDATE:

These cases were sold by Rich Q. It was found in their 1976 catalog.

Seems to be a US made cue case sold through a US cue maker.

Still don't know what DKB stands for though.

Last edited:
There's one just like it on Ebay entitled "Vintage Rich Cue case". Has a replacement clasp. Just posted starting at 25 bucks.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's one just like it on Ebay entitled "Vintage Rich Cue case". Has a replacement clasp. Just posted starting at 25 bucks.

Saw it. That's how I finally identified it. He messaged me it is a 1976 Rich Q catalog.

Yeah, missing latch. I know where I can get that latch believe it or not.

Probably not worth any trouble or expense to fix though. More of a curiosity but I am glad I finally found one in great shape for my collection.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought this was funny. If you look in this picture posted in the main forum for a cue and case show, you will see one of these cases bottom center.

Funny, of all the wonderful high end custom cases they could show...they showed that one.

I do note a difference from mine. Mine has a gold tone finish on the lock while the one pictured is clearly silver or chrome.

Reminder: The case was found in a 1976 Rich Cue catalog. So I am calling it a Rich case. Still don't know what the DKB stamping means.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=437154

attachment.php

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
DKB could always be the initials of the former owner, or are they on all of the cases?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think DKB stands for "Definitely Knot Barton" or "Don't Know Barton".

Now you know. :)

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think DKB stands for "Definitely Knot Barton" or "Don't Know Barton".

Now you know. :)

PERFECT! LOL! :grin::grin::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Actually I am thinking DK Billiards, but I only find a company in California that simply can't be it. They have only been around since 1992.

I am searching corporate registration databases, trademark databases, and old newspaper articles and ads now. It gets pretty involved.

These cases were definitely sold during the era when Isaac Algaze owned Rich Cue (bought it from Saul Rich), 1970 to 1980, after that it was sold to Imperial Billiards. I do not know if Imperial continued to carry that case line.

Isaac Algaze was here in Florida and I am hoping to meet him if still alive.

Last edited: