best dedicated jump cue

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
For me it's Steve Dunkel. My Dunkel jump cue is carbon Fiber wrapped & its like cheating. Never had better success with a jumper like with this. Think they run $250ish new.

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Premium jump cue

PREMIUM JUMP CUE is the best i've ever tried , i will never part with this one .
Had Hansew and Lomax before and a few others , the Lomax comes second .

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pov

Wow! At 4oz, it's no wonder your jump cue is so awesome. (Have to delete the ".........let" from the url so the link works.)

Daniel from POV pool has said great things about Marty Carey jump cue, I've never had the opportunity to try one yet. But would love too.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry

Wow! At 4oz, it's no wonder your jump cue is so awesome. (Have to delete the ".........let" from the url so the link works.)

I think I come down to getting either an Alex Brick or a Tony Layne.

Anyone have experience with both, please share your thoughts.

I'm all most positive that Alex Brick has pass on (RIP) so you'll only get one of his on the secondary market.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've posted several times on this topic, so here is the super abbreviated version:

Dedicated Jump Cues I've owned:
- Jester (3pc)
- Black Magic
- Tadpole
- Jacoby (3pc)
- Lomax (3pc)

The best of this lot is the Lomax by a very wide margin - it almost feels like cheating. The Jacoby was very good, and the others were both huge disappointments.

Last edited:

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jumping Jax

Have used Lucasi, Jacoby, Lomax and Predator.

Nothing yet has been able to even come close to the dymondwood JJ.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a bit odd that there is a maximum cue weight but not a minimum. I think it provided a bit too much leeway with what you can do with a cue. I'd lobby for a minimum weight requirement for official play, say 14 oz which is probably a bit over what a taken apart break/jump cue would weight and be under what a player would use as his playing cue. Enough of a compromise where you still need some skill to jump a ball and would prevent those 1/2 inch away from the ball jumps that are just insane to be allowed to be done.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fell in love with the 3pc OB lift! Jumps super easy and has decent looks!

washedup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I tried a few. Alex Brick jumped good but I had no control. I jump whole ball. Since he dead, the price jumped out of the roof. The 80 buck Lucasi Buddy Hall Done pretty good for a while. I tried a James Hanshew jumper for bout 6 months. It was okay. Balance seemed off.

Then I tried a friends Jacoby jumper with extension. That was the one. I dart jump with and found my nietch. I still am not a great close jumper, like maybe a a ball width. However anything over a ball and I'm good.

Thanks
Scott

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Best one I have owned was a varney, but those are hard to find. Second best was the inexpensive lucasi jump cue. Can find them for about 80 bucks, and jumps very well. Mostly I jump with a cheap j&j break/jump that I had a white diamond tip put on. I think it is more about practicing with what you have, since most jump cues work just fine.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using an all black Cuetec jump cue that I believe was their model 99531. Cuetec does not appear to be producing them any longer, but Seyberts has them available for $73.50. There are some discrepancies between Seyberts’ description and my cue. But their pictures support my belief. Mine weighs 9.1 oz. with a 14 mm phenolic tip and a metal ferrule. I own one other jump/break and have tried a few others. Nothing has tempted me to switch. IMO, the Cuetec jump cue is one of the best bargains in the pool industry.

Last edited:

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not sure which jump cue is the best to be honest, it's very hard to say which is best.

I have a mezz airshooter in my case for the longest time, it gets the job done when needed.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion as a very good jumper, and having tried a LOT of jump cues, I find the Jacoby with the extension to be the best. It's insane for very close jumps...I can easily get over a full ball from less than a chalk's width away with accuracy using the dart method and no extension, all the way up to long distance jumps with table length draw with the extension. I feel the design of this cue most accurately meets the needs of a jump cue.

That said, I think the Hanshew and Lomax are close. For longer jumps, the Lomax might be the best of the bunch, and the build quality is a step above the Jacoby. The Hanshew seems very good for close jumps, and is probably 2nd on my list overall for performance.

I while back, I tried a Mark Bear with a full spliced handle, and also a full spliced shaft. The main shaft was purple heart, spliced into maple. That thing was incredible. Had a G10 ferrule with an Icebreaker tip. I'd probably swap out the ice breaker for a Hammerhead. I'd love to find one of these...Mark Bear passed away a while back.

In any case, I think one of the big advantages of the Jacoby is the brass ferrule. This puts a great deal of the overall weight right up at the tip where you want it for a jump cue. They use a G10 tip which works very well. I've replaced the G10 on a friends with a Hammerhead tip, and literally couldn't stop laughing when I tried jumping with that. Laughably easy to jump, literally, with incredible cue ball control. I'd say a Jacoby with a Hammerhead tip is about as good as it gets!

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums