Moori tips!!!!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I finally got Moori tips back in straight from my long time source in Japan.

There has been a lot of talk about fake Moori tips out there.
So it was even getting me concerned and I would not buy
from any other supplier, but my old supplier in Japan which I trust.
His supply has been so low that he could not spare me any for months.
But I just got several boxes from him.

Back to the subject of fakes. I wanted to be able to identify the fakes, so I decided several weeks ago to order 10 tips from a source in China that sells on line and swears they have the original Moori tips. Here is how that went. It took almost a month for the ten tips to arrive. I looked at the seal pack and it looked printed identically to the original ones. The writing on top of the tips matched also. It even had the little additional labels where four tip packs meet on the fold and tear lines. But that was the first sign that they were indeed fakes. The image was different. Next the tips were darker brown on the outside edge and had more distinct glue lines where the layers met.

So I decided to give them one last benefit of doubt and waited for my new batch of Moori tips to come from Japan and check these China tips against the new batch. Moori had not changed his extra little label, so my conclusion is the tips from China are indeed fakes.

In my search I also found that someone else in China has set up a site under the domain name Moori and is selling "Moori Blacks". No one in Japan ever mentioned Moori Blacks to me, so I assume those are fakes also.

Last edited:

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
Will you post some pics of the new ones?
What is the total thickness as well?

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've also run into the problem of fakes, I have some Moori M's that i believe aren't real. can't remember where i bought them from (i really wish i could), but i buy only from major, known suppliers, so it's not from some dicey random person. the packaging looks pretty real, it's got stickers and the hologram thing but i haven't done a thorough comparison with a real one. but the sides of the tip is where you can see the big difference. it's not that reddish brown moori color and it has prominent glue lines. i'll see if i can get a pic of them to post.

i also spoke to a contact in Japan about the rumors about Moori that have been flying around in the US. he is a dealer who has a long time relationship with Moori. says he personally spoke to Mr. Moori just recently and that he is not dead (obviously) and the they are still making tips. he says the demand is far beyond their supply capabilities as usual, but nothing at all has changed with the business. he thought it was funny how rumors like this seem to be constantly swirling around outside of Japan.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member

Back to the subject of fakes. I wanted to be able to identify the fakes, so I decided several weeks ago to order 10 tips from a source in China that sells on line and swears they have the original Moori tips. Here is how that went. It took almost a month for the ten tips to arrive. I looked at the seal pack and it looked printed identically to the original ones. The writing on top of the tips matched also. It even had the little additional labels where four tip packs meet on the fold and tear lines. But that was the first sign that they were indeed fakes. The image was different. Next the tips were darker brown on the outside edge and had more distinct glue lines where the layers met.

So I decided to give them one last benefit of doubt and waited for my new batch of Moori tips to come from Japan and check these China tips against the new batch. Moori had not changed his extra little label, so my conclusion is the tips from China are indeed fakes.

In my search I also found that someone else in China has set up a site under the domain name Moori and is selling "Moori Blacks". No one in Japan ever mentioned Moori Blacks to me, so I assume those are fakes also.

WHAT!!!! FAKES FROM CHINA???? How could they???
Of course I'm being sarcastic, sorry Chris, couldn't resist. They are so good at fakes, they even have made a fake president for us.....lol
Dave

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Chris,

I'd like to see the fake samples you purchased and compare them to the genuine article. We have pics of fakes compared to genuine Moori's and would like to see your incarnations.

And yes, the Moori Blacks being offered on eBay and elsewhere are indeed fakes.

jwe711

The Great Cue Masters...!
Silver Member
I saw some Wizard Blacks on Ebay...

I've been wondering if they were fakes...???

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know when I will get around to taking time to take pictures and post them up. But I will say if you can't read the word "Genuine" with the help of a magnifying glass in the little hologram sticker they are most likely fakes. I am guessing it won't be long until they manage to copy that too.

The fakes are a little taller than the real deal. I have not pulled any of the tips out of the packages yet to get exact measurements.

I am not defending Moori's decision to drop layers from their tips and make them thinner, but that was their decision and I would rather have an original than a thicker fake.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to hijack this thread but everyone knows how passionate we are about Moori tips and the creeps that spew their vile about there only being fakes on the marketplace and that Moori are no longer in production; the most noticeable purveyors of this misinformation are the Skokie clowns. We have written extensively on this subject and have taken the time to educate the consumer with articles and photo's as well as documenting the noticeable differences between the fakes and genuine tips. In the interest of everyone's safety, we publish all that for your reading pleasure and educational purposes.

You can read about all this on our web site but I will post it here for everyone's convenience.

Genuine Moori -vs- Fake Moori

We've posted a picture of the genuine Moori next to the fake Moori. For comparison please note that the packaging on the left while similar, there are differences worth noting: the green package lettering is a slightly different shade and more pronounced or bolder on the fakes while the foil dots or indentations are more pronounced on the genuine Moori.

The fakes are darker in color and taller (.707mm) while the genuine Moori are a softer tone and less thick (.628mm). The tips shown on the left here are actually fake Moori III's.

The hologram shows differently using the hologram decoder tool (which all reputable distributors possess). On the genuine packaging, the hologram changes image while on the fakes it's just a clear sticker that shows just one color and one image. This hologram appears on the foil backing and is located in the center of every 4 tips.

Additionally, the holograms also show the words, 'GENUINE', 'AUTHENTIC' AND 'SECURE' on each hologram. You will need a 10 power magnifying glass to discern these words while holding them at different angles.

Worth mentioning is also the fact that Moori is not manufacturing any Moori Black Cue Tips. The ones being offered on eBay and elsewhere are counterfeits.

Your best defense is buying from reputable distributors and dealers.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't want to hijack this thread but everyone knows how passionate we are about Moori tips and the creeps that spew their vile about there only being fakes on the marketplace and that Moori are no longer in production; the most noticeable purveyors of this misinformation are the Skokie clowns. We have written extensively on this subject and have taken the time to educate the consumer with articles and photo's as well as documenting the noticeable differences between the fakes and genuine tips. In the interest of everyone's safety, we publish all that for your reading pleasure and educational purposes.

You can read about all this on our web site but I will post it here for everyone's convenience.

Genuine Moori -vs- Fake Moori

We've posted a picture of the genuine Moori next to the fake Moori. For comparison please note that the packaging on the left while similar, there are differences worth noting: the green package lettering is a slightly different shade and more pronounced or bolder on the fakes while the foil dots or indentations are more pronounced on the genuine Moori.

The fakes are darker in color and taller (.707mm) while the genuine Moori are a softer tone and less thick (.628mm). The tips shown on the left here are actually fake Moori III's.

The hologram shows differently using the hologram decoder tool (which all reputable distributors possess). On the genuine packaging, the hologram changes image while on the fakes it's just a clear sticker that shows just one color and one image. This hologram appears on the foil backing and is located in the center of every 4 tips.

Additionally, the holograms also show the words, 'GENUINE', 'AUTHENTIC' AND 'SECURE' on each hologram. You will need a 10 power magnifying glass to discern these words while holding them at different angles.

Worth mentioning is also the fact that Moori is not manufacturing any Moori Black Cue Tips. The ones being offered on eBay and elsewhere are counterfeits.

Your best defense is buying from reputable distributors and dealers.

That is good information. Thanks for sharing. I doubt I will bother taking pictures as your shows everything mine would.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
mine are packaged different

Mine are package different from both of those :eek:

I will photogragh and post pics.
MMike

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mine are package different from both of those :eek:

I will photogragh and post pics.
MMike

I remember you telling me months ago you were going to buy a few cheap online and see if they were real. I look forward to seeing what you have.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cheap tips

I remember you telling me months ago you were going to buy a few cheap online and see if they were real. I look forward to seeing what you have.

After talking with you and some other people did a thread on fake tips.
I didn't want a fake tip in my shop, I just didn't think it was worth the risk, not only that but the tips I was going to buy were kamui tips and it was plain to see that they were fake.
At that point there was no reason to even think of buying any tips out of china.

Ok here are the moori tips I have in stock that was sold to me by another azer.
I don't think they are fake but there is so many different things I could do to change the color in these pictures,with my camera and photochop I really don't know what to think.

MMIke