the pool scene in the Covid world

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm envious!

TATE;6722847[COLOR="Red" said:
]I've been playing straight pool alone on my home table and I've gone undefeated.[/COLOR] It's funny how that game can be so addicting, always trying to beat your last high run.

Our local pool rooms and leagues are closed down again here due to the surge. Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties have been hit hard and my area, San Luis Obispo County is getting worse. If they were open, I would not be interested in playing due to high caseloads in our area and an "at risk" wife. I'm afraid pool is dead for me until there is a vaccine.

I am envious! I'm playing by myself on a home table too and try as I might after months I am still not winning! Best I can do is hold even at 50/50. I bought new balls, thought that would help. No luck. Bought one of the new magic CF shafts, still at 50/50!

Hu

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Pool has been shutdown in NYC for over 5 months, no end in sight and no further guidance from NYC Mayor or Governor despite the state's fantastic job of flattening the curve. I know of at least one pool hall that closed their doors for good, and Tony Robles Pro/Am Predator tour announced they're closing up.

There is a petition on change.org. Over 1,600 signatures since Sunday. Hoping this will get the attention of the Governor, before more pool businesses shut their doors for good.
https://www.change.org/p/andrew-m-cuomo-allow-billiard-and-pool-halls-to-open

I've been going through old photos of shooting pool in nyc.

It feels like it will be memories for awhile. Nothing positive to report about the situation.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After not having played pool for nearly 6 months, you get used to not playing.
Since 2009, I have had one knee surgery & five shoulder surgeries. So over
the last decade, my pool playing had to be put on hold for extended periods.
So basically I am accustomed to long layoffs and I enjoy the game as much as
anyone possibly could. Been playing for 60 years extending back to Ames in NYC.

Know what? If I never played again, I’d find something else to do. I’ve been debating
about getting a Golden Tee 2020 console. I have a 70” set so the graphics would look
absolutely awesome and playing the game is an absolute gas. Tons of fun and gamer
skills are certainly needed if you want to compete in on line tournaments and leagues.

So if I the pool halls aren’t open before 2021, I just may ask Santa for a Golden Tee
Arcade Console. At that point, I might even sell one of my cues & just go crazy by
getting a new Les Baer custom .45 or have my Para .45 customized and go all out.

Yup, I’m hoping the pool halls open soon because otherwise I’m tempted to replace
pool with Golden Tee golf until there is a proven, trustworthy vaccine which could take
a year or longer. So for the price of what this would run, and the absence of any pool,
it is not as expensive as one might initially think. It would cost as much as a good 9’
table would run but if I had the space for a 9’, I wouldn’t even bother to compose this.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
ah... is it not the player's decision to play....?

Not intending to argue with you, just notion that one's personal accountability is how transferable to someone else with zero authority over them. I mean we're not talking about an employer forcing an employee into a unsafe situation under the consequence of losing their job.

I know leagues have started back up in my area. Masks mandatory at all times. That doesn't mean the players are forced to attend. In fact, the turn out as I understand it is quite minimal. I would say the majority of league members are in the higher risk categories.

The world is screwed up now days in many instances. There is no personal responsibility only victim hood. Not universally but that's not a chance I'm willing to take.

You can be sued for serving coffee that's hot and lose, and it's worse now.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I am envious! I'm playing by myself on a home table too and try as I might after months I am still not winning! Best I can do is hold even at 50/50. I bought new balls, thought that would help. No luck. Bought one of the new magic CF shafts, still at 50/50!

Hu

LOL you can cheat because nobody's looking :smile:

justnum

Silver Member
I see retail stores open up and people shop.

A pool room should be no problem.

Some one is targeting pool rooms, they are full of space and located in most major areas.

Pool rooms seem liike they are being phased out during the COVID control of life, at least in NYC.

Most pool rooms never go max capacity except for a few peak nights a week.

More tough times ahead.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

Ha, Ha,

I’m solids and Elvis is stripes, etc.

I play a lots of Made up games. ’The Battle of Britain’ is my favourite on my Snooker table.

Flintlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In South Jersey, league play is not happening. I don't think we'll see that until 2021. However, the pool room that I go to is open. Rules are - Masks when not shooting and no food or drink in the pool room. There is an adjacent bar with an outside tent. So if you need to take a break and get some food / drink, that's where you go.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Local Poolhall is open. Masks must be worn unless eating/drinking. With the exception of the mask, It's pretty much how it normally is there. I go twice a week and match up mainly with the regulars, like I normally would. Other nights I'm shooting at home.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been shooting at home. I had real bad pneumonia last month & was in the hospital for 10 days so I'm not taking a chance right now. The one pool hall in our area is open but I have not been there. I drive by it on my way fishing and there's a lot of cars in the lot. There's a VFW with pretty good weekly tournaments that I like to shoot but I don't know if they're having them now. The bar near me where we go for dinner on Fridays is open but their pool table is closed.

Kdogster

Registered
I'm on an 8-ball league team here in Minnesota. We are not playing this Fall. I didn't ask the captain of our team how the decision played out, but I assume it was not an option. Frankly, I haven't kept up with what policies are inside bars, since they are changing all the time. I wasn't planning to play regardless. Like others have mentioned-- the juice is not worth the squeeze, so I'm going to wait this thing out.

I'm lucky enough to have a very old 9 foot Diamond Pro at home, which lets me do all the deliberate practice I can muster. I believe the practice is making me a much better player. Of course, until you start playing real matches, you can't say for sure where you are.

A couple of guys on my team did play in a Summer league. One guy said he feels very safe wearing this at the bar. Picture attached.

Attachments

• 19671.jpeg
    19671.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 328

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Pool isn't even a blip on the Illuminati's radar.

I see retail stores open up and people shop.

A pool room should be no problem.

Some one is targeting pool rooms, they are full of space and located in most major areas.

Pool rooms seem liike they are being phased out during the COVID control of life, at least in NYC.

Most pool rooms never go max capacity except for a few peak nights a week.

More tough times ahead.

justnum

Silver Member

The real estate they use is.

The pool room feels like a senior center.

I don’t know how people feel about that comment, but it’s true.

Most pool players are in the high risk age group for Covid health issues.

Pool rooms are usually full of regulars it shouldn’t pose the same risk as a random bar.

People don’t trust pool players to make good decisions.

Public swimming pools opened in NYC, but not pool rooms that provide air conditioning and a community space.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I stop by about once per week to have a quick beer and watch the regulars play from a distance. I don't join in as they are usually playing sets and I don't want to be there long. Just enough time to donate to the owner with a purchase.

I have a table at home but I've been working on other projects so pool has moved to the back burner for now. I only have 1 friend coming by for now to play as I don't want to open myself up to getting ill.

Our city is about to vote on mandatory mask use in all enclosed spaces. It's the 3rd reading of the bill, so it will most likely pass. When it does, we will see more businesses close down for good as people will just stop going out.

I myself am transitioning to all delivery services not out of political/conspiracy reasons but simply that if I want to pick up a bottle of RealLime to make a drink it takes me 30 minutes, a mask, gloves, probably soon a rectal thermometer and perhaps a biopsy. It makes sense, but I just don't have that kind of free time to waste. Maybe some people don't have anything else to do.

I went into the mall to look at some dartboards a few weeks ago. There was a line about half a block long to get into Winners as they were only allowing 10 people at a time inside. That to me is not going to fly. It will be worse when masks are mandatory as more people will give up on going out at all. Thankfully the store I went to was able to let me in and out in under 10 minutes.

I worry about the pool hall here but with all of the anti-social procedures in place, the wasted time, and the inflated prices I can't justify it. Adding a potential life sentence of permanent lung damage even if you survive an infection isn't worth the neon tan. I also don't feel like hurting anyone else if I were to be asymptomatic.

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poot tournaments and home play

I have played in two tournaments in the past month...one in SW Missouri that drew 60+ players. I think one person was wearing a mask during play. I also played at a tournament in Arkansas and nobody was wearing a mask. We had about 20+ players. Masks are mandated in both cities but if you have ordered a drink...then you are drinking and don't have to wear a mask. I have not heard of any of the pool players getting sick. I play at home consistently. I just play alone at home...I don't know any pool players in the area well enough to invite anyone over to play. I am not worried about catching the virus. If I catch it, I will deal with it then. I treat catching the virus like I treat the flu during flu season...I wash my hands often, don't touch my face when I am out and about, and I try to keep my distance from anyone who is coughing or sneezing. The odds are still quite low for contracting COVID and will continue to decrease with time.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The odds are still quite low for contracting COVID and will continue to decrease with time.

hey patrick
of course, odds change
why do you think they are decreasing tho?
we're 8 months in, and many states are seeing increases
just yesterday, the US had its most COVID deaths since may

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CDC website - look at graphed data

hey patrick
of course, odds change
why do you think they are decreasing tho?
we're 8 months in, and many states are seeing increases
just yesterday, the US had its most COVID deaths since may

Just go to CDC.gov and look at the data. The numbers overall are gping down and have been trending that way. Here is an opinion piece that cites data on CDC website and provides links.
https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/there-pandemic

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool rooms are open here. I play 3C, not pool. When I've gone on a Sunday, early afternoon, it is fairly empty. Neither my buddy nor I wear masks once inside the building. When I go on Friday, early afternoon, I practice by myself on one of the 3C tables, and there is generally a 10 player partner golf game going on the big 6x12 snooker table, plus a few pool tables in use. I'd say that maybe 25% of the people in the room wear masks. This is in CO. I won't name the room, in case there are any Karens monitoring us.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just go to CDC.gov and look at the data. The numbers overall are gping down and have been trending that way. Here is an opinion piece that cites data on CDC website and provides links.
https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/there-pandemic

Yea, I get all my scientific information at GreenMedInfo!

“The WHO says it will come into your home and take your family members if they suspect them sick with COVID-19? Wake up to what's going on here.”

“Study Calls Into Question Primary Justification for Vaccines.”

“Is There a Pandemic?“

justnum

Silver Member
NYC approves bowling and gyms.

Pool halls got left out.

Its not the Illuminati if they are publicly flexing their muscle, it’s called the law.

Some people prefer to be outlaws, while others call pool halls outlawed.

I misss pool room weekends and weeknights.

Attachments

• 2716A739-24A6-4953-B637-E69781BD0513.jpg
    2716A739-24A6-4953-B637-E69781BD0513.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 242