Am I crazy or 314-3 has higher deflection than 314-2??

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Been playing with a Predator Ikon 2, with 314-2 shaft, Kamui black super soft tip, for the last 2 years, before that I had an Ikon 1 with the same 314-2.
Finally I decided to try a 314-3 shaft, I ordered it with the same Kamui black super soft tip, especially to have the same tip as before, in order to make a correct comparison...
Well after a week of playing with 314-3, I'm pretty sure it deflects more than my 314-2...which sounds strange, normally the new Predator shaft generation should be more precise/less deflection, right??
I tried different spin shots that I'm normally 100% making with my 314-2, and I'm undercutting them when using outside english, and overcutting them with inside english, with the 314-3 shaft...
I switched back to my 314-2, I see nothing justifying the upgrade to 314-3...on the contrary, I consider 314-2 a more solid and more precise shaft...but that's just me...curious to hear other opinions...

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Been playing with a Predator Ikon 2, with 314-2 shaft, Kamui black super soft tip, for the last 2 years, before that I had an Ikon 1 with the same 314-2.
Finally I decided to try a 314-3 shaft, I ordered it with the same Kamui black super soft tip, especially to have the same tip as before, in order to make a correct comparison...
Well after a week of playing with 314-3, I'm pretty sure it deflects more than my 314-2...which sounds strange, normally the new Predator shaft generation should be more precise/less deflection, right??
I tried different spin shots that I'm normally 100% making with my 314-2, and I'm undercutting them when using outside english, and overcutting them with inside english, with the 314-3 shaft...
I switched back to my 314-2, I see nothing justifying the upgrade to 314-3...on the contrary, I consider 314-2 a more solid and more precise shaft...but that's just me...curious to hear other opinions...

It kinda felt same for me as well kinda crazy i did feel that the vantage was lower maybe try that shaft

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with an 314-3 shaft on a 1000$ Predator butt, the cue feels deadly, no feedback, didn't like it.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
i dont care for my new 314^3. the two has much less deflection, Step backwards

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That comes as no surprise.
I`m pretty sure that the reason for 314/3 and Z3 really wasn`t about improving performance, but making a more solid shaft, so there are fewer returns to Predator.
314/2 and Z2 is in my experience the shafts with the most problems. I think thats because to get the performance, Predator strectched the physics of the materials used.

Last edited:

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea i was not fan of the hit i did kinda like the vantage but just gonna keep my 314-2

I played with a 314-2 for many years and recently switched to the vantage and love it. Haven't tried the 314-3 though.

Evil8 Billiards

EVIL8BILLIARDS.COM
Silver Member
I play with a 314-3 shaft. didn't like how it hit. So i decided to throw it on the lathe, remove the Crappy Victory Tip and V-Tek Fiber Tip Silencing. Installed a Moori Medium.
Hits great now. :thumbup:

throne4

Registered
Are you sure its not the swerve? I used the Z2 and now switched to the Z3. Deflection is bang on but on slower shots the cue ball swerve takes a while to get used to. The Z3 creates more spin than the Z2 which is the culprit.

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Are you sure its not the swerve? I used the Z2 and now switched to the Z3. Deflection is bang on but on slower shots the cue ball swerve takes a while to get used to. The Z3 creates more spin than the Z2 which is the culprit.
Pretty sure it's not the swerve, the shots I tried I was shooting quite firm so not enough time for the swerve to influence too much...

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What is the condition of your tip on the 314-2 compared to the 314-3?

I could never understand why I would get more squirt on my 314 when I went from a thin tip in need of replacement to a thick new tip. Someone pointed out to me (and don't ask me why didn't think of this before) that the new thicker tip adds to the end mass, thus increasing the squirt.

Gideon

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the condition of your tip on the 314-2 compared to the 314-3?

I could never understand why I would get more squirt on my 314 when I went from a thin tip in need of replacement to a thick new tip. Someone pointed out to me (and don't ask me why didn't think of this before) that the new thicker tip adds to the end mass, thus increasing the squirt.

Gideon

I've wondered about this, and I would think that a bigger tip would make the endmass less.

If the tip has less density than the ferrule right behind the tip, then the bigger tip would add more total mass to the entire shaft, but the percentage of mass closest to the CB would be lower. Again, this assumes the tip density is less than whatever it is glued onto.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've wondered about this, and I would think that a bigger tip would make the endmass less.

If the tip has less density than the ferrule right behind the tip, then the bigger tip would add more total mass to the entire shaft, but the percentage of mass closest to the CB would be lower. Again, this assumes the tip density is less than whatever it is glued onto.

Good question. I would have thought the hollow ferrule of the LD shafts would have less density than a leather tip, but I could well be wrong. *Paging the physics geeks*

Gideon

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you're using the Predator tip forget about it asap.
They suck!!!!!!!!
Get your self an Everest or Wizard or Kamui.....just something
other than that junk that comes with the shaft.

In think the ^2 came with Everest and they were/are spectacular.
Especially the Z2 with Everest.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
They suck!!!!!!!!

Yea I love the Everest as well one of my fav tips

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
They suck!!!!!!!!

I'm using a kamui black super soft tip, the same as on my 314-2, so don't think the tip is the issue...

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy, there isn't much difference if any. LD Shafts are pure marketing.

They suck!!!!!!!!

I used to hate the Everest on a predator, but they are actually quite good once they've hardened up.

My apologies to tiger.

RBC

Deceased
Crazy, there isn't much difference if any. LD Shafts are pure marketing.

SWN

I'm really curious why you feel that way.

As a guy who makes LD (low cue ball deflection) shafts, I'm absolutely certain that cue ball deflection is not only real, but it can be effected by the engineering of the cue shaft.

Do you not believe that cue ball deflection is real?

Do you not believe that our shafts reduce cue ball deflection?

I'm just trying to determine what the "marketing" is. You make it sound as though the marketing is making false claims. I can assure that we don't, and I can easily prove it as well.

I'm not trying to start a fight, or disrespect you in any way. Actually, I very much respect your opinion and thoughts and just really want to know more about how you came to feel the way you do.

I look forward to your response.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com