A tip that I like on old shaft, how to know what it is.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got two old shafts which have the same tip, I remember back in the days that I loved that tip so much, but being old and stuff I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.

I've switched shafts and now playing with the pro from Meucci and I want to put that tip on the new shafts, but I want the name, how can I identify what it is?

Is there anyone here that is good at it? I might take a picture if you can identify the brand of that tip.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got two old shafts which have the same tip, I remember back in the days that I loved that tip so much, but being old and stuff I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.

I've switched shafts and now playing with the pro from Meucci and I want to put that tip on the new shafts, but I want the name, how can I identify what it is?

Is there anyone here that is good at it? I might take a picture if you can identify the brand of that tip.
Almost impossible to do. Any answers are just gonna be guesses.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
How old is old? Might want to eliminate tips by age first and shorten the list.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, that tip might be completely different today. Just as an example, a LePro made today could be better or worse then 15 or 20 years ago. Raw materials, manufacturing differences, bean counters putting profit over QC, etc.

And, even if they were exactly the same, it might feel and respond entirely differently on a different make shaft, or even a different shaft from the same make. Its possible.

I would just start over. Try different tips and reevaluate.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have asked this in the past. Just find a good new tip, break it in and you'll play fine with it. Trying to re-create the exact same hit by finding that same tip will drive you crazy. Its like trying to find the exact same cue some pro used yrs ago.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'...might take a picture if you can identify the brand'...what kind of nutball logic is that?!

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll post a pic anyway since I am locked at home anyway, what else to do....

Answering questions

1: Tip is not too old, I think last year in summer when I installed it on two shafts, then I quit pool for one year and I recently came back using a diff shaft.

2: I got a good guess, because of the similarity of hwo it looks, it might be a Tiger dynamite, based on the look.

3: I know it isn't a G2 tip since it looks the same too, because I hate G2, I also know that it is not Kamui since I am not a fan of kamui and I always choose not to install that tip.

I'll take pic in the next post here.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'll take pic in the next post here.

Show a good clean view of the side of the tip, and scuff away any chalk on the top. There's about a 90% chance I can identify it, but only if you do those things. If it has chalk all over it, there's no way to tell.

Having said that, my money would probably be on a LePro. But as others have said, compositions have changed over time.

All the best,
WW

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It's a Kieckhefter Cannon Split, 13mm and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Unfortunately they were discontinued about 80 years ago but I have a couple. PM me for price.

(Wild Wing, I'll chop).

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Show a good clean view of the side of the tip, and scuff away any chalk on the top. There's about a 90% chance I can identify it, but only if you do those things. If it has chalk all over it, there's no way to tell.

Having said that, my money would probably be on a LePro. But as others have said, compositions have changed over time.

All the best,
WW

I brought the two shafts, cleaned the tip a little, scuffed it as you said, then to my surprised, it seem that each shaft got different tip, lol, I thought they both are the same tip, I still think both of them are some type of "Tiger tips" but not sure which ones, here are the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 137

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just noticed that the one at the top pic looks a bit wit from the cleaning, so it won't give a nice view.

Toxis

Registered
Thought it was the same tip, wants to buy them again, turns out had different tips. Sounds like you’re starting from scratch. Find the tip for the shaft, not from memory of yesteryear.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought it was the same tip, wants to buy them again, turns out had different tips. Sounds like you’re starting from scratch. Find the tip for the shaft, not from memory of yesteryear.

Ye I thought they were the same tip, do you think they are the same tip? after seeing them I am in doubt.

But ye I guess it is hard to identify them, Ill try Everest or Dynamite. I like Tiger tips.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like you need to go out and try every brown layered tip. I like the Searing ones, seem to me they hold their hardness rating and shape better than the Kamui ones.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ye I thought they were the same tip, do you think they are the same tip? after seeing them I am in doubt.

But ye I guess it is hard to identify them, Ill try Everest or Dynamite. I like Tiger tips.

If you tips are Everest, most likely the next to last layer (near the ferrule) would be red.

If you did not install them yourself, why not ask the guy who did?