Interesting BCA/WPA (not BCAPL) Rules Changes

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The new BCA Rule book is out. Here are two new rules....

(8/9/10 ball) Legal break only if minimum 3 balls pocketed or cross head string (or any combo)

(10 ball) 10 ball legally pocketed gets spotted unless it was last ball on table (player continues to shoot)

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

(8/9/10 ball) Legal break only if minimum 3 balls pocketed or cross foot string (or any combo)

(10 ball) 10 ball legally pocketed gets spotted unless it was last ball on table (player continues to shoot)

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
That would be "cross the head string" except that it is actually "touch the headstring". It's to prevent soft breaks. It probably isn't needed for amateur play at nine ball. It's another patch on the problem with the rack/break at nine ball.

As for "10 ball only counts last", I suspect it is going to be confusing and unpopular for a while.

For a summary of the other WPA rule changes for 2016, see my September (or so) article in Billiards Digest.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's consistent with local tournament rules I have bee seeing.
The idea appears to be to eliminate the soft quarantined ball breaking.
Does the new rule indicate the placement of the 9 ball? (Is it on the spot or is it behind the spotted 1 ball)

As far as the 10 ball only counting if last, I like it a lot. I would rather win or lose by finishing a rack verses a early 10 ball.

Last edited:

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the 10-ball change—it further differentiates it from 9-ball.

10-ball should be 10-ball, its own game, not just 9-ball with an extra ball.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be "cross the head string" except that it is actually "touch the headstring". It's to prevent soft breaks. It probably isn't needed for amateur play at nine ball. It's another patch on the problem with the rack/break at nine ball.

As for "10 ball only counts last", I suspect it is going to be confusing and unpopular for a while.

For a summary of the other WPA rule changes for 2016, see my September (or so) article in Billiards Digest.

Head string, of course. My head was saying "head" and my fingers typed foot.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Being from the land of no simonis and high humidity....the 3 balls past the headstring rule is flat out ridiculous. I break as hard as any living human being and I would be lucky to get 3 balls past the side pocket much less to the head of the table.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

(8/9/10 ball) Legal break only if minimum 3 balls pocketed or cross head string (or any combo)

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What's the change? We're playing a minimum of 4 (BCA), maybe what was, is 4
touching a cushion, seen a miscue last week and it came up that they needed 4 balls
doing something.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the change? We're playing a minimum of 4 (BCA), maybe what was, is 4
touching a cushion, seen a miscue last week and it came up that they needed 4 balls
doing something.

Previous rule was breaker must either sink a ball or drive four numbered balls to a rail. Allowed for soft break. Also how many times have you seen a miscue break pocket a ball but leave a whole clustered mess?

l82fish

Registered
This new break rule for eight ball is ridiculous, On a small table it might be okay but not on a big table. Newer players are going to struggle with this.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine once said: 'If you keep changing the rules enough, we'll be playing ping-pong'!
The break rule can't be managed without a ref. It invites more confrontations between players. Lets just rack 8 balls and put the 9 ball on the spot after the break! Both propositions are ridiculous.
The 10 ball rule is just as bad.
The BCA and WPA should only make rules for pro tourney play!
Leave the Amatuers alone. They have ruined 9 ball for years and continue to do so.
The USGA has refused to bifurcate golf for amatuers and Pros.
It has hurt the amatuer game. They dont care.
The BCA/WPA is failing the amatuer players just like golf.
In the 70's and 80's, the BCA rule book had two sets of rules for 9 ball.
Tournament rules using 1 foul, and 9-ball rules using 2 foul pushout.
Nobody played 1 foul for the cash, only for tourneys.
Somehow, the rules got changed ( again ) in the 80's to 1 foul only.
It's a terrible way to bet your cash!
Pushout forever!
ps
If you want to 'duck' , play 1 hole! You can 'duck' every shot!

jchance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will these rules apply from now in all WPA events then?

Here in France, we have been playing 3 past the headstring at 9-ball for 2 or 3 years now. I think it works pretty well.

At the start of this season, it was announced that the 9-ball would be placed on the foot spot for the break from now on and that early combo on 10 wouldn't end the rack. But the federation has now gone back on that, deciding to cancel the changes mid-season, citing match timing concerns.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Here in France, we have been playing 3 past the headstring at 9-ball for 2 or 3 years now. I think it works pretty well.

At the start of this season, it was announced that the 9-ball would be placed on the foot spot for the break from now on and that early combo on 10 wouldn't end the rack. But the federation has now gone back on that, deciding to cancel the changes mid-season, citing match timing concerns.

delete....duplicate

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

I hope they will apply this to all WPA events, seems like the players don't like luck and manipulated racking to rule the sport, much like having an illegal club in the PGA. Lucking in the 10 for a win, is truly a heart breaker when ya travel thousands of miles or spend thousands of dollars....only too get beat on the hill with a golden break.

Growing up in the states, as kids we found 9 ball too difficult and since we couldn't run 9 but once in a blue moon, we chose 6 ball. We realized, we first needed to learn to make shots/not get involved in ball patterns and breakouts. As we weaned ourselves off 6 ball we went to 9 ball. Looking at this latest change to 10 ball, I like it allot. My perspective is its like the difference between a par 3 golf course and a regulation golf course, ya gotta know how ta play really well too get results. I'd also like to see them implement one rule change, allowing each player one roll out per rack.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine once said: 'If you keep changing the rules enough, we'll be playing ping-pong'!
The break rule can't be managed without a ref. It invites more confrontations between players. Lets just rack 8 balls and put the 9 ball on the spot after the break! Both propositions are ridiculous.
The 10 ball rule is just as bad.
The BCA and WPA should only make rules for pro tourney play!
Leave the Amatuers alone. They have ruined 9 ball for years and continue to do so.
The USGA has refused to bifurcate golf for amatuers and Pros.
It has hurt the amatuer game. They dont care.
The BCA/WPA is failing the amatuer players just like golf.
In the 70's and 80's, the BCA rule book had two sets of rules for 9 ball.
Tournament rules using 1 foul, and 9-ball rules using 2 foul pushout.
Nobody played 1 foul for the cash, only for tourneys.
Somehow, the rules got changed ( again ) in the 80's to 1 foul only.
It's a terrible way to bet your cash!
Pushout forever!
ps
If you want to 'duck' , play 1 hole! You can 'duck' every shot!

The sky isn't falling (yet...wait til Trump takes office for that)

Amateur play is governed very well by the major league organizations, and while their rule books are primarily driven by the WPA rules, they do a good job tailoring the rule set for us whackers.

Ideally there would be one set of rules worldwide or countrywide, but even in the case of golf's singular USGA rulebook, local amateur leagues and courses modify those rules for amateur play.

Personally I believe that the BCAPL rulebook, with its ever-growing set of applied rulings, is the best overall rulebook in amateur pool. Normally I would slam on the APA rules here but it's the holiday season and I'm trying to be nicer to everyone. :)

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Previous rule was breaker must either sink a ball or drive four numbered balls to a rail. Allowed for soft break. Also how many times have you seen a miscue break pocket a ball but leave a whole clustered mess?
um, can't say I have or recall anyways.
This will be something to watch for, or, if this new rule come's up. I'm not going to bring
it up at first, rather see if, watching breaks, to see if this is any big deal. There's a
number of gals in this league, pretty good players, they're also or she is also league
secretary - running the show.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope they will apply this to all WPA events, seems like the players don't like luck and manipulated racking to rule the sport, much like having an illegal club in the PGA. Lucking in the 10 for a win, is truly a heart breaker when ya travel thousands of miles or spend thousands of dollars....only too get beat on the hill with a golden break.

I have no issue with requiring the 10 to be called and to always be spotted on the break (until now that was the WPA 10b rule), but now you can't win the game with a called combo or carom on the 10b. It is a major change, although one that will favour the stronger player in the long run, and I am still trying to decide if I like it.

I have a completely different fundamental issue. I think the organizations need to stop f*cking around with the rules unless absolutely necessary. The 9b break is one change that might be necessary at the highest pro level, but fundamental changes make it hard to grow the sport and increase acceptance of "real" rules as opposed to bar rules. For years I've run into players in bars who understand what is often just called "ball in hand rules" - which are really the old BCA rules. They don't know they were BCA rules, but they (or maybe a friend, or a friend of a friend) played league and they know them. We can play with a common understanding. Messing with that should only be done for a very good reason.