What kind of oil to use on joint?

bencho

n00b
Silver Member
Hi,

The joint on my Lucasi has not been very smooth lately. Someone told me to put a drop of oil on it but I can't remember what type of oil. Can it be just regular cooking oil? Or how about Vaseline? I remember putting Vaseline on my DZ cue and that got rid of all squeaking.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I would not recommend using oil on a joint. Oil and wood don't mix.
Instead, use a small (and I mean small) dab of vasoline.

Duffman

Barboxer for life.
Silver Member
I dont know why you would oil a joint. But if I was going to, I'd use hemp oil. :)

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
You may want to try just putting a bit of soap (hard soap, bar soap) on the threads. Assemble and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

9 on the snap

Budweiser fears me
Silver Member
I would clean it with alcohol. You are asking for problems down the road if you add anythiny which will leave a residue

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Hmmm, oil and wood don't mix, so you advise petroleum jelly?

Petroleum products and wood are not good together.

Mineral oil is a very common finish for wooden salad bowls and cutting boards.

Personally, I'd use a tiny bit of beeswax or carnuba wax.

Actually, I guess that is a lie. I'd not worry about the squeaking (unless I thought the wood had swelled from moisture).

When I wrote that I knew someone would comment on it.
In that case, spray the hell out of it with W-D40. What do I care?

dave sutton

Banned
trust me... u wont have any problems using dawn or palmolive. ive been doing it for over 10 years.... just a drop or two. hes not filling the hole with soap. there will be no problems down the road. most cuemakers seal wood threads with something. dish soap can be used on wood or brass inserts

i would not clean it with alcohol. the joint is too dry and needs lubed up. i dont think anyone on earth has used alcohol for lube.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Given that it's a lucasi, it's likely a pin and insert so putting a dab of oil on the pin won't affect any wood. Use mineral oil, 3-in-1 oil, WD-40, 10W30, dish soap, hemp oil, whatever. It'll all stop the squeaking. Just a dab, nothing overboard. Even rubbing the pin with wax paper out of your kitchen would prolly work.

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
As many have said above just use a TINY drop of most anything.

What I use is Ballistol. It's non-toxic, biodegradable and not harmful to wood or plastic. In fact if you read the label you can spray it on plants or into the soil as a nutrient.

http://www.ballistol.com/
http://www.firehawktech.com/Ballistol/index.html

When in doubt as to what to use (and I must have a dozen different types of special lubricants), I grab the Ballistol since it's not harmful to much of anything.

Last edited:

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I would clean it with alcohol. You are asking for problems down the road if you add anythiny which will leave a residue

This is what Predator recommends doing to clean the brass dust out of the insert. That is what causes the binding or squeaking. The tolerances are very close so any kind of grime can cause failure. Plus, brass is malleable meaning it molds into a foil and can "weld" the pin into the insert.

Use alcohol and a q-tip.

pic 1.JPG

pic 6.JPG

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
What kind of joint?

If it is a uniloc joint clean it with alcohol. Apply nothing that would retain dirt as that could be detrimental to the unilock joint.
We have all heard stories of them getting stuck together due to dirt.
If it is a radial pin lube it with bees wax or for that matter chapstick will work just fine as it contains the bees wax you need.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
I agree with everybody that has said you need to clean your joint. I do however not recommend using:
  • alchohol
  • dishwashing fluid
  • wd/40
  • petroleum jelly
  • petroleum based lubricants
  • solvents
a slightly moist qtip or cotton swab should be all you need. There are non petroleum based lubricants you can purchase for small scale machines housed in plastic you could probably use. A very small squirt Electrical grade spray silicone lubricant would be my suggestion.

HeLLFiSH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

The joint on my Lucasi has not been very smooth lately. Someone told me to put a drop of oil on it but I can't remember what type of oil. Can it be just regular cooking oil? Or how about Vaseline? I remember putting Vaseline on my DZ cue and that got rid of all squeaking.

given that its a Lucasi, the easiest solution to the joint problem is to get rid of the Lucasi. No Lucasi = No Joint Problem.

briandlau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an issue once with a custom cue. the joint became so tight it was almost impossible to screw the shaft no without using all of my force. Unscrewing was even harder.

The resolution? Dry Ivory bar soap...no moisturizer. Rub the bar all over the thread. Screw and unscrew your cut together a few times and presto... Problem gone for good.

mm4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
trust me... u wont have any problems using dawn or palmolive. ive been doing it for over 10 years.... just a drop or two. hes not filling the hole with soap. there will be no problems down the road. most cuemakers seal wood threads with something. dish soap can be used on wood or brass inserts

i would not clean it with alcohol. the joint is too dry and needs lubed up. i dont think anyone on earth has used alcohol for lube.

i have been known to use alcohol to lube (loosen up) a few of the women i have known, lol.

Mike

mm4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seriously though, i would think that a little bit of bar soap or parafin wax on the threads would take care things without damage to the wood or too much residue.

Mike