What kind of oil to use on joint?

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Man some of you sick bastards have alcohol, Vaseline, KY Jelly and hemp ... oil lying around ... :grin:

bencho

n00b
Silver Member
Whoa, this thread just exploded since I posted!

Ok, so it is a uniloc joint. The shaft is piloted so the joint does not touch wood directly. There seems to be heavy debate between just using water, or oil, or wax, or petroleum, or whatever. I think I'm going to start with just a qtip and water and see if that helps.

George. I hate you.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I have used candle wax on joints with good success.

Has anyone tried powdered graphite, the kind used to lubricate key locks?

Steve

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Has anyone tried powdered graphite, the kind used to lubricate key locks?

Steve

I used to have a tube of powdered graphite that I used to "slick up" the actions on my bolt-action rifles. Worked very well!!!

I also have used dish soap to aid in getting a real tight buttcap on more easily.

Maniac

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I'll tell you, for a really simple question, on a really simple subject, this thread went to hell in a handbasket.
What about gorilla s**t, will that work? :grin:

greenlight

Go
Silver Member
After cleaning the pin, i use a very small amount of gun grease on threads. Same stuff you use on the slide of an automatic pistol. Works smooth as silk.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
i have been known to use alcohol to lube (loosen up) a few of the women i have known, lol.

Mike

My experience with that method is that it creates more noise than it prevents. Also intended. :eek:k:

Jim

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll tell you, for a really simple question, on a really simple subject, this thread went to hell in a handbasket.
What about gorilla s**t, will that work? :grin:

Of course not! The seeds from the berries they eat will get stuck in the threads.:grin-square:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
if you got garbage in there stick a few pipe cleaners in there and swirl them around. Then blow out the holes with a can of air duster. Use BAR SOAP to fix squeaky joints, thats what a carpenter uses for squeaky drawers and such, can not beat the bar soap.

Just like when you use a screw and the board cracks, put some bar soap on it and it wont crack.

SOAP IS MAGICAL!
Grey Ghost

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what Predator recommends doing to clean the brass dust out of the insert. That is what causes the binding or squeaking. The tolerances are very close so any kind of grime can cause failure. Plus, brass is malleable meaning it molds into a foil and can "weld" the pin into the insert.

Use alcohol and a q-tip.

View attachment 129273

View attachment 129274

This is what happened to my Predator. I would follow these directions. My joint got stuck on the second use. I thought I was going to have to return it. What ever happened to QA.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
turn the cue upside down and dunk the joint in a cup of oil. any oil will do, the thicker the better. i promise the cue wont squeak ever again. :grin: j/k

mm4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with that method is that it creates more noise than it prevents. Also intended. :eek:k:

Jim

thats where the rolled up sock or strategically placed pillow comes in my friend, :wink: lol

Mike

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
Ok, so it is a uniloc joint. The shaft is piloted so the joint does not touch wood directly. There seems to be heavy debate between just using water, or oil, or wax, or petroleum, or whatever. I think I'm going to start with just a qtip and water and see if that helps.

WATER=BAD
USE THE ALCOHOL AND A Q-TIP.

RYAN IS THE MAN, TRUST HIM. HE'S NOT GOING TO LEAD YOU THE WRONG WAY.

SOAP, VASELINE, KY, AND CHAPSTIK ALL WORK ON A METAL PIN INTO WOOD THREAD JOINT LIKE THE RADIAL PIN.

Marcus