CAUDRON 25 and out

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wish my local table (sadly only 1 in my area) was as well kept. This was an inspirational performance!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
wish my local table (sadly only 1 in my area) was as well kept. This was an inspirational performance!
Quite a nice run. Lots of shots to learn from there.

I know what you mean about poorly kept carom tables. I recently ran into at table in a student union games room that had thick fuzzy cloth. 3-cushion was a good name for what I tried to play since 4- or 5-cushion shots couldn't be made.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Quite a nice run. Lots of shots to learn from there.

I know what you mean about poorly kept carom tables. I recently ran into at table in a student union games room that had thick fuzzy cloth. 3-cushion was a good name for what I tried to play since 4- or 5-cushion shots couldn't be made.

Late 70s....walked into a room in Carbondale IL.....saw a GC 3-cushion table...
...took one shot...brought the balls back and asked for pool balls.
The owner asked “Something wrong?”....said “Putting 760 Simonis on a carom table...
...is like white-washing a Porsche.”....:angry:

Yorkshire, UK....they had a 9-foot Gandy...wanted to see some pool...I looked at it...
...they had put a 40 oz. cloth with directional nap on it...I alibied politely....
...but wouldn’t hit a ball on it.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a FANTASTIC video! Love the graphics.

Wow...

24 and 25 were both spot on ... I didn’t even see a couple of those
5 railers coming

25 and just a stop! Was so in the zone that you wonder how far he
Could have gone. I remember back ‘when’ an average of 1 was
Considered ‘good’... I do know the conditions have gotten better since
Then (or seem to have)

Looks like 3c has an even bigger challenge than ‘pool’ from a spectator
Count.

Td

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
wow the bad luck

jaspers n caudron in the final

jaspers is up 29 to 9 at 9 innings

he loses 40 to 34 in 13

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I enjoyed the whole run....Caudron is a joy to watch.
I especially liked the fifth point...stiff it and let it float...feels better than that other indoor sport.
# 24 also, but not as extreme

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which was the 5th? Where he came of first ball perfectly flat and then used L to make cb come off side rail...then completing the natural 3railer?

That one was brilliant.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Late 70s....walked into a room in Carbondale IL.....saw a GC 3-cushion table...
...took one shot...brought the balls back and asked for pool balls.
The owner asked “Something wrong?”....said “Putting 760 Simonis on a carom table...
...is like white-washing a Porsche.”....:angry:

Yorkshire, UK....they had a 9-foot Gandy...wanted to see some pool...I looked at it...
...they had put a 40 oz. cloth with directional nap on it...I alibied politely....
...but wouldn’t hit a ball on it.

That's table is where I was introduced to the game. 70's would have been Crazy Horse, later Gatsby's. Unless you were playing on the steel framed Brunswick coming out of mothballs from somewhere in the area and placed in Stardust. That would be probably 80's. Islanddrive could help verify the dates.

Crazyhorse's table was also 9'. Wasn't 760 Simonis, it was probably Mali or whatever was cheapest. Nappy for sure. Maybe rubber backed maybe. There's no doubt, I brushed a lot of tables in the late 70's in Carbondale, IL.

That was really the only place 3Cushion was played and the experts were the Elizer's. Father and son. Sammy the elder, took me under his wing. Melvin was of course better because of age. Likely the only reason. Sammy played and saw all the old time greats. Lived in Chicago from Canada in the days of Hoppe before moving South, to Carbondale moving his sawmill and horses.

Oh the stories, Billiards and otherwise. He was 80 or so when I met him, 1973, 5' tall in heels and a giant cigar always in his mouth but when he was taking a difficult shot. Then it came out and went to the rail. Played with a jointed Titlest. No Rambow signature.

Oh and all the tables in the room were AMF.

The good ol days.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great run! My favorite shot was the final one, a tricky long-pattern shot. Just exquisite.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That's table is where I was introduced to the game. 70's would have been Crazy Horse, later Gatsby's. Unless you were playing on the steel framed Brunswick coming out of mothballs from somewhere in the area and placed in Stardust. That would be probably 80's. Islanddrive could help verify the dates.

Crazyhorse's table was also 9'. Wasn't 760 Simonis, it was probably Mali or whatever was cheapest. Nappy for sure. Maybe rubber backed maybe. There's no doubt, I brushed a lot of tables in the late 70's in Carbondale, IL.

That was really the only place 3Cushion was played and the experts were the Elizer's. Father and son. Sammy the elder, took me under his wing. Melvin was of course better because of age. Likely the only reason. Sammy played and saw all the old time greats. Lived in Chicago from Canada in the days of Hoppe before moving South, to Carbondale moving his sawmill and horses.

Oh the stories, Billiards and otherwise. He was 80 or so when I met him, 1973, 5' tall in heels and a giant cigar always in his mouth but when he was taking a difficult shot. Then it came out and went to the rail. Played with a jointed Titlest. No Rambow signature.

Oh and all the tables in the room were AMF.

The good ol days.

I was there in ‘78...pretty sure it was all Gold Crowns....Campus billiards?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there in ‘78...pretty sure it was all Gold Crowns....Campus billiards?

The Student Center was all Gold Crowns. Typical State University Room of the day. 1 10' Carom table and several pool tables. This one also had Brunswick bowling lanes.
Don't remember a snooker table. Don't remember any difference in cloth here or downtown. I think it was all shag carpet no matter.

Was there such a thing as 760 or 860 then? I don't know that answer. Between 80 and 85 or 89 or so I didn't play at all. When did 300 come on strong here in the States? Maybe a question for Jewett.

I missed the transition.

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched it again. The shot I spoke of was @2:58. I think it is pt3.

Such precise execution.

I think #23 said he was unstoppable if he had to go to 50. Not that he would have made the entire run to 50 but that shot was unnecessary. It wasn't an extremely fantastic shot either. It was fun, he knew/felt it would go and what the heck, if I miss I need 2 and he needs 25. Lets have a little fun.

He was in the Zone, Caudron's Zone. Geeez. Hate it to be life and death match when he's there.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The Student Center was all Gold Crowns. Typical State University Room of the day. 1 10' Carom table and several pool tables. This one also had Brunswick bowling lanes.
Don't remember a snooker table. Don't remember any difference in cloth here or downtown. I think it was all shag carpet no matter.

Was there such a thing as 760 or 860 then? I don't know that answer. Between 80 and 85 or 89 or so I didn't play at all. When did 300 come on strong here in the States? Maybe a question for Jewett.

I missed the transition.

The Rack in Detroit was using a Granito cloth that was quicker than 860...’70s
...I played 9-ball on a carom cloth in Baker’s in Tampa earlier than that.
Mali wasn’t all that slow either...sometimes it was a bad installation..loose cloth made it slow.

‘Course, I had a snooker background, where the fastest cloth I played on was 26 oz.
Any decent pool cloth was 20 to 22 oz,.24 was slow...those weights are per square yard.