If I dislike gloves and powder, what can I use

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Carpe.jpg

https://www.mycarpe.com/carpe-hand

This is what I've been using for several months now. And, I live in south Louisiana where the humidity is wetter than water.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lady Used to Post on Here

I don’t like gloves either, but have you tried a finger wrap, available from Seyberts? That’s what I’ve been using for the last two years and I love them.

Started to mention these myself. A lady that made the finger wraps used to post on here. I like the finger wraps better than a glove, still prefer nothing. Can't remember the lady's name but she was great to deal with. Having hands that look more like table tennis paddles with fingers than the average hand, I needed a custom set. Not a problem! They reside in a pill bottle in my cue case. They don't take up much room and they are light.

I would give both the lady and the product an A+. I think they are called finger slides, not sure. I don't remember her name at the moment either. Much less confining and sweaty than a glove but I still prefer washing my hands often, cold water though, not hot. When my hands are sweating my face and neck are too and washing them usually perks me up a bit! I'm sure some think my frequent trips to the bathroom are about keeping my mix right but I'm not a chemical player.

Hu

Jds.3211

Jds.3211
I needed chalk when I first started shooting, especially when I was nervous. I found the chalk eventually made my cue shaft dirtier and exacerbated the problem. As I got a little less nervous, I quit using chalk and periodically wipe my shaft down. I've never had an issue since with clean hands and a clean shaft.

Best luck
John

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a guy at the room where I first learned to play. He went to the restroom and got a dry paper towel and wrapped it around the shaft and then closed his bridge hand around the paper towel. Of course it looked goofy and we laughed at him, but it worked. Maybe it will get your opponents to bet higher when they shouldn't.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old dude at the bar used a ten dollar bill wrapped around the shaft... of course that also qualified as “bait”.....

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll chime in with my vote for carbon. It's an expensive solution, but CF shafts are incredibly smooth and stay that way far longer than any wood shaft I've used.

Stupid simple to clean too.

That said, keeping a wood shaft clean, and using a drop or so of CueSilk worked well for me before I switched to a CF shaft.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There really isn't a shaft treatment that will work all the time. You can wax it and then burnish with a leather pad.

Can wipe it down with a damp paper towel and then burnish with a dry paper towel which will help. I can't stand a sticky shaft, so I've tried most things. And the reality is keeping it clean and keeping your hands clean will help more than anything. Of course my favorite shaft is almost blue from all the chalk dust that is in the pores, but it is also smooth as silk.
What he said ^^^

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi, first-time post, been lurking for a while.

Today as I'm using powder it suddenly hit me, that I really don't like it, there are many things that I dislike about powder, it makes the table dirty first of all, it also has a smell that I dislike too, not the perfume itself but the powdery smell I guess.

Then also I really really hate gloves, I can't play well with them, so what are my other options guys? any recommendations of other options that are available.

I use wood shafts btw, and please don't tell me to wash your hands and wipe your shaft, please :) I need an alternative product that makes my shaft not make that squeezing sound as I'm using my closed bridge.

I looked at serybert, do products like cue silk miracle shaft work? and can I use them before every set or does that harm my shaft?

renaissance wax on the shaft

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I use wood shafts btw, and please don't tell me to wash your hands and wipe your shaft,

Thank you for the LOL. Reminds me of when I was driving cab. A lady gave me an address south of town but every time I tried to go south she instructed me to go the other way.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
doesn't it itch? i tried the equivalent for armpit... wasn't a pleasant few hours

No itching at all. This company doesn't make any product for under arms, just hands. I've spoken with the owner/inventor at length. He markets the same product with different labels for different sports: golf, bowling, billiards, etc. Main ingredient is alum.

Unlike the other product I posted, Carpe - which is an actual treatment - this is temporary and washes off. I haven't worn a glove in months, and this is the high humidity time of the year.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think the best solution is lots of hard work and wear no work gloves. The only reason I think that I do not have "sticky shaft syndrome" is because my hands are so calloused, I think the callouses are too thick to sweat thru. I can also scuff aluminum with my bare hands. :thumbup::thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think the best solution is lots of hard work and wear no work gloves. The only reason I think that I do not have "sticky shaft syndrome" is because my hands are so calloused, I think the callouses are too thick to sweat thru. I can also scuff aluminum with my bare hands. :thumbup::thumbup:

I got a friend from Johnstown NY....worked in metal...his bridge was like yours...
...but he wore a thin wool glove on his stroking hand..so he didn’t have to squeeze the butt.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a guy at the room where I first learned to play. He went to the restroom and got a dry paper towel and wrapped it around the shaft and then closed his bridge hand around the paper towel. Of course it looked goofy and we laughed at him, but it worked. Maybe it will get your opponents to bet higher when they shouldn't.

There was a Boy's Club in town that had three tables segregated by size and player age. One of the kids there used a paper towel and that caught on. I used one when I went there. 2 or three millennia and several diet modifications later my hands dried up. I just silicone the shaft and that's good for the session.

More useful than gloves would be hand held prosthetic bridges. They'd aid in alignment and elevation besides nullifying the effects of sticky hands.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
5C7D3BD9-5C2C-4835-97F6-D7C0DD881879.jpegThis is my solution. I shoot with either hand. The forbidden solution goes hand in hand with my pool finger.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a friend from Johnstown NY....worked in metal...his bridge was like yours...
...but he wore a thin wool glove on his stroking hand..so he didn’t have to squeeze the butt.

When I was younger I played with a guy who was in
his 50's. Had hands like a scotch brite. He worked
in concrete.
Gloves? A workin man don't need no gloves

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you first used powder or a glove because the cue just did not glide through your bare hands as you would desire then let me give you 20 years of trial and error experience. Nothing other than a pool glove will allow that cue to glide through your bridge hand on EVERY SHOT. I have tried just about everything named in all the above posts. With any of these products or ideas- AT SOME POINT- during your match- maybe at a critical point- you will feel some cue resistance in your bridge and it will affect that very shot or your mind.

i urge you to just stay with the glove- EVERY shot is the same and that is one of the basics of great pool. I wish I needed nothing but my bare hands on the cue- but, like you, ANY resistance affects my shooting- so please opt for 100% consistency and learn to get used to it! You will be rewarded over time. Most of our greatest pros today who feel they want no resistance in their stroke and 100% consistency use the glove- I cannot speak for carbon fiber shafts since I have no interest in them.

I am not knocking any advice from others- but I really have tried them all- the waxes, cue silks, etc. etc. - I say only a glove will work 100% IF your hands are that sensitive like mine- the slightest drag throws off my focus.

Last edited: