ob clasic pro problems

Crawlers

Registered
So I have the old version of the classic pro, not the plus.
I had a kamui black clear put on it about 6 months ago. When the person who did the job did it he took off the protective carbon pad that protects the ferrule. I didn't think anything of it....

Now, 6 months later I have this problem. The ferrule had come loose! With the tip still attached! The ferrule fits around part of the shaft which houses foam.
The old carbon pad used to cap this to give the tip something to adhere to.

Now that this pad is gone how do I repair the shaft?
Anyone ob experienced have input?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yeah, you need to go back to the guy, tell him you want the pad you took off and put back on. You don't have to change the pad every time you change a tip. appears this guy is not too familiar with LD shafts.

Well, he's learning, and its now going to cost him only a couple of bucks for the pad, (assuming he threw the other one away) and his labor to reinstall the tip correctly

Crawlers

Registered
I think the pad is toast, he ground it off.
I think it's what caused the loosening of the ferrule. However the to job is months old now.
Also... the tip is padded, kamui clear/black... should you put a pad on a pad?

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Yeah, you need to go back to the guy, tell him you want the pad you took off and put back on. You don't have to change the pad every time you change a tip. appears this guy is not too familiar with LD shafts.

Well, he's learning, and its now going to cost him only a couple of bucks for the pad, (assuming he threw the other one away) and his labor to reinstall the tip correctly

What he said

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I think the pad is toast, he ground it off.
I think it's what caused the loosening of the ferrule. However the to job is months old now.
Also... the tip is padded, kamui clear/black... should you put a pad on a pad?

I think the tip is padded to protect the tip (moisture from the glue and such) The fiber pad protects the ferrule. So, they do different things. He screwed up. tell him to fix it. or bite the bullet, and take it to someone a little better.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not certain if the ferrule would come loose because the pad is missing, but that's where you are regardless. So, you can send it to OB for repair, check their Web site for info.

Alternatives wold be...

A) If the ferrule is not longer fitting or is damaged, find a local cue repair guy; it's not a difficult problem to fix and you don't need a full service shop; just someone with a lathe who can install a new ferrule and tip. Just make sure if they replace the ferrule that they use the same material and same size as the one you had before so it doesn't change the cue characteristics..

B) If you don't have a cue repair guy, you can send it to a repair shop. Check the cue-makers forum for someone who can do the job, or use someone like Seyberts (who uses KJ Custom Cues I think) to have the repair done.

C) If the ferrule screws or slides back down and still seats correctly, just clean out the old glue and re-glue it back in place with the right glue and let it properly cure (ask in the cue-makers section for glue recommendations, but Gorilla Glue or Loctite CA gel glue comes to mind). If the ferrule or shaft wood has any damage, if you can't clean the old glue without damaging the ferrule/shaft, or if the ferrule doesn't seat properly don't bother and have it properly repaired.

In any of the above cases, get the tip replaced and have a new pad re-installed.

Good luck.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Ob

1. Only take your cue to be repaired by a authorized OB cue repairman.

2. I wouldn't reuse the ferrule.........................

3, The shaft has a special ferrule...

Once the carbon pad was removed and you played with the cue, it voided the warranty on the shaft.................................

RBC

Deceased
Crawlers

Send it to us. Follow the steps on our website.

You pay for shipping and a new tip and we'll put a new ferrule on it for you.

Royce

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Royce you're the man! I've never dealt with you before but everytime I see anyone with a problem with an OB product, you're there dealing with it, and doing a fine job!

It's bc of this that I decided to finally give OB a try. I haven't regretted it either. Possibly the best move I've made. Keep up the good work!