Which ball set should I buy?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
My opinion is that it seems many people seem to be giving these Cyclop balls a chance, likely largely because they are endorsed and sold by Diamond Billiards, which many feel makes the best professional quality pool table available right now, because they currently endorse and are used in a number of pro tournaments, and the price - which puts them in line (but slightly less than) other more proven top quality balls - Aramith Pro, Aramith Tournament and Brunswick Centennials. I'd love to hear more testimonials from pro players who have used them before I'd consider purchasing a set over any of the other tried and true top quality options, but without having tried them, I can't give an opinion.

Some of my Cyclops balls have little chips out. I've never seen that before with any other ball. None have flown off the table or been abused. I won't be buying more.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I just sent him $273 so I hope he is for real. :)

yes he does tons of deal, your alright with him

also for future reference, there is an open billiard market buy seller transaction report group where you can get confirmation if someones a good guy or scammer

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of my Cyclops balls have little chips out. I've never seen that before with any other ball. None have flown off the table or been abused. I won't be buying more.
Completely unacceptable if they haven't been abused. Possibly an issue with the some of the original sets? I'd contact the dealer you purchased them from to see if they'll make it right and send you some new ones. I believe someone who posts here not long ago reported a similar problem, and eventually got a new replacement set out of it, or at least replacement balls for the ones that were defective. It can't hurt to try. If you do a forum search on Cyclop balls, you should be able to find that member that had the problem and send them a private message, to possibly get some advice on how they were eventually able to resolve this.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Completely unacceptable if they haven't been abused. Possibly an issue with the some of the original sets? I'd contact the dealer you purchased them from to see if they'll make it right and send you some new ones. I believe someone who posts here not long ago reported a similar problem, and eventually got a new replacement set out of it, or at least replacement balls for the ones that were defective. It can't hurt to try. If you do a forum search on Cyclop balls, you should be able to find that member that had the problem and send them a private message, to possibly get some advice on how they were eventually able to resolve this.

The pool room I play at had an issue with a couple of chipped 1 balls, right around the number.

They contacted Diamond and got two replacement balls at cost. I believe these were older, perhaps first run sets.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can you share pics of the chipped cyclop balls?

I have a first gen set, no issues that I recall, but they have been in their box for the last year..

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you share pics of the chipped cyclop balls?

I have a first gen set, no issues that I recall, but they have been in their box for the last year..

Here is the 8 ball.

Attachments

• 8 ball.jpg
    8 ball.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 243

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Here is the 8 ball.

when I first saw the Cyclop balls being used it was in a streamed CSI event from Vegas and I bought one of the ball sets that were used there. I was disappointed with them in general and especially with the cue ball which was not only translucent looking but that damned eye logo was actually raised on the surface of the ball.

I thought how could a company mfg'ing pool ball sets, even a new company, make such a basic error in judgement like having their logo protrude from the ball surface.

There was no reason other than sheer curiosity that I turned away from Aramith's tried and true products and I won't do it again.

Seeing what your 8b looks like after normal use is alarming but not surprising to me. There has to be a learning curve when it comes to producing high quality balls and it seems Cyclop is at the very early part of it while Saluc/Aramith has been doing it (and perfecting it) for about 70 years.

I'm encouraged to see some guys are having a good experience with Cyclop but I've never had a bad experience with Aramith ball set's that I've owned including Centennials, Super Pros and my current Duramith Tourney set.

I've never seen chipping like what's on your Cyclop 8b with any Aramith ball in normal use.

I believe the quality of the Belgian made balls exceed Chinese made balls.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you ever come into Tempe for tournaments?

Hey neighbor!! We play our state finals in Chandler at Skip (no relation) and Jan's. My son lives in Mesa.

I don't know if you would happen to know Robert Berry but I just sent him a text asking if he was interested in being my pool coach. If you are local and know a good option for that I would appreciate it. I plan to come to the Phoenix area once a week to improve my game.

I took a course from Roger Long but he is very limited. I took lessons from Jerry Briesath but he has failing health.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes he does tons of deal, your alright with him

also for future reference, there is an open billiard market buy seller transaction report group where you can get confirmation if someones a good guy or scammer

Thanks, I looked at that but it is all FaceBook and I closed my Facebook account, way too much traffic for me and everyone wondered why I didn't respond but I never logged on.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when I first saw the Cyclop balls being used it was in a streamed CSI event from Vegas and I bought one of the ball sets that were used there. I was disappointed with them in general and especially with the cue ball which was not only translucent looking but that damned eye logo was actually raised on the surface of the ball.

I thought how could a company mfg'ing pool ball sets, even a new company, make such a basic error in judgement like having their logo protrude from the ball surface.

There was no reason other than sheer curiosity that I turned away from Aramith's tried and true products and I won't do it again.

Seeing what your 8b looks like after normal use is alarming but not surprising to me. There has to be a learning curve when it comes to producing high quality balls and it seems Cyclop is at the very early part of it while Saluc/Aramith has been doing it (and perfecting it) for about 70 years.

I'm encouraged to see some guys are having a good experience with Cyclop but I've never had a bad experience with Aramith ball set's that I've owned including Centennials, Super Pros and my current Duramith Tourney set.

I've never seen chipping like what's on your Cyclop 8b with any Aramith ball in normal use.

I believe the quality of the Belgian made balls exceed Chinese made balls.

best,
brian kc

I see you have both super pro and tournament. Do you notice a difference and if so which do you prefer?

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the effort. Pool balls are surprisingly hard to take pictures of

Yes, got a lot of glare under my table light. After rechecking, the 8 ball is the only one that has a little chip out. So must have got a bad ball there. The others are all fine.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again to the OP for posting this question, as I was in need of a good lead on a nice set. I think I have decided to get the Brunswick Centennial set, so what is the best source for those?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, got a lot of glare under my table light. After rechecking, the 8 ball is the only one that has a little chip out. So must have got a bad ball there. The others are all fine.

Which mark is the chip?

What are the rest of the marks?

Us be inclined to say perhaps your had a moment of improper care, but as you are not the only one...that theory could be questioned too...

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've been using Aramith Premier Balls, for the BreakRAK for 17 years. That's all we can use for that Break Shot Environment.

I've had a set of Centennials & Crowns for probably 10 years.

That's what we use .

Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this as part of a post in the Mechanics section and I know there is an equipment section as well but I am looking for very general opinions. There are 124 players viewing this section and 4 on each of the others. I am not looking just for professional opinions or technical analysis, just practical advice from my fellow players.

I read reviews but they seem to be slanted towards whatever they are selling. One rated Diamond Cyclops the top and another didn't mention it at all. One rated the Aramith Crowne over the Aramith Pro. I don't know what they were considering unless it was price. The Pro and Tournament are much more expensive so I would assume the quality should be better then the Crowne but that is just an assumption.

I also don't know when I am paying for status and no longer going to be able to tell any difference.

Aramith has the Crowne $98, Premium $164, Pro $262, and Tournament Pro $340 and the new Pro Tournament Cup $387.

Diamond seems to make one level, the Cyclops $240. There are also Brusnwick, Empire, Izzy, T and R, Epco, Loto and probably a lot more.

Where should I draw the line? All suggestions appreciated.

I bought the Aramith Crowne ($98) balls when I first bought a table. I played with them for many years and they were great. The only major difference I noticed was that they played a little lighter than the more expensive ball sets which affects the contact throw more than anything (in my opinion). They were still nice balls and played better than 99% of the balls you come across in random bars. If you went to a pool hall and they gave you the Crowne set, you could probably play all day and not notice that they gave you a cheaper set. I doubt I would notice unless it was really on my mind.

If I were to do it again I would probably go one step up to the Premiums. I can't imagine the difference from the Premium set to the Pro Tournament Cup set is very drastic although I've never personally tested it.

On the other hand, a set of decent balls will last practically forever. A few hundred bucks for a lifelong purchase is pretty insignificant in the long run. Maybe you should splurge?

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the other hand, a set of decent balls will last practically forever. A few hundred bucks for a lifelong purchase is pretty insignificant in the long run. Maybe you should splurge?

This IS how I looked at it. I am willing to splurge, just wanted to know for what and why. I opted for the Cyclops set then there were several posts about chipping. Luckily they were all for original sets and I got the latest version. My biggest risk is buying them from a guy who only sells on Facebook because he is the only one who had any. The other suppliers were out of stock.

Worst case it is a mistake and I buy a set or Super Pros or Tournaments. From the little I heard I might prefer the Super Pros. The harder surface and 40 year playing life doesn't mean much to me but if they play a little "heavier" I would prefer the lighter faster set.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the cyclop set is top notch.

I switched back to my super pros about a year ago, after playing with the cyclop for about a year and I am about done with that experiment. (Can anybody find that thread?)

The aramith get clingy far too quickly and play too light (as in low mass), vs the cyclop set.

The skittles palette cyclop set is horrible. Glad I went standard.

All that said: super pro, centennial, cyclop, duramith...all great choices. Buy from reputable dealer.

So, is the Ares set the "standard" Cyclop set?

If so, $199 with free shipping from Seybert's seems like a pretty good deal.