Which ball set should I buy?

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith Tournament with the Duramith. I don't know about the Tournament Pro. Maybe a coloring change?

Aramith has so many sets with similar names. I think some places are using different names for the same set. Maybe they put Cup in front or behind Tournament, etc.

One thing I read on a 2017 post here was the Duramith cue ball, or set including the cue ball, played "heavy". Less action, less draw etc. The resin is harder and touts a 40 year life. I am not going to live 40 more years so that has no value to me. I am looking at the play-ability for say 5-10 years.

If I understand it right the line that includes Tournament or Tournament Cup uses "The Aramith Tournament set features the Duramith™ technology with its hi-tech engineered molecular structure enhancing drastically the longevity of the balls while minimizing significantly table cloth wear" (quote from Suluc)

The Super Pro or Pro Cup and Pro Cup TV line uses "The highest end phenolic resin available" (quote from Suluc)

If the Super Pro Series plays faster I would favor that over a "heavy" set that would last forever.

I see at least a couple of players here favor the Cyclops over either.

I am ruling out the Centennials as they appear to be the same quality as the Aramith, made by the same factory, but higher priced.

Last edited:

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have all three sets. Brunswick Centennials, Aramith super pros and Cyclop and the first two have been parked since I bought the Cyclop balls. I will buy another set when I change my cloth soon, Then I will have a practice set and a match set.

The fact that you are willing to replace sets and invest in a variety means we are somewhat alike. I don't need them to last forever. I just want them to play great.

What do you like about the Cyclop? and have you played the Tournament or Tournament Cup Aramiths with the Duramith finish?

Honestly maybe none of it matters. Maybe a Premium set of Aramith or Crowne's would play good enough I couldn't tell any difference anyway. That is what I am trying to sort out.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this as part of a post in the Mechanics section and I know there is an equipment section as well but I am looking for very general opinions. There are 124 players viewing this section and 4 on each of the others. I am not looking just for professional opinions or technical analysis, just practical advice from my fellow players.

I read reviews but they seem to be slanted towards whatever they are selling. One rated Diamond Cyclops the top and another didn't mention it at all. One rated the Aramith Crowne over the Aramith Pro. I don't know what they were considering unless it was price. The Pro and Tournament are much more expensive so I would assume the quality should be better then the Crowne but that is just an assumption.

I also don't know when I am paying for status and no longer going to be able to tell any difference.

Aramith has the Crowne $98, Premium $164, Pro $262, and Tournament Pro $340 and the new Pro Tournament Cup $387.

Diamond seems to make one level, the Cyclops $240. There are also Brusnwick, Empire, Izzy, T and R, Epco, Loto and probably a lot more.

Where should I draw the line? All suggestions appreciated.

I received a set of Cyclops Hyperion balls for Christmas and have been playing with them exclusively the last few weeks -- I really like them.

As others have mentioned, they stay cleaner longer than the Aramiths, which is of course another great set of balls. The Hyperions come with some money balls that you can use for 9ball and 10ball. There's a dragon ball too. But probably the most useful addition is that they give you two CBs with the set.

In any case the best advice is to buy as good a set as you can afford, either the Hyperion, Aramith Super Pros, or Centennials. You won't go wrong with any of them.

Lou Figueroa

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received a set of Cyclops Hyperion balls for Christmas and have been playing with them exclusively the last few weeks -- I really like them.

As others have mentioned, they stay cleaner longer than the Aramiths, which is of course another great set of balls. The Hyperions come with some money balls that you can use for 9ball and 10ball. There's a dragon ball too. But probably the most useful addition is that they give you two CBs with the set.

In any case the best advice is to buy as good a set as you can afford, either the Hyperion, Aramith Super Pros, or Centennials. You won't go wrong with any of them.

Lou Figueroa

Everyone seems to be out of the Cyclops Hyperion balls right now until end of Feb.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this as part of a post in the Mechanics section and I know there is an equipment section as well but I am looking for very general opinions. There are 124 players viewing this section and 4 on each of the others. I am not looking just for professional opinions or technical analysis, just practical advice from my fellow players.

I read reviews but they seem to be slanted towards whatever they are selling. One rated Diamond Cyclops the top and another didn't mention it at all. One rated the Aramith Crowne over the Aramith Pro. I don't know what they were considering unless it was price. The Pro and Tournament are much more expensive so I would assume the quality should be better then the Crowne but that is just an assumption.

I also don't know when I am paying for status and no longer going to be able to tell any difference.

Aramith has the Crowne $98, Premium $164, Pro $262, and Tournament Pro $340 and the new Pro Tournament Cup $387.

Diamond seems to make one level, the Cyclops $240. There are also Brusnwick, Empire, Izzy, T and R, Epco, Loto and probably a lot more.

Where should I draw the line? All suggestions appreciated.

I would personally want to play with the Aramith Tournament or Super Pro. Measle cueball should be available with either. Very noticeable difference between those and lower level balls. I think there is even a difference between the Pro and Tournament set. You really do get what you pay for, and in home use with reasonable care you can easily be playing with these balls for *decades*, so I'd find other areas to skimp.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would personally want to play with the Aramith Tournament or Super Pro. Measle cueball should be available with either. Very noticeable difference between those and lower level balls. I think there is even a difference between the Pro and Tournament set. You really do get what you pay for, and in home use with reasonable care you can easily be playing with these balls for *decades*, so I'd find other areas to skimp.

KMRUNOUT

I think the Tournament "pro" set is different colors from the tournament set. Like a TV setup. I've got the Tournament set, Centennial set and Cyclops. I have noticed the Cyclops balls have a few little chips out and have quit playing with them. Practice with the Centennial and play with the Tournament set for now.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KMRUNOUT

Well I opted for the Cyclops Hyperion balls. Now we will just have to wait and see.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
The fact that you are willing to replace sets and invest in a variety means we are somewhat alike. I don't need them to last forever. I just want them to play great.

What do you like about the Cyclop? and have you played the Tournament or Tournament Cup Aramiths with the Duramith finish?

Honestly maybe none of it matters. Maybe a Premium set of Aramith or Crowne's would play good enough I couldn't tell any difference anyway. That is what I am trying to sort out.

I like the fact that the Cyclop balls need much less cleaning and clean faster than the other sets I have. I have also weighed and measured each ball and the Cyclop balls were all the same diameter and nearly identical in weight. I used a accurate triple beam balance and a Micrometer for my testing.

I have not played with the other sets you inquired about but Glen (RKC) put my Diamond Pro together back in 2008 and he mentioned that in his opinion Aramith Crowns were the most underrated balls you could buy.

I use a set on the table I have at work and they never get cleaned and are in a area that is full of dirt and diesel exhaust and look and play great. I will also buy a set of these soon and pitch my Pros and Centennials. Don't get me wrong both these sets served me well but I have moved on.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the fact that the Cyclop balls need much less cleaning and clean faster than the other sets I have. I have also weighed and measured each ball and the Cyclop balls were all the same diameter and nearly identical in weight. I used a accurate triple beam balance and a Micrometer for my testing.

I have not played with the other sets you inquired about but Glen (RKC) put my Diamond Pro together back in 2008 and he mentioned that in his opinion Aramith Crowns were the most underrated balls you could buy.

I use a set on the table I have at work and they never get cleaned and are in a area that is full of dirt and diesel exhaust and look and play great. I will also buy a set of these soon and pitch my Pros and Centennials. Don't get me wrong both these sets served me well but I have moved on.

OK admit it you are a pool ball junkie. :wink: I just ordered the Cyclops. I am hoping for the best.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK admit it you are a pool ball junkie. :wink: I just ordered the Cyclops. I am hoping for the best.
My opinion is that it seems many people seem to be giving these Cyclop balls a chance, likely largely because they are endorsed and sold by Diamond Billiards, which many feel makes the best professional quality pool table available right now, because they currently endorse and are used in a number of pro tournaments, and the price - which puts them in line (but slightly less than) other more proven top quality balls - Aramith Pro, Aramith Tournament and Brunswick Centennials. I'd love to hear more testimonials from pro players who have used them before I'd consider purchasing a set over any of the other tried and true top quality options, but without having tried them, I can't give an opinion.