Pool in the Time of Coronavirus

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
While I applauded your big brass ones approach to life it may not be up to you.

The Feds have significant and sweeping powers when it comes to quarantines. In addition, companies have to be concerned about their employees as well as their customers. So it would not surprise me if airlines started curtailing flights to lessen the exposure to pilots and crews. Same for stores and hotels. Here in STL a few major corporations have begun to cut corporate travel for the time being.

Gail and I have a trip planned this year to Argentina. But guess what? Buenos Aires has a large Italian population where there’s been a major outbreak. So who knows. Of course there’s also the issue of a long flight with recirculated air if that were even to come off.

So like I said, it’s great you want to live large but it may not entirely be your call.

Lou Figueroa

FYI the airlines have put a travel waiver out in some areas. It's airline specific but it allows passengers to reschedule or cancel and apply the ticket to another trip. Italy is under travel waivers now.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was looking at some trips I have planned this year, some pool related, and began to wonder how many I’d be able to actually do given what appears to be the expanding spread of the Coronavirus.

I’m holding off on some and thinking refundable tickets and hotel reservations are the way to go on the rest...

Lou Figueroa
just a thought

Agreed...refundable travel plans and/ or trip insurance that doesn't have exclusion for it would probably be prudent.

Of course, the prices of those add-ons have likely been adjusted preemptively.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m thinking of going to Vegas to watch the us open 9 ball in April. I am a bit worried because people from all over the world will be there. I’m partly concerned about my own health but also being quarantined

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI the airlines have put a travel waiver out in some areas. It's airline specific but it allows passengers to reschedule or cancel and apply the ticket to another trip. Italy is under travel waivers now.

I’m guessing there will be more waivers from the airlines.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed...refundable travel plans and/ or trip insurance that doesn't have exclusion for it would probably be prudent.

Of course, the prices of those add-ons have likely been adjusted preemptively.

From what I’ve read it is virtually impossible to get general travel insurance that includes pandemics.

I know there are “any reason” policies but they’re basically going to cost you nearly as much as the trip itself.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I’ve read it is virtually impossible to get general travel insurance that includes pandemics.

I know there are “any reason” policies but they’re basically going to cost you nearly as much as the trip itself.

Lou Figueroa

I've never shopped such things but I believe you.

They aren't out to make deals in your favor, are they?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
If this gets serious, bars are going to empty.

So I was looking at some trips I have planned this year, some pool related, and began to wonder how many I’d be able to actually do given what appears to be the expanding spread of the Coronavirus.

I’m holding off on some and thinking refundable tickets and hotel reservations are the way to go on the rest...

Lou Figueroa
just a thought

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
You guys realize that corona viruses have been around for a long time? It's just this latest strain that is new. Similar to influenza, it can mutate.

Eric >stocking up on chicken soup

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patient zero in CA has just died today from community transfer of the Coronavirus.
A mid-50’s woman without any relevant travel history or any contact with known persons.
Oregon also just had their first Coronavirus patient from what appears to be community transfer.

This is serious as it is spreading world-wide and and there is no cure or vaccine that will take a year
or longer to develop. Older persons are highly susceptible to contracting this virus. Everyone needs
to see the movie, Contagion (2010). It illustrates how easily and rapidly virus contamination can spread.
The economic consequences of this virus will extend into the summer months and possibly longer. Let’s
pray the Coronavirus never exceeds the epidemic scale and never reaches or becomes pandemic.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patient zero in CA has just died today from community transfer of the Coronavirus.
A mid-50’s woman without any relevant travel history or any contact with known persons.
Oregon also just had their first Coronavirus patient from what appears to be community transfer.

This is serious as it is spreading world-wide and and there is no cure or vaccine that will take a year
or longer to develop. Older persons are highly susceptible to contracting this virus. Everyone needs
to see the movie, Contagion (2010). It illustrates how easily and rapidly virus contamination can spread.
The economic consequences of this virus will extend into the summer months and possibly longer. Let’s
pray the Coronavirus never exceeds the epidemic scale and never reaches or becomes pandemic.

I think study of the ‘Spanish flu’ epidemic at the end of WW1 (before the existence of ‘global’ air travel) might be revealing. Returning soldiers (confined in crowded troop ships) likely helped spread the virus.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Check your source.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I down a few Corona Beers before starting play, as I understand they help build immunity........LOL:shocked2:

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
just a thought

Yes the worlds probably coming to an end, like the black plague.
In the meantime more people will die in car wrecks in a month than
from this bs in a year.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Think it will be done come summer, based on prior flu cases. Hope so anyway. LATEST I heard is washing hands helps more than masks.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Governor Jay Inslee Declares a State of Emergency in Washington

I unintentionally misrepresented the identity of the 1st Coronavirus death.

The death was a man in his 50’s in Washington State. Gov. Jay Inslee has
declared a state of emergency in Washington. A health care center for senior
has 2 cases of community infections. A 70’s year old woman patient & a staff
member. 52 others are showing COVID-19 symptoms (27 patients & 25 staff
members). This is not the normal flu. The morbidity stats are frightening. The flu
virus is like 0.05% whereas the Coronavirus has been much, much more deadly.
Just look at what is happening overseas and the different morbidity rates. Pretty
much anyone that is a health official is telling us this is not your common cold.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys realize that corona viruses have been around for a long time? It's just this latest strain that is new. Similar to influenza, it can mutate.

Not a bad idea.

Lou Figueroa
matzah ball soup
for everyone!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes the worlds probably coming to an end, like the black plague.
In the meantime more people will die in car wrecks in a month than
from this bs in a year.

Well.

Thank you for that totally irrelevant statistic.

Lou Figueroa

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Damn it Eric.

We are living in the era of 'headlines only knowledge'.

Research and self edumacation are no longer on the expectation list, they have been moved to the wish list.

Did you not get the memo?

:thumbup:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Few people are equipped emotionally to survive in isolation for long periods. Luckily I have always been one of those.
My table is scheduled for recovering, but if a global pandemic delays the work, then, ‘no big deal’, as my ancient/30 yr. old Simonis 760 still plays quite well, considering.
As long as UPS can still find healthy delivery personnel, I’ll likely survive, though the supply of fresh green produce DOES concern.
I guess America might soon find out what risk/consequences their dependence on cheap Chinese products may involve?