US open podium trios???

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's mine: Chang Jung Lin, Filler, SVB. Who you guys like to be "on the box" as they say in motocross racing?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB having a down year so far, at least for him. Could this his first 5 figure year since 2010????
��������
Def Jam, Lion, Dennis/Chang/BigKo!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB having a down year so far, at least for him. Could this his first 5 figure year since 2010????
��������

20K+ for the MC. They just need to repeat on home turf

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too hard to call

Too hard to call for such major international tournaments
No one has won 2 major tournaments (minimum $30K and excluding team events like WCOP, MC) within same year or within 12 months since Ko in 2015
This year there are slightly more major tournaments but chances of anyone winning more than 1 within 12 months is like once in blue moon
US Open $50K
International 9 ball Open $40K
World 10 Ball $30K
World 9 Ball $40K
China Open $40K

So that eliminates Filler, Chang Jung Lin, Ko Pin Yi
My guess is the winner will be......

a player of Fargo 780+ :thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it's hard to pick three and have an even bet that at least one of them will be in the final four. (Is there a playoff for 3-4? At that stage the matches are single elimination.)

There are too many other strong players to get by.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes, too many good players to call this one. i wouldn't be surprised if sky finishes high, i think he is better than svb at the moment. and if i would guess a surprise winner it would be aranas

but yea, filler, alex, gorst, jl chang.. those guys are tough to fade

ShaunR

Registered
For me I can't look beyond a Jayson Shaw victory but will expect strong performances from SVB, Sky, Neils, Eklent and Kazakis

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dimeball...Doesn't the $100,000 salary he gets from Imperial count? Sheesh...the guy is still one of the best in the world on any given day! Even Efren never won EVERYTHING! Everybody wrote Tiger Woods off too. This year he's already won a major, and on Day 4 is one stroke off the lead at the Masters.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

��������

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dimeball...Doesn't the $100,000 salary he gets from Imperial count? Sheesh...the guy is still one of the best in the world on any given day! Even Efren never won EVERYTHING! Everybody wrote Tiger Woods off too. This year he's already won a major, and on Day 4 is one stroke off the lead at the Masters.

Scott Lee

What major did Tiger win this year? Unless you can tell the future and know he's already going to win the Masters?

I'd be okay with that since I'm rooting for him :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee
Tiger's last major was '08 US Open. That was when he beat Rocco on basically one leg.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think that this field is so loaded with killers that some of the true superstars won't even reach the knockout stages. Nonetheless, guys like JL Chang, Josh Filler, SVB, and Jayson Shaw are logical favorites to win the medals (two guys will tie for the bronze in this format). That said, I won't be surprised if we get a final four that excludes all four of them.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that this filed is so loaded with killers that some of the true superstars won't even reach the knockout stages. Nonetheless, guys like JL Chang, Josh Filler, SVB, and Jayson Shaw are logical favorites to win the medals (two guys will tie for the bronze in this format). That said, I won't be surprised if we get a final four that excludes all four of them.
I agree. Very possible. This field is brutal. Kinda lookin' to see how Siming does. They better not take her lightly.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I agree. Very possible. This field is brutal. Kinda lookin' to see how Siming does. They better not take her lightly.

My guess is she won't reach the knockout stage, but I'd sure be happy if I'm wrong. She has a shot to beat anyone on the planet, but this event means beating champion after champion after champion and I'm guessing she won't be up to that very tall task.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess is she won't reach the knockout stage, but I'd sure be happy if I'm wrong. She has a shot to beat anyone on the planet, but this event means beating champion after champion after champion and I'm guessing she won't be up to that very tall task.

Yes, it is tall task. More realistic is top 32 or top 48
Her Fargo rating is 786 now # 46 -probably around 40 players with higher rating than her in this event?
Assuming they have about same Fargo as now, these are players around 780+ or less who were top 16 in 2017 US Open and the equivalent 2018 International Open. 7 in 2017 drop to only 4 players in 2018. Suggesting tougher and tougher for players < 780 to 790 to get into last 16 ?

2017 US Open
Naoyuki Oi
Corey Deuel
Jeff de Luna
Billy Thorpe
Dang Jing Hu
Nick van denberg
Sky woodward

2018 International Open
Sky Woodward
Dennis Grabe
Chris Melling
Liu Cheng Chieh

us intl.jpg

usopen2019.JPG

:smile:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Her Fargo rating is 786 now # 46 -probably around 40 players with higher rating than her in this event?
Assuming they have about same Fargo as now, these are players around 780+ or less who were top 16 in 2017 US Open and the equivalent 2018 International Open. 7 in 2017 drop to only 4 players in 2018. Suggesting tougher and tougher for players < 780 to 790 to get into last 16 ?

2017 US Open
Naoyuki Oi
Corey Deuel
Jeff de Luna
Billy Thorpe
Dang Jing Hu
Nick van denberg
Sky woodward

2018 International Open
Sky Woodward
Dennis Grabe
Chris Melling
Liu Cheng Chieh

Wow! Great analysis. Thanks for that.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Her Fargo rating is 786 now # 46 -probably around 40 players with higher rating than her in this event? ...
The problem is that the larger the field, the more matches she has to win and the more chance she has to suffer an upset. 256 is a big field to wade through without slipping. She also might get a bad draw and face multiple champions. I think top 32 is a better than expected result based on Fargo rating, but I haven't done the calculation.