The Rack From Hell !!

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thorsten's got the patience of Mahatma Gandhi and the invincible determination of Thomas Edison.

Good find.

Arnaldo

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed! He looked frustrated throughout his run. His position play and shot choices were looser than typical Thorsten. Even so, he ran 82 balls and got through that crazy rack.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good find, thanks for posting. The 3 ball combo was just bad luck after the break but the bank shot was an unforced error. He was counting on the 15 being an insurance ball when he drew into the rack off the 7. If he would have followed instead of drawing he would have got the cue ball above the rack. It was interesting to see him line up the bank using the diamond.

Hohman's focus at the table reminds me of a cash match I saw Efren play vs Bobby Emmons. Once the balls were broken not once did Efren take his eyes off the table. Nothing else was happening in the world at that moment except those balls on that pool table.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Note that this was in the qualifier portion of the DCC Challenge competition, i.e., shooting for high runs without an opponent. Thorsten might have played a couple of those shots differently if he had been in a match.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for the link
i dont play alot of 14.1 so i apologize if the answer to this question is obvious to you all
but at the end of that rack
why didnt thorsten use the stripe as the key ball instead of the solid farther down table
he could have easily played to get shape on the final solid first then the stripe by the side pocket??

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
thanks for the link
i dont play alot of 14.1 so i apologize if the answer to this question is obvious to you all
but at the end of that rack
why didnt thorsten use the stripe as the key ball instead of the solid farther down table
he could have easily played to get shape on the final solid first then the stripe by the side pocket??

The solid (I think that it was the 7 ball) offered Toastie a better opportunity to get the cue ball in line with the break ball - and he had the luxury of using a rail to get there - whereas if he used that 15 in the side, he would have had to draw back out to center. He really could have gone either way with it - but I'll break it down for you.

If you look at how he positioned the cue ball on the last few shots, you will see that he pockets the 15 for an angle on the 2 ball. That angle is deliberate - as it will get his cue ball back to center table. After he pockets the 2 ball, you will see that he has positioned his cue ball in a position where he can go either way ... 15-7 ... or 7-15 ... he has multiple options - it is his choice - and he will choose the route which he feels will be easiest for him.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The solid (I think that it was the 7 ball) offered Toastie a better opportunity to get the cue ball in line with the break ball - and he had the luxury of using a rail to get there - whereas if he used that 15 in the side, he would have had to draw back out to center. He really could have gone either way with it - but I'll break it down for you.

If you look at how he positioned the cue ball on the last few shots, you will see that he pockets the 15 for an angle on the 2 ball. That angle is deliberate - as it will get his cue ball back to center table. After he pockets the 2 ball, you will see that he has positioned his cue ball in a position where he can go either way ... 15-7 ... or 7-15 ... he has multiple options - it is his choice - and he will choose the route which he feels will be easiest for him.
thanks for the analysis......:thumbup:
i understand he chose what felt more comfortable to him
just seemed to me it was easier to be on the "right" side of the beak shot (to use follow) with the stripe in the side pocket rather than coming some what "across the the line " with the 7 ball
also he would have been closer to the break ball
i know i am nobody to second guess thorsten

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... After he pockets the 2 ball, you will see that he has positioned his cue ball in a position where he can go either way ... 15-7 ... or 7-15 ... he has multiple options - it is his choice - and he will choose the route which he feels will be easiest for him.
A small note on the final two shots: I think he went too far from the 15 to the 7. He seems to look away in disgust after he hits the 15. If he had left the cue ball by the head cushion it would have been an easy half-ball roller off the 7 to get to the middle of the table. Instead he had to play the two-cushion spin shot, which he hit very well.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know i am nobody to second guess thorsten

As great as the best are, they all make mistakes. Nothing wrong with second guessing. If you listen to commentators who happen to be among the best players themselves, much of the time they don't understand or agree with what the player at the table is choosing.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As great as the best are, they all make mistakes. Nothing wrong with second guessing. If you listen to commentators who happen to be among the best players themselves, much of the time they don't understand or agree with what the player at the table is choosing.
thanks for the support...:thumbup: