JAM's book on Keith

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I thought I read recently that the book was done but financing to get it published was the problem from moving forward. Who doesn't want this book to reach the masses. I guess the masses being defined by all us pool lovers and fans of the greats. There are many ways to put the finances together, although I don't claim to know a lot about this. I do know Freddy published his Encyclopedia on a shoe string. I for one will gladly pre-fund/order this book to help out. Any ideas to help this project reach reality. If all interested members of AZB got together I would think this could be pushed over the goal line and be a huge success. What say you all? :thumbup:

Reactions: JAM

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I thought I read recently that the book was done but financing to get it published was the problem from moving forward. Who doesn't want this book to reach the masses. I guess the masses being defined by all us pool lovers and fans of the greats. There are many ways to put the finances together, although I don't claim to know a lot about this. I do know Freddy published his Encyclopedia on a shoe string. I for one will gladly pre-fund/order this book to help out. Any ideas to help this project reach reality. If all interested members of AZB got together I would think this could be pushed over the goal line and be a huge success. What say you all? :thumbup:
I can't imagine why a publisher wouldn't want this. Arguably pool's most colorful, entertaining character, presented by the person who knows and loves him best, a fellow pool denizen and writer. What's not to like?

pj
chgo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't imagine why a publisher wouldn't want this. Arguably pool's most colorful, entertaining character, presented by the person who knows and loves him best, a fellow pool denizen and writer. What's not to like?

pj
chgo

The wait!

I think they know the AZB corp would be sure they had funding, if it was necessary. Gotta be something else.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
people always think there is a market for a book about someone they know of that is a bit of a character.
you have to ask yourself is there a market to all of those people that never heard of him..

in any case you can self publish for almost nothing through places like amazon and have books ordered as you go. sell a few hundred copies to the pool players and keep his memory alive.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I'd be more than happy to pre-order. I enjoy JAM's posts and I've always loved Keith's go go go

Last edited:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
The wait!

I think they know the AZB corp would be sure they had funding, if it was necessary. Gotta be something else.

No doubt. If this is the only hold back, we could start a Go Fund Me campaign in a heartbeat.

Eric

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
The wait!

Jam loves Keith and would never publish the book until it was safe to publish. It is a hustlers tell all type book from what she described and Keith is not ready to hang up his cue and may venture back to the pool world. So, the book is on hold and sitting on her shelf. Done!

Again, all second hand info. But, pretty reliable. Keith has a ton of stories and is a very colorful guy. It will be an awesome read one day. It just will not be released until it is safe to do so and not hem anybody up mentioned in the book or Keith.

KD

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I read recently that the book was done but financing to get it published was the problem from moving forward. Who doesn't want this book to reach the masses[?] ...:

True, true, Nine.
I read through some of the postings on here and aside from the "I'm in" comments,
there a few that hit the mark. Specifically, there are comments to the effect that although,
JAM has the book "ready to go" the inability to get it published right away, might be a good thing.
Heck, putting out a book on someone else takes careful consideration in light of the fact that the
man might want to make sure certain elements are not necessarily divulged while the man is still alive.

In any case, good job JAM!
Although the masses won't necessarily know Keith, at least it's another (research) book on pool that will be on the shelf.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
True, true, Nine.
I read through some of the postings on here and aside from the "I'm in" comments,
there a few that hit the mark. Specifically, there are comments to the effect that although,
JAM has the book "ready to go" the inability to get it published right away, might be a good thing.
Heck, putting out a book on someone else takes careful consideration in light of the fact that the
man might want to make sure certain elements are not necessarily divulged while the man is still alive.

In any case, good job JAM!
Although the masses won't necessarily know Keith, at least it's another (research) book on pool that will be on the shelf.

So it seems that the answer to my question of "Who doesn't want this book to reach the masses" is Keith himself!

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
better to publish the book while everyone still remembers Keith, than wait 10 more years, correct ?

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it seems that the answer to my question of "Who doesn't want this book to reach the masses" is Keith himself!

You're reading into my posting too much, Nine.
It's obvious that JAM already has collaborated with Keith to get some of the stories for the book.
I'm also sure that Keith knows that the book is intended for public dissemination.

All I'm saying is the fact that JAM doesn't have the funds right now to publish is simply a blessing in disguise:

Has Keith read (and perhaps provided important feedback on) the final version?
Has JAM done research on the best way to market the book?
Has JAM vetted the best publishers?
Has she taken into considerations the best publishing format?
Has she prepared or have knowledge of the proper documents (contracts) so that she (and Keith?) or anyone else involved get the most compensation as possible? (no free lunches here)

JAM may want to chat with Max Eberle.
I believe he is published in the similar field.

As you probably know, it's not about just writing and then publishing.
My posting goes beyond whether Keith "wants this book to reach the masses."

Last edited:

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
You're reading into my posting too much, Nine.
It's obvious that JAM already has collaborated with Keith to get some of the stories for the book.
I'm also sure that Keith knows that the book is intended for public dissemination.

All I'm saying is the fact that JAM doesn't have the funds right now to publish is simply a blessing in disguise:

Has Keith read (and perhaps provided important feedback on) the final version?
Has JAM done research on the best way to market the book?
Has JAM vetted the best publishers?
Has she taken into considerations the best publishing format?
Has she prepared or have knowledge of the proper documents (contracts) so that she (and Keith?) or anyone else involved get the most compensation as possible? (no free lunches here)

JAM may want to chat with Max Eberle.
I believe he is published in the similar field.

As you probably know, it's not about just writing and then publishing.
My posting goes beyond whether Keith "wants this book to reach the masses."

All good points. Another question may be why JAM shared what she has on this project ... to tease us? Intentionally, to see the reaction and build up demand? By accident and is now thinking ... oops? ;)

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting releases/permissions from living persons -- or the estates of deceased persons -- named in biographies (as well as still-extant businesses referenced in the bio) is often one of the very largest obstacles to be overcome. Any author would be foolhardy to not obtain all such agreements beforehand and seek legal counsel/assistance in this absolutely essential process.

Not doing so, is virtually certain to result in all manner of post-publication eventual lawsuits and claims against both the author and any publisher. Eventual film rights would also be off the table as well, in the absence of all such clearances always demanded by producers'/studios'/distributors' insurance companies.

Proceeding without legal counsel and legally acceptable signed agreements in these matters guarantees what Grady Seasons might appropriately term a real life pool-world "nightmare".

Arnaldo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Erika Leonard, aka as EL James was rejected by two London literary agents, and was summarily rejected by all the major publishers. She went self-published print on demand route. Only after the book was selling well, did the publishers came again.

Here are some self publish, and print on demand presses.
https://www.lulu.com/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-summary-page.html?topic=200260520

Good advice...this book has to take off in the pool world.
...in another thread, I said I would commit to five copies.

One of my favorite American authors, James Lee Burke, took ten years to get a publisher.
....then his book sales soared.

JAM's book has a chance of going mainstream because of Keith's role in The Color of Money.
....I'm thinking movie rights here...don't sell cheap, JAM.

The Web has changed a lot of things...with some luck, it could go viral.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Getting releases/permissions from living persons -- or the estates of deceased persons -- named in biographies (as well as still-extant businesses referenced in the bio) is often one of the very largest obstacles to be overcome. Any author would be foolhardy to not obtain all such agreements beforehand and seek legal counsel/assistance in this absolutely essential process.

Not doing so, is virtually certain to result in all manner of post-publication eventual lawsuits and claims against both the author and any publisher. Eventual film rights would also be off the table as well, in the absence of all such clearances always demanded by producers'/studios'/distributors' insurance companies.

Proceeding without legal counsel and legally acceptable signed agreements in these matters guarantees what Grady Seasons might appropriately term a real life pool-world "nightmare".

Arnaldo

Harry Platis is one of Keith's best friends and students!

He is one of the top lawyers in America. I am certain JAM and Keith have the best legal counsel available to them. additionally, those that know what JAM does for a living also know she has friends ALL over the legal field to help her with anything she may ever need.

KD