Joe Villalpando Kicking and Cue Ball Control

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I imagine many of you have read the various posts the last few months on the dvds put out by Joe Villalpando. I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the mix.

I got the dvds 3 or 4 weeks ago and they are very well made. During the demonstration of the various shots, there is usually a cue ball superimposed over the vid that shows exactly where you should strike the ball. There is also a track line superimposed over the video showing the track of the ball.

After I had watched the videos, I had a question and emailed Joe and was surprised to receive a call from him. We spoke about 20 minutes and he cleared up some of my confusion and sent me back to the vids.

Later, I was able to hook him up with Jim Parker at the Illinois Billiards Club, who brought him in as a speaker at our League awards banquet last Thursday. Joe set up a table and used one of our members to demonstrate kicks from dvd 1 and cue ball control from dvd2. With minimal direction from Joe, the member was nailing the shots in short order. Joe put together a very nice teaching demonstration. Members were seated and standing around the table, peppering him with questions, which he patiently answered until everyone understood his system.

I would highly recommend Joe Villalpando as a teacher, and can't wait for the release of his next dvd.

By the way, he can be contacted at http://www.pooliq.net/index.htm.

Last edited:

emf123

Up the Irons!!!
Silver Member
I've pretty much given up on kicking systems but your review is enough of a ringing endorsement to make me re-think my position. It's definitely a weakness in my game and needs improvement.

Thanks

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
emf123 said:
I've pretty much given up on kicking systems but your review is enough of a ringing endorsement to make me re-think my position. It's definitely a weakness in my game and needs improvement.

Thanks

Wow!!! Never use the "give up" words...

Kicking systems are ultra powerful tools to have in the bag...and as you move to the higher levels of pool become almost a necessity to win a match.... One deftly executed kick can be the difference between winning or losing a match...(IMO)

Just keep this one thing in mind though when it comes to kicks or banks...(I would imagine this would be echoed by pretty much any top banker / kicker...)

Since all tables bank different (have different track lines / bank short, long etc.) The "system" is only a tool to help you get the proper feel for the kick or bank....your experience is the necessity to make the tool operate correctly ....

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
I imagine many of you have read the various posts the last few months on the dvds put out by Joe Villalpando. I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the mix.

I got the dvds 3 or 4 weeks ago and they are very well made. During the demonstration of the various shots, there is usually a cue ball superimposed over the vid that shows exactly where you should strike the ball. There is also a track line superimposed over the video showing the track of the ball.

After I had watched the videos, I had a question and emailed Joe and was surprised to receive a call from him. We spoke about 20 minutes and he cleared up some of my confusion and sent me back to the vids.

Later, I was able to hook him up with Jim Parker at the Illinois Billiards Club, who brought him in as a speaker at our League awards banquet last Thursday. Joe set up a table and used one of our members to demonstrate kicks from dvd 1 and cue ball control from dvd2. With minimal direction from Joe, the member was nailing the shots in short order. Joe put together a very nice teaching demonstration. Members were seated and standing around the table, peppering him with questions, which he patiently answered until everyone understood his system.

I would highly recommend Joe Villalpando as a teacher, and can't wait for the release of his next dvd.

I too own both of Lil Joe's videos and highly recomend them. Wanted to ask you, dmgwalsh, do you have any idea where, Jim Parker's, son Mike is these days? Mike had serious potential back in the early 80s when he and Mark Jarvis were running together.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
emf123 said:

Thanks

The systems will get you on track to kicking well. Once you have a few of them down cold, say three rail kicks, you'll learn how to compensate for tables that play short or long. And there a plenty of tables that are off, so memory of how a particular table plays can be the difference between winning and losing. Take the time and make the effort to learn at least a good 3 rail system. You'll be glad you did.

Flex

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
pARKER

hemicudas said:
Wanted to ask you, dmgwalsh, do you have any idea where, Jim Parker's, son Mike is these days? Mike had serious potential back in the early 80s when he and Mark Jarvis were running together.

I've seen him around but have never seen him play. He was at Red Shoes talking to Mike Corbett about a month ago. Saw him at Pockets about a year ago and at his dad's place a few years ago.

I hear he was awful good as a youngster. Started out playing 3 cushion.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Dennis,

I also enjoyed the videos very much. I have worked with 2 full time instructors over the past 4 years from which I did gain some pool knowledge from.

I purchase both of Joe's videos and have had numerous phone conversations with him over the past couple of months. Through his help, my game has risen to a new level that I can only credit to Joe. I look forward to meeting up with him for a one on one session in the very near future.

To anyone contemplating purchasing his DVD's. You'll not be sorry!!

iasaxman

Wanna get played?
Silver Member
I've also had the priviledge of learning from Joe. I knew of him from around the Quad. Cities, but didn't really interact much with him until I purchased his first DVD on kicks. Since then, I get to shoot with him and learn from him on a regular basis.

I don't know anyone who doesn't have respect for his ability to teach unless they just don't know him or know of him in the least. Some of the best shooters around welcome his input when they make an error in judgement or execution.

If you have an opportunity to purchase Joe's DVDs, you won't regret the buy. There is so much more to be learned from Joe, that I could imagine him developing a long series of learning videos. With only 2 available right now, he's already getting great reviews. I'm along with many people on here anxiously awaiting volume 3.

www.pooliq.net

Dave

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:

Nice work on the review Dennis. I'll have to get these dvd's. Thanks. Jim