Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page DCC 2019 Straight Pool Challenge Video
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Seth C.
AzB Silver Member
Seth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-17-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDan View Post
Much like amatuer stock market ‘plunge’ investors that buy equities on a ‘hunch’ (instead of first studying the stats) who get lucky and thus soon subconsciously delude themselves into thinking they are financial geniuses, pool players that sometimes can’t resist the thrill of ‘rolling-the-dice’ by turning the cueball loose and then end up with perfect position, can also have trouble staying in touch with reality. Aside from hiring someone to stand behind me and whack me over the head every time I intentionally run into balls without knowing EXACTLY where they will end up, I am at a loss as to how to permenantly resist the lifelong tendency (curse) to gamble that I developed as a kid when learning to play(?). It’s as if the curiosity re: where the balls will go is more important (subconsciously) to me than winning.
For me it is more a matter of curiosity about whether what appears to be a dead ball is really dead, or whether I can make a ball when I have half a pocket, or whether I can throw some combination shot, etc., etc., etc. Same basic problem: curiosity about a challenge being more powerful than rational thought. It even extends to pulling the trigger even when I know I am not down on the exact right line (“Gee, what if I just pivot a little and improvise while I’m down. Let’s see if this works.”). Really brilliant. Not.

Old
  (#17)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2019, 10:42 AM

That kind of experimentation has a certain value, since how else do we learn what will work and what won’t? (I am always pleasantly surprised when those ‘nearly dead/half pocket’/etc. shots sometimes actually drop). After all, you will never extend your high-run record by playing safeties.
The trick is being able to leave experimentation behind when competing, since some habits are insidious and VERY hard to suppress:
When I first moved to a rural area, I soon got out of the habit of using my turn signals when driving on deserted roads. I thought, why burn out my bulbs & wear out the switch mechanism when the nearest traffic/police were miles away? Eventually though, it occurred that I was forgetting to signal even when I WAS in traffic, and it would only be a matter of time until I pulled out of my lane without signaling and got smacked by a semi!

Old
  (#18)
Samiel
Sea Player
Samiel has a reputation beyond reputeSamiel has a reputation beyond reputeSamiel has a reputation beyond reputeSamiel has a reputation beyond reputeSamiel has a reputation beyond reputeSamiel has a reputation beyond reputeSamiel has a reputation beyond reputeSamiel has a reputation beyond reputeSamiel has a reputation beyond reputeSamiel has a reputation beyond reputeSamiel has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

02-21-2019, 11:34 AM

Deleted... wrong thread...

Name - Viet My
Playing Cue - 2000 Series PS03 - Jerry Pechauer
High Run - 59

Last edited by Samiel; 02-21-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Joshua Filler 285 ball run video
Old
  (#19)
dmgwalsh
Straight Pool Fanatic
dmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

Joshua Filler 285 ball run video - 02-24-2019, 12:05 PM

https://youtu.be/JZo5doH0F2o

Old
  (#20)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgwalsh View Post
Thanks - big run.

Dennis Orcollo 260
Old
  (#21)
dmgwalsh
Straight Pool Fanatic
dmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond repute

Dennis Orcollo 260 - 02-24-2019, 03:11 PM

https://youtu.be/ZxjrQ2CiK5E

Old
  (#22)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Fantastic video, Dennis.

I couldn't help but notice that at 7:20 in the third rack you gave him a great spot when repositioning the 3 balls after he hit them with the bridge. He had no break ball before the accident but you created break balls with the 5 and 14 after the spot (well, the 14 could have been used but you improved its position). Don't take that as me being critical. You did the best you could given the situation. He did end up keeping the 5 ball for his break shot.

https://youtu.be/ZxjrQ2CiK5E?t=435

Dan White

Old
  (#23)
dmgwalsh
Straight Pool Fanatic

02-26-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Fantastic video, Dennis.

I couldn't help but notice that at 7:20 in the third rack you gave him a great spot when repositioning the 3 balls after he hit them with the bridge. He had no break ball before the accident but you created break balls with the 5 and 14 after the spot (well, the 14 could have been used but you improved its position). Don't take that as me being critical. You did the best you could given the situation. He did end up keeping the 5 ball for his break shot.

https://youtu.be/ZxjrQ2CiK5E?t=435
I didn't even notice exactly where the balls were before they were disturbed. I was a bit flummoxed by the faulty bridge that fell apart wreaking havoc on the table. I took his word for the ball placement. It was only a few racks in and didn't seem that important at the time. I still don't think it was that important.

Old
  (#24)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I didn't even notice exactly where the balls were before they were disturbed. I was a bit flummoxed by the faulty bridge that fell apart wreaking havoc on the table. I took his word for the ball placement. It was only a few racks in and didn't seem that important at the time. I still don't think it was that important.
I agree totally. Let's just be glad he didn't run 527!

Dan White

Old
  (#25)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

03-13-2019, 06:39 PM

https://youtu.be/9ikzJNdBCpc?t=4267 1:11:11

You see players develop a break ball but Lee Vann Corteza develops a key ball here. Clever shot.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: