router dust box

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Recently, yes they have. Joey posted pics as a couple of others did.

I was just thinking yesterday that I need to build one soon.

A quick trip to the plastic shop will get a box full of scrap pieces.

Deco cues might have a pic or two on his site for the one he built.

Dave 38 built one too if I remember.

Should also bring up some of the guys who have built down draft boxes.

A Search for it might bring up a few pics.

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cover entire lathe

i made a cover out of 1 by 12's, with a 1/4 inch plexaglass top. the cover is attached to the wall behind my lathe by hinges. when not in use i just swing it up and secure it with a hook. after i get my lathe set up to taper a butt, i just unhook it and let it cover the entire lathe. the round pieces at the front are just pieces of wood connected to the cover by a screw at the top. holes are cut behind each, so if i need to make adjustments, i just push the round piece aside and stick my hand into the opening, remove my hand and the round piece swings back closeing the opening. i like the plexiglass top as i can get my face very close without getting pieces of wood and duse in my eyes. after tapering, just lift, hook and vacuum.

Attachments

• P3223134.JPG
    P3223134.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 875
  • P3223139.JPG
    P3223139.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 868
  • P3223141.JPG
    P3223141.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 851

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
Here's mine

I have a Mid-Size that I've modified to add taper bars and a floating cross slide. Once I started turning butts and shafts I really needed to come up with some kind of enclosure. What I came up with was kind of quick and dirty, but it does the job.

I built this out of scrap wood I had laying around and some lexan that I got from Lowes. The lexan top swings up out of the way to get at the work. The front shield just hangs from the top cover leaving just enough opening to create a draft through to the dust collector ports in the back. It catches everything pretty well.

It's changed a little since these pictures were taken. I got one of Todd's router brackets and now cut with the router vertical. In order to provide clearance, I had to patch in some pieces to raise the top of the enclosure and added some cabinet lights inside so I could see better. Otherwise, it's the same.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't laugh

This actually works very good .I'v changed the design somwhat but all in all it really works good......Hope this Helps...............Rayrouter and handle 003.jpg

router and handle 002.jpg

router and handle 004.jpg

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Now I call that re-cycling well done. The landfields should love you for that.
I once cut up a steam guns clear plastic packaging to make a router shield.

That vacuum is kinda weak though. Plus, it releases fine dust .
Also, the hose needs to be more secure so that it doesn't add vibrations to the saddle.
I suggest a Dust Deputy separator attached to a vacuum with a fine HEPA filter with the hose securely attached overhead . Just have enough slack on the hose for the saddle to move 0" to 30" or so without much added stress or vibration.

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Done

That vacuum is kinda weak though. Plus, it releases fine dust .
Also, the hose needs to be more secure so that it doesn't add vibrations to the saddle.
I suggest a Dust Deputy separator attached to a vacuum with a fine HEPA filter with the hose securely attached overhead . Just have enough slack on the hose for the saddle to move 0" to 30" or so without much added stress or vibration.

Joey, the dust deputy rocks that what I have now and am working on a pretty slick little filter setup.The problem is I only have a few hours a day to do it all so I have to do a little at a time.....Ray Weeks

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I too really like my Dust Deputy. I continue to be amazed how little dust is in the main compartment of my Ridgid shop vac even after filling the Dust Deputy bucket half full. I use the HEPA filter in my shop vac, so the really fine stuff is collected there, IF it gets past the Deputy.

Ray, I hope you will share your filter idea or at least make them available for sale or the plan for sale when you get it worked out.

My 2 cents,

Gary

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
What do you think of this/ I might build it and use the Bloomberg bottle to collect.http://lumberjocks.com/SimonSKL/blog/10097
I too really like my Dust Deputy. I continue to be amazed how little dust is in the main compartment of my Ridgid shop vac even after filling the Dust Deputy bucket half full. I use the HEPA filter in my shop vac, so the really fine stuff is collected there, IF it gets past the Deputy.

Ray, I hope you will share your filter idea or at least make them available for sale or the plan for sale when you get it worked out.

My 2 cents,

Gary

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, if you're already set up to do the sheet metal work and are adept at it, then it might be worth the effort. But you can buy the Dust Deputy cone only for $40 and the complete unit for $95 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dust+deputy
For me, it's not worth the risk of cutting myself on that sharp sheet metal edge and the crimped seal looks like a PITA.
Plus, that joint where the horizontal duct joins into the side of the cone doesn't look to me like it will be very strong.
Otherwise, it is the same concept, assuming the author did his calculations correctly and got the cone sized right. You have to match the cone dimensions to the air flow to get the best removal.
My 2 cents,
Gary

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
Its done and works well. Just need to make the Bloomberg bottle shroud.Thanks for your input. The metal work is pretty simple and its 24" high as apposed to 14" . Dont know if that makes a difference but I'm guessing that size matters. Plus I have time and $20 is less than $95.Oops just cut my finger. Hey its a hobby isn't it? Your absolutely right but I'm impulsive I bought the deluxe didn't I? And I'm loving the Hightower lathe.

Well, if you're already set up to do the sheet metal work and are adept at it, then it might be worth the effort. But you can buy the Dust Deputy cone only for $40 and the complete unit for $95 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dust+deputy
For me, it's not worth the risk of cutting myself on that sharp sheet metal edge and the crimped seal looks like a PITA.
Plus, that joint where the horizontal duct joins into the side of the cone doesn't look to me like it will be very strong.
Otherwise, it is the same concept, assuming the author did his calculations correctly and got the cone sized right. You have to match the cone dimensions to the air flow to get the best removal.
My 2 cents,
Gary

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
My 2 cents,
Gary
http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Dust-...8&qid=1362073256&sr=8-13&keywords=dust+deputy
I have that one too.
It's not even close to being as good as the DP.
Chips get to the vacuum.
The way the DP's cyclone works is just the nuts.
You can also place a wok ( yes, a wok ) upside down inside your stand-up dust collector and reduce the fine dust getting to the filter.
But, different dust collector ( sizes and config ) for different applications are better. Big hose dust collector for sanding works better imo.
Small hose , shop vac.garage vac, Dust Deputy and 3" hose max, work better for taper machine dust/chip collecting .
$20 with some labor and uncertainty against $95 for one that is tested and guaranteed is no contest to me.
My lungs are worth $75. At least.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Dust-...8&qid=1362073256&sr=8-13&keywords=dust+deputy
I have that one too.
It's not even close to being as good as the DP.
Chips get to the vacuum.
The way the DP's cyclone works is just the nuts.
You can also place a wok ( yes, a wok ) upside down inside your stand-up dust collector and reduce the fine dust getting to the filter.
But, different dust collector ( sizes and config ) for different applications are better. Big hose dust collector for sanding works better imo.
Small hose , shop vac.garage vac, Dust Deputy and 3" hose max, work better for taper machine dust/chip collecting .
$20 with some labor and uncertainty against $95 for one that is tested and guaranteed is no contest to me.
My lungs are worth $75. At least.

Hmm, how did you find out about the wok? Trouble is, when I want to cook stir fry, I would have to take my shop vac apart! :eek:
Gary