dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish more people understood ratings based on absolute measurements, especially the ABCD rating, vs a league rating for a local player. 99% of the time players say they are a lower rank than they really are because they don't understand what they are measuring or how people should play. I saw a player that made it towards the end of a even race event and went hill hill with a known A player that said he was a "C" when the A player asked what his speed was.

Plus many league ratings are useless since so many game the system to cheat their handicap, I don't even bother asking what someone's APA rating is, I just estimate it based on how they play LOL

Average run in 9 ball is a great way to get a pretty accurate sense of skill, along with watching what shots and how the shots are played. A player running 5 balls with good speed and proper patterns is still a better player than someone that runs 5 balls mostly with luck.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Many thanks. I've always been curious over the various rating systems. You clarified much of my confusion.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve found out that no matter what rating system I use I still suck at pool.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish more people understood ratings based on absolute measurements, especially the ABCD rating, vs a league rating for a local player. 99% of the time players say they are a lower rank than they really are because they don't understand what they are measuring or how people should play. I saw a player that made it towards the end of a even race event and went hill hill with a known A player that said he was a "C" when the A player asked what his speed was.

Plus many league ratings are useless since so many game the system to cheat their handicap, I don't even bother asking what someone's APA rating is, I just estimate it based on how they play LOL

Average run in 9 ball is a great way to get a pretty accurate sense of skill, along with watching what shots and how the shots are played. A player running 5 balls with good speed and proper patterns is still a better player than someone that runs 5 balls mostly with luck.
If everybody used FargoRate (including all league systems), everybody would know everybody's actual speed. I know ... I'm asking for too much. It would also be nice if everybody (including all league systems) used the same pool rules. I know ... I'm asking for too much again. :eek:

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve found out that no matter what rating system I use I still suck at pool.
If I remember right, based on your recent RDS Challenge performance, your player level is much higher than "suck at pool." :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be nice if fargorate was used by everyone. Where I live absolutely nobody uses it.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be nice if fargorate was used by everyone. Where I live absolutely nobody uses it.

I play with about 150 players in 3 unaffiliated leagues. Nobody ever mentions or cares about player rankings.

Teams are basically ‘John is a decent player so why don't you team up with Susie and I’ll take Bob. Then if Susie doesn’t want to play after a half dozen games we make up new pairings.

This is opposed to the formal ‘’league’ play where half the players don’t seem to actually have fun. It seems more stats and an underlying grumbling. I find it puzzling that anyone voluntarily plays a game that leaves them more stressed when they go home.

The irony is that 80% of the better players are in our informal league. However we trend to the older side so perhaps we are less ambitious.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Thanks for the LOL

Your thread title reminded me of the good old days.

Whenever I was asked how good I played, I would take a careful gaze around the room, then reply, “I am the best player within a 3 foot radius.”

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree, per:

If everybody used FargoRate (including all league systems), everybody would know everybody's actual speed. I know ... I'm asking for too much. It would also be nice if everybody (including all league systems) used the same pool rules. I know ... I'm asking for too much again. :eek: