The International 9-Ball Open

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah and only 2 of them in the running for Mosconi Cup!! :confused:
SVB, SKY And Deuel if i am not mistaken that's three that are are in the running ?

It's a shame Bergman not on that list.

Mosconi Cup Team USA might look funny if Iceberg snaps off the US I Open and is not on the team.
Any American that wins US Open should get a automatic place on the team imo

Last edited:

coco9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB, SKY And Deuel if i am not mistaken that's three that are are in the running ?

It's a shame Bergman not on that list.

Mosconi Cup Team USA might look funny if Iceberg snaps off the US I Open and is not on the team.
Any American that wins US Open should get a automatic place on the team imo

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/ruijsink-narrows-team-usa-eight/

No Deuel!

Bergman is a glaring omission! I understand the reasons but it seems a compromise was reached with SVB well Bergman (IMO) is a better Mosconi player than SVB!

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Finals with Li Hewen at the Worlds. If you saw the last game when the score was notted, when Darren JUMPED a ball into the side pocket, and ran out, that moment proves my point.

Well, considering I said Daryl Peach, not Darren Appleton (who played Li Hewen in that finals), I stand by my statement. :smile::cool::smile:

Short Bus Russ

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I'm liking my chances with my bet, as Albin Ouschan needs to get through Alex Pagulayan's bracket on the loser's side...

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat Fleming

I have not read the whole thread, but I just want to give a shout out to Pat Fleming and Accu-stats for putting together a great tournament.

All lot of respect to Pat...He got a great turn out from the current pro players

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have not read the whole thread, but I just want to give a shout out to Pat Fleming and Accu-stats for putting together a great tournament.

All lot of respect to Pat...He got a great turn out from the current pro players

Right on. This event seems to be off to a very good start and, as you note, has attracted most of the biggest stars of the game.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The big guns are still making it happen. Last year's Chesapeake final four of Shaw, Kaci, Sanchez Ruiz and JL Chang are now a combined 16-0 and they are all guaranteed tied for 9th or better. SVB is right there with them at 4-0.

Shaw vs JL Chang in the winners bracket quarterfinal on Thursday is probably the biggest match of this event so far but the road to the title looks difficult indeed for everyone that's still in.

Nice to see Skyler Woodward having such a nice event. At 4-0, he's positioned to make a strong statement for a Mosconi Cup spot.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The big guns are still making it happen. Last year's Chesapeake final four of Shaw, Kaci, Sanchez Ruiz and JL Chang are now a combined 16-0 and they are all guaranteed tied for 9th or better. SVB is right there with them at 4-0.

Shaw vs JL Chang in the winners bracket quarterfinal on Thursday is probably the biggest match of this event so far but the road to the title looks difficult indeed for everyone that's still in.

Nice to see Skyler Woodward having such a nice event. At 4-0, he's positioned to make a strong statement for a Mosconi Cup spot.

It appears JL Chang has lost to Shaw their last four matchups

4-8 recently at China Open
3-8 2017 World Pool Masters
10-13 Kuwait 9-Ball finals 2016
7-9 Steinway Classic 10-25-16

But maybe what will be in their minds is THIS tournament two years ago:

Chang 11 Shaw 10 - 10-22-16

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just extremely hard to fathom that even in a field as impressively strong as this with virtually all the top players in the world, they are playing for such paltry $ sums. Many of these top ranked pro players already knocked out and soon to be knocked out as they are now playing each other in the one-loss bracket, won't even be able to pay their expenses for playing in this event.

Clearly Pat has done a tremendous job with this event, which is every bit if not more impressive as previous US Opens, but just a sad reality that the top pool players in the world are not at all rewarded for a lifetime of their pursuit of excellence in this game, in comparison to all other professional athletes and all other professions in general

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just extremely hard to fathom that even in a field as impressively strong as this with virtually all the top players in the world, they are playing for such paltry $ sums. Many of these top ranked pro players already knocked out and soon to be knocked out as they are now playing each other in the one-loss bracket, won't even be able to pay their expenses for playing in this event.

Clearly Pat has done a tremendous job with this event, which is every bit if not more impressive as previous US Opens, but just a sad reality that the top pool players in the world are not at all rewarded for a lifetime of their pursuit of excellence in this game, in comparison to all other professional athletes and all other professions in general

Chris, there's exactly one good prize to be won - FIRST Place! And that's the sad reality of pro pool today at the highest level. Like you said, we have maybe fifty of the best pool players in the world here and only one of them will make a decent score (notice I didn't say a big score, just decent).

What pool needs is a very wealthy benefactor to come along (like Paul Allen did with Bowling) and give the game a big kick in the ass. Probably won't be happening any time soon. At least Three Cushions had a Billionaire throw a 600K party for the top players a few weeks ago.

Echelon

The hill hill thrilla
Silver Member
What pool needs is a very wealthy benefactor to come along (like Paul Allen did with Bowling) and give the game a big kick in the ass. Probably won't be happening any time soon. At least Three Cushions had a Billionaire throw a 600K party for the top players a few weeks ago.

You said it! Lets hope that 1.5 billion dollar lotto winner is a big pool fan!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Well, there's theory and practice. In theory, the world's best players should make more than this, but in practice, their payouts are a function of how much the pro pool product can generate in revenue and profit.

This is a new event, which the pros have, not instead of, but in addition to the US Open (to be played in April at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Vegas), so the introduction of this event has added a lot of money to the total prize money available on American soil. So far, so good.

If this event is a great success financially, the prize fund will grow over time. Similarly, if the event fails financially, either the prize money will decline or the event will disappear completely. Pro players will have to break with tradition and, instead, support the promoters of this new event in every possible way.

For the sake of the players and promoters alike, let's hope this event is the beginning of something big!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
But maybe what will be in their minds is THIS tournament two years ago:

Chang 11 Shaw 10 - 10-22-16

Actually, that was in the US Open, which is not THIS tournament. That said, though, that double hill thriller is one of the best played matches anyone's ever seen. It was one for the ages.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, that was in the US Open, which is not THIS tournament. That said, though, that double hill thriller is one of the best played matches anyone's ever seen. It was one for the ages.

Yeah, I know....something about a distinction without a difference... I actually view this one as the one that is continuing and Mandalay Bay as really being the new one. But no matter we agree that one became two and that is a good thing we should not screw up....