Has your local pool hall (here in the US) opened back up yet?

HUH???? There is NO way to run a safe poolroom until there is a vaccine. Poolrooms historically have not been the the most hygenic places to start with. How are they going to sterilize cues, balls ,cloth etc? Even if allowed what room owner is going to re-open if only 10 people can come in?? Cheaper to stay closed than to fade electric bills etc. when only a handful can be in it. Face it, they are not essential businesses and will be pretty far down the list of places that re-open. If they re-open.

Okay, I feel like an idiot again.

I did not even think about the fact that everything that people touch, the virus can live on for a very long time before it dies or gets cleaned off.

I feel so silly now.

You made a great point.

Now I completely understand why restaurants can't allow anyone to sit down, and why parks are closed, and why everything else that is non essential is closed.

Strangely, they allow the pawn shops to remain open though.

Those places are filled with very dirty people, and very dirty things for sale, and the employees are not even wearing masks.

Pool room is a breeding crowd for the virus. You touch balls, you touch the damn table while bent over. Basically breathing in whatever germs and elements on the table. It's a disaster.

You want to limit exposure and everything you touch and pool hall is not good.

Good point. Thanks for letting me know. I am so clueless about so many things.

HUH???? There is NO way to run a safe poolroom until there is a vaccine. Poolrooms historically have not been the the most hygenic places to start with. How are they going to sterilize cues, balls ,cloth etc? Even if allowed what room owner is going to re-open if only 10 people can come in?? Cheaper to stay closed than to fade electric bills etc. when only a handful can be in it. Face it, they are not essential businesses and will be pretty far down the list of places that re-open. If they re-open.

Okay, so we are looking at maybe a year or more before a vaccine comes out, when considering the time it takes for clinical trials and approval by the FDA, so who knows when people will feel safe to go play pool at their local pool hall again.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, so we are looking at maybe a year or more before a vaccine comes out, when considering the time it takes for clinical trials and approval by the FDA, so who knows when people will feel safe to go play pool at their local pool hall again.
Exactly. That's a likely scenario. I do think a vaccine will be ready before then. Never have so many labs and techs. worked on a vaccine at the same time.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...,

Pool halls have always been pretty dead in the day time anyways, with far less then 10 people in them.

Why not allow the pool halls to reopen, but put a 10 person cap on how many people can enter?

The Grocery stores allow huge numbers of people to enter their store, and I can't walk down any isles without running into someone, or having to pass them.

Social distancing is really hard.

Anyways, it is a bummer that there is not some way that pool halls can't be open. It is not like this virus is airborne. Social distancing measures should be good enough.

I could buy a pool table, but the cost of having it delivered and set up is the really expensive part.

The reason is that if one or two of those people are effected they will spread it when they leave the pool hall. You also cant control or know where those 10 people have been, so they take their infection to the grocery store where the rest of the non-playing Pool world are. Get a table and wait it out.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
the roll out is the catch

Exactly. That's a likely scenario. I do think a vaccine will be ready before then. Never have so many labs and techs. worked on a vaccine at the same time.

If a vaccine is found tomorrow it will take close to twelve months to roll it out in large volume. First lab testing, then small group study, larger group study, probably limited roll out, and finally available to all. Vaccines that did more harm than good will never be forgotten as will some medicines in the same category. The US is one of the slowest countries to approve something so a drug or vaccine invented or discovered here may reach most of the rest of the world before us! I suspect a covid 19 vaccine will be fast tracked but that still probably means ten months or more before it is widely available and a good chance it will run the predicted year to eighteen months.

Just looking at the regular flu vaccine, they make one that is prevention against certain strains of the flu. If they miss-guess, there just isn't a flu vaccine for that year, not an effective one anyway. There isn't enough time to create another vaccine and get it approved until after flu season is long over.

We are very much in NIM mode, no immediate miracles.

About Buffalo, he is the finest pool hall owner I have seen in many a year. Very hard working, he looks after his people, he looks after his customers. He was having a big tournament. I didn't play but when it was getting down to a few players I drifted in. Buffalo ordered two hundred bucks worth of Pizza from his competitor. When it got there I kept my distance, figured it was for the competitors. Buff came over to me and told me to help myself to all I wanted. Typical Buff and that is why he will survive the down time if anybody can. I regret he is about two hours or so from me now. I get to New Orleans about twice a year in normal times and a stop at Buff's is part of the "must do" list for the trip. Some times I hit balls for hours, sometimes I BS and hit very few balls.

I am given whatever rate works for me or a discount to whatever they figure is fair if I got a table but basically didn't use it. They have their way of cyphering table time, I have my way of cyphering tips. I remember tipping four times table time one trip. It all works out!

Hu

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

FOR THE RECORD. FOR THE RECORD. FOR THE RECORD.

Taiwan is 80 miles from China.

Taiwan had people traveling back and forth between Taiwan and China up until just a short time after the virus became known. Taiwan then closed most, if not all, air travel to most places (you can look for more details if you want).

I'm not going to go find my statistics but you can see them if you look for some of my posts in NPR.

Taiwan has something like 25,000,000.

It is 1/4 the size of Florida, but has about 5 million more people than Florida.

Taiwan isn't on total lock down and there are some pool halls open with maybe restricting the number of people allowed inside at one time.

Taiwan, as of today, only has 395 cases and 6 deaths.

Florida has 24,119 cases and 686 deaths.

I guess they wash their hands and wear their masks while playing pool.

Moral of the story:

Play pool in Taiwan and you'll be safer and probably get more action. Be forewarned though. If the COVID-19 doesn't get you, the Ko brothers will.

Last edited:

Taiwan had people traveling back and forth between Taiwan and China up until just a short time after the virus became known. Taiwan then closed most, if not all, air travel to most places (you can look for more details if you want).

I'm not going to go find my statistics but you can see them if you look for some of my posts in NPR.

It is 1/4 the size of Florida, but has about 5 million more people than Florida.

Taiwan isn't on total lock down and there are some pool halls open with maybe restricting the number of people allowed inside at one time.

Moral of the story:

Play pool in Taiwan and you'll be safer and probably get more action. Be forewarned though. If the COVID-19 doesn't get you, the Ko brothers will.

Wow, that is amazing. 25 million people, only 80 miles away from mainland China, in a space that is 1/4 the size of Florida, and only 6 deaths due to COVID-19?

Sounds like they must have been extremely smart about the way they handled the situation.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Moral of the story:

Tiawan is what we use to call Formosa, or White China V/s Red China that takes advantage of the USA. Taiwan got it right, they found out about this Virus, and took measure to deal with it.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taiwan started early with testing, tracing, quarantining, and social measures. Lessons learned from a different virus outbreak. Also they listened to medical experts.

Good hygiene helps, however how many people really wash their hands after using the toilet. Even if the rooms are sanitized you will have people go to play even if feeling unwell with little or no concern for others. I've been to several Asian countries and their culture is different, most tend to lean towards caution when feeling sick taking measures to protect others.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiawan is what we use to call Formosa, or White China V/s Red China that takes advantage of the USA. Taiwan got it right, they found out about this Virus, and took measure to deal with it.

In 1542, the Portuguese came to Taiwan and then referred to it as "Ilha Formosa", which means "beautiful island".

In Chinese, the name Taiwan is composed of two characters; the first meaning, "stage" or "terrace," and the second, "bay" or "gulf." (terraced bay)

I lived in Taiwan and have been going there since 1973. I have relatives there and I communicate with Taiwan almost daily. I was there for two weeks last April.

Qing dynasty scholars referred to Taiwan as a "mud ball in the sea," as the emperor Kangxi labeled Taiwan.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I understand it, here in AZ the last things they're going to allow to reopen are things like bars and pool halls, unfortunately. But the general public has gone almost full dipstick on this virus scare now, and it'll just about take a declaration that they've got some kind of 100% effective vaccine before most of them feel safe.

It's really too bad, because I know at least three or four pool halls/bars i used to frequent are going to be casualties because of the general overreaction.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1542, the Portuguese came to Taiwan and then referred to it as "Ilha Formosa", which means "beautiful island".

In Chinese, the name Taiwan is composed of two characters; the first meaning, "stage" or "terrace," and the second, "bay" or "gulf." (terraced bay)

I lived in Taiwan and have been going there since 1973. I have relatives there and I communicate with Taiwan almost daily. I was there for two weeks last April.

Qing dynasty scholars referred to Taiwan as a "mud ball in the sea," as the emperor Kangxi labeled Taiwan.

Since you mentioned Taiwan, any Taiwanese production cue recommendations?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HUH???? There is NO way to run a safe poolroom until there is a vaccine.

A vaccine doesn’t really affect much in the grand scheme.

We’ve had Flu vaccines for many many years now. Each year, only about half the adults in the US even get a vaccine. For those that do, the vaccine generally proves effective roughly 50% of the time. That means that a vaccine is only helpful for 25% of the entire adult population. That’s for a virus that we understand pretty damn well.

Those businesses that choose to wait for a vaccine to somehow “make it safe” before they open for business again are doomed. I hope my local pool room is smarter than that...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you mentioned Taiwan, any Taiwanese production cue recommendations?

Talk to Timothy Soong on here. He's a member and will give you a great deal.

He can get you anything you want. He has some good deals on Jovi cues.

He sells pool stuff there and is from there and can get you the best deals of anybody I know on here.

Here is one he posted not too long ago.

I'm not saying you should buy any particular brand of Taiwanese cue, but he can tell you about or get you any brand that is made there.

This is a nice Southwest replica. They have or will make these in pretty much whatever price range you want, but you aren't going to be able to steal something from them.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=507737

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome South clone HawaiianEye. Slight radiusing on the bumper edges would make it perfect. 500 is a little steep though. I'm looking to get maybe half a dozen different cues.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Modern days have never seen a virus this easy to spread. Spray your table with Lysol and good luck.

A vaccine doesn’t really affect much in the grand scheme.

We’ve had Flu vaccines for many many years now. Each year, only about half the adults in the US even get a vaccine. For those that do, the vaccine generally proves effective roughly 50% of the time. That means that a vaccine is only helpful for 25% of the entire adult population. That’s for a virus that we understand pretty damn well.

Those businesses that choose to wait for a vaccine to somehow “make it safe” before they open for business again are doomed. I hope my local pool room is smarter than that...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome South clone HawaiianEye. Slight radiusing on the bumper edges would make it perfect. 500 is a little steep though. I'm looking to get maybe half a dozen different cues.

I'm sure Timothy Soong can find any cue you want in Taiwan and for pretty much any price range. Contact him and tell him what you are looking for and what price range you are looking at. I'm sure he can provide you some options. He is from there, lives, there and has a pool business.

He sells high-dollar cues that aren't from Taiwan, too.

He has a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ts.billiards/

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure Timothy Soong can find any cue you want in Taiwan and for pretty much any price range. Contact him and tell him what you are looking for and what price range you are looking at. I'm sure he can provide you some options. He is from there, lives, there and has a pool business.

He sells high-dollar cues that aren't from Taiwan, too.

He has a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ts.billiards/

Thanks I'll see what he's got.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
No pool around here still. Ive been watching so many Efren, Earl, Trex, Shane, Busty, and Siegel matches for days on end that my game is gonna be a hot mess when they do open again.