Affordable lathe to put on new cue tips.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There’s an old saying in woodworking- buy your last table saw first. I went through 3 portable table saws before I bought one that will handle all situations and will last a lifetime. That applies to pool cue lathes. You could get by with a lathe that just does tips; but if you need to replace a ferrule or work on a tenon, you’ll need a better set up. Like you, I started out just wanting to replace my tips. Chris Hightower sold me on a Mid Size lathe. Six years and no problems with it. I just replaced the tenon, ferrule and tip on a friends break cue. You’ll be happier with a lathe that can repair cues too.

Bought the Hightower Micro 11 last Aug. The portable with the extension. Stared using it for canes. Having a blast with it. A mid size by Hightower or MidAmericaPool is all quality. Have done tips, cleanings, JP's, some pens, It's more capable than I am.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Overkill

I am basically ignorant as to machining, but I have enough native intelligence to understand why a machine capable of 1/1000 tolerances, or better, is absolutely necessary for most applications. But we are not talking rocket ships -- it's a cue tip. How many times do you have to stop and "mic" a tip while trimming and shaping it? Has anyone ever measured a cue tip during installation?

There should be a very simple machine that spins a shaft in a stable manner so as to allow trimming and shaping of a raw tip. Once you throw out the need for incredible tolerances/processes, cheaper materials and manufacturing methods can be employed to build such a machine. My instinct tells me that such a macine could sell for under $150.00 and a @$*#load (+10,000.46) of them would be sold if available.

What am I missing?

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
I am basically ignorant as to machining, but I have enough native intelligence to understand why a machine capable of 1/1000 tolerances, or better, is absolutely necessary for most applications. But we are not talking rocket ships -- it's a cue tip. How many times do you have to stop and "mic" a tip while trimming and shaping it? Has anyone ever measured a cue tip during installation?

There should be a very simple machine that spins a shaft in a stable manner so as to allow trimming and shaping of a raw tip. Once you throw out the need for incredible tolerances/processes, cheaper materials and manufacturing methods can be employed to build such a machine. My instinct tells me that such a macine could sell for under $150.00 and a @$*#load (+10,000.46) of them would be sold if available.

What am I missing?

You are not missing nothing. Just get your yard 50 out and step up. You will be making money on the first day.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What am I missing?

https://youtu.be/5m92gbCVyb0

also check my previous post in this thread for drawings of another type

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Try trimming a pool cue tip when the runout is excessive. When you dial in your lathe to run dead nuts true, trimming a tip is a breeze. You can ruin an expensive Kamui tip when the wobble runs the blade INTO the tip. When the lathe runs true, the razor blade smoothly over the ferrule to trim the tip evenly. Good install and happy customer.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Spider: Believe this. If I was twenty years younger and had a dependable China Connection, the "Biloxi Boy Cue Tip Lathe" would on its way -- hell, I could have been just like John Barton.

Skog: This is the ticket. My problem is a source for parts. I have a motor with foot control from an old sewing machine from an estate sale. I have scoured lathe sites for "replacement" parts, and other sites for parts. From here and there, I have found drill chucks, arbors, pulleys, collets, pin bits, and a 5/8" bore flange bearing without bracket. I couldn't find an adjustable bracket to mount the bearing

My brain kept going into tech mode making me want to build an adjustable model, but I am over that. I grew up in a wooden boatyard and worked with wood all of my life. If nothing else, I can cut blocks to required heights and build a static model which will suffice. I am 90% of the way to solving my problem, and should be in it for under $50,

If anyone knows of a good source for lathe parts, particularly bearings, or a good source for bearings alone, please post them. Also, I'd like to find a cheap pin bit set and a cheap collet set. Since I will not be using them constantly, I don't need the very best.

Having said all of this, I am still thinking of all of the cue owners out there, without knowledge, ability, or tools, or inclination, to build their own machine, who would love to buy a complete cue tip lathe "off the shelf".

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread, and as always, as Elvis said, "thank you, thank you very much".

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Not foolish enough to put a blade to any wobbling object.

I figure if I properly install motor and drill chuck and I line up drill chuck/pin bit and center of bearing bore dead level (using laser) (with everything dogged down to a bench) and the bearing is three to four inches below bottom of ferrule it should not wobble unless excessive speed is applied. Of course, a heavy hand, alone, holding the blade while utilizing a perfectly operating machine can produce damage and injury.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Spider: Believe this. If I was twenty years younger and had a dependable China Connection, the "Biloxi Boy Cue Tip Lathe" would on its way -- hell, I could have been just like John Barton.

Skog: This is the ticket. My problem is a source for parts. I have a motor with foot control from an old sewing machine from an estate sale. I have scoured lathe sites for "replacement" parts, and other sites for parts. From here and there, I have found drill chucks, arbors, pulleys, collets, pin bits, and a 5/8" bore flange bearing without bracket. I couldn't find an adjustable bracket to mount the bearing

My brain kept going into tech mode making me want to build an adjustable model, but I am over that. I grew up in a wooden boatyard and worked with wood all of my life. If nothing else, I can cut blocks to required heights and build a static model which will suffice. I am 90% of the way to solving my problem, and should be in it for under $50,

If anyone knows of a good source for lathe parts, particularly bearings, or a good source for bearings alone, please post them. Also, I'd like to find a cheap pin bit set and a cheap collet set. Since I will not be using them constantly, I don't need the very best.

Having said all of this, I am still thinking of all of the cue owners out there, without knowledge, ability, or tools, or inclination, to build their own machine, who would love to buy a complete cue tip lathe "off the shelf".

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread, and as always, as Elvis said, "thank you, thank you very much".

I started with a pillow block, but they are quite heavy and I wanted more portability. If you are building it stationary in a workshop they come in all sizes.
I ended up getting the flange bearings separate:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y289VO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the Aluminum mount for the size of my bearings:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QR5TM92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went a different route for the collets cause they were expensive and I was doing it a bit different. I got 3/4" rubber bushings that fit in the bearings and drilled out the hole to fit the cue diameter.
You can see the bushing here:
picture.php

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

just throw me a pm. i don't know which of the two prototypes you mean, but i have some pointers for parts

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
thats a good idea he took the tail stock and put it on blocks to support the shaft

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am amazed. An outlay of $700 + to put on tips? I, like some ot you, used to put tips on with rubber bands, single edge razor blade, and sandpaper. But, after experiencing the ease and perfection of professionally installed tips, I would also like to be able to be able to DIM.

Beyond the financial issue, requiring a full blown lathe for tips is mechanical "overkill". All one needs is a device that will spin a shaft in a stable manner allowing a tip to be cut down. Why is such a device not presently available?

I have read the thread about adapting a drill and carrying case, and this approach might work, but it is too "Rube Goldberg" for my liking, It keeps occurring to me that an inexpensive machine should be available.

Some of the present demand is definitely "covid driven", but there should be a simple, economical machine on the market.

No, its not overkill. To do tips "like a pro" you do need a metal lathe. (or a cue-specific lathe, which is really just a scaled down metal lathe). If you want to keep it on the DIY, then stick to the razor blade, sandpaper, and rubber bands.

<== I did basic cue repair at tournaments for 10 years, and used the Hightower Midsize lathe. At home, I had a 1000 lbs metal lathe. You need a lathe.

$500 for a lathe is dirt cheap.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Thats perfect. I'd buy that.

Well In my time of quarantine I turned my dining room into a workshop and built a cue lathe with a sewing machine motor. Still have a few finishing touches to complete before final testing. Hope it has enough torque, we'll see. Happy with it for my first try. I made it so it disassembles for portability, has variable speed, and reversible direction. Of course I would prefer one of those mini lathes, this was cheaper and kept me busy.

View attachment 553689