Shane Van Boening Break Video Technique Analysis

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's interesting how much vertical movement there is. He sets up with the cue tip low, but as soon as he pulls back he drops his grip hand which raises the cue tip. Then he raises his arm and body up which lowers the cue tip again, and then when he strokes through he hits the center (or slightly above center) on the cue ball. Just watch the cue tip during the process - it's going up and down and then up again.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's interesting how much vertical movement there is. He sets up with the cue tip low, but as soon as he pulls back he drops his grip hand which raises the cue tip. Then he raises his arm and body up which lowers the cue tip again, and then when he strokes through he hits the center (or slightly above center) on the cue ball. Just watch the cue tip during the process - it's going up and down and then up again.
I think what is most important is what the cue does coming into the ball. It comes in very straight and level. All of the up/down motion before the final part of the forward stroke into the ball isn't really necessary or helpful, IMO.

Regards,
Dave

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always appreciate your post's Dr. Dave. You and Bob have helped me out quite a bit and for this I thank you.

Best rolls,

-Kat,

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I think what is most important is what the cue does coming into the ball. It comes in very straight and level. All of the up/down motion before the final part of the forward stroke into the ball isn't really necessary or helpful, IMO.

Regards,
Dave

Other than maybe confusing opponents when he does this at full speed? Many thanks for this. I've watched him break on streams, trying to study what he does, and always ended up scratching my head.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent video.

I couldn't do this whole standing up thing with the cue pointing directly down into
the table and then straighten it and come up with a good break to save my life.

Last edited:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Thanks for doing this. Shane's break is a marvel of human mechanics in slow motion. Do you have his head on hard 10b break in that slo mo?

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is fantastic stuff. The break is so..... important and when you slow it down like this and see how much is going into it form the perspective of a champion its more than instructive.

Dr. Dave keep up the good work, we salute you.

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dave. Very cool! I have noticed while watching him play that it seems like he chokes up on the cue quite a bit, not just on breaks. So that is for power?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards,
Dave

This kinda backs up what I've always thought and said. Everyone always says how you have to take lessons to " fix " your stroke, because it is not level or whatever. Your this or that can't move... etc etc, but yet you see some of the best in the world especially a lot of Pinoys with their arm going all over the place and yet still SOMEHOW manage to not only make the ball but also play awesome! I'm kinda the same way; not I regards to playing awesome lol but I have what these teachers would consider " bad for " but yet I always seem to make the ball. Just my .02

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
This kinda backs up what I've always thought and said. Everyone always says how you have to take lessons to " fix " your stroke, because it is not level or whatever. Your this or that can't move... etc etc, but yet you see some of the best in the world especially a lot of Pinoys with their arm going all over the place and yet still SOMEHOW manage to not only make the ball but also play awesome! I'm kinda the same way; not I regards to playing awesome lol but I have what these teachers would consider " bad for " but yet I always seem to make the ball. Just my .02

Don't use break technique for specific results as an excuse for poor "normal shooting form". The stuff he is doing there is specific for the break to achieve certain effects. I have NEVER seen anyone who moves around during their actual stroke be considered a world class potter. A bunch of the Pinoys have cute PSR (I'll call them Pre-Shot-Rituals) but on delivery it all stops.

SVB is getting up and choking up his stroke to accentuate big muscle involvement to achieve power. The ballet of power is for breaking only. NONE OF THIS is deployed on conventional shooting.

Nick

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
Shane is awesome however the magic rack makes everyone a great breaker.
I love seeing Shane's technique, thanks for that :thumbup:
Now if you could get Shane to teach us his racking secrets for breaking using a triangle to rack the balls.

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now we know how he does it, imitation is the best form of flattering. Thanks Dr Dave.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member

Regards,
Dave

Since what's most important is hitting the cue ball with a leveled cue, why move vertically so much? I mean it makes it harder to hit where you want...

When I break, my upper boddy move up like Shane does, but I try not to move my cue as much as he does..

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent video.

I couldn't do this whole standing up thing with the cue pointing directly down into
the table and then straighten it and come up with a good break to save my life.
An alternative is to raise the body well before the stroke with the cue in the level position, as demonstrated in the following video:

NV D.14 - Pool Break Technique Advice - from Vol-III of the Billiard University instructional DVD series

There is no advantage to raising the body and lowering the cue during the stroke.

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dave. Very cool! I have noticed while watching him play that it seems like he chokes up on the cue quite a bit, not just on breaks. So that is for power?
Yes, but only when done in combination with body rise (before or during the stroke) and elbow drop.

Regards,
Dave