Old
  (#31)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,159
vCash: 500
iTrader: 13 / 93%
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Murica
   
10-11-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
I don't believe memorization is optional. If we repeat a particular process enough times, that process gets embedded into the subconscious, sort of like a computer program. The program then runs automatically based on the sensory input supplied to the brain. In other words, as soon as we see a shot (or the cb-ob relationship on the table) the brain begins searching its database of recognized/memorized shots for something similar. And like magic you find yourself automatically aligning your body and stroke for the shot. The process is automatic, though we are consciously providing real time visual input needed to guide the process.

This happens with any aiming method. Experienced players know/recognize more shots. They have greater shot recognition. Players with limited experience have limited shot recognition. The proof is in the fact that experienced CTE users can recognize exactly when a shot requires a 30 inside or a 15 outside or whatever, just as experienced fractional aimers and ghostball aimers can recognize where the cb needs to be as soon as they see the shot.

Experience inadvertently builds shot recognition/memorization, allowing the subconscious to call up the appropriate aiming process for a given shot, whether it's a certain 2-line visual perception and sweep or a single visual of a fractional aim line or a ghostball line. That's why practice, quality table time, is very important.
The 'ol "half-a-million" balls deal. The more you play the more it gets automatic regardless of how you do it.
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#32)
Low500
Banned
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2017
   
10-11-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Like the visuals and pivots/sweeps for fractional aiming, or 90/90 aiming, or shish-ka-bob aiming, or... well, you get the idea.
Or not...
pj
chgo
How would you instruct someone verbally on the way the visuals and pivot/sweeps for fractional aiming like POOLOLOGY are done?
No need to beat around the bush, or deflect it back. Please put it into words as you understand it.
Five students of aiming, including myself, would like to know from you, since you write as an expert on all aiming methods. (just being aware of additional tools for the toolbox, you know)
Thank you.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#33)
8pack
They call me 2 county !
8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute
 
8pack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,760
vCash: 500
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2009
   
10-11-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
How would you instruct someone verbally on the way the visuals and pivot/sweeps for fractional aiming like POOLOLOGY are done?
No need to beat around the bush, or deflect it back. Please put it into words as you understand it.
Five students of aiming, including myself, would like to know from you, since you write as an expert on all aiming methods. (just being aware of additional tools for the toolbox, you know)
Thank you.
You wouldn't happen to go by another name would you??? Maybe like Stan or something. Some of the things you post remind me of that guy. Stan is that you?lol


Everyone has photographic memory; some just don't have the film.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#34)
Vorpal Cue
Just galumping back
Vorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond repute
 
Vorpal Cue's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulgy Woods
   
10-11-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
How would you instruct someone verbally on the way the visuals and pivot/sweeps for fractional aiming like POOLOLOGY are done?
No need to beat around the bush, or deflect it back. Please put it into words as you understand it.
Five students of aiming, including myself, would like to know from you, since you write as an expert on all aiming methods. (just being aware of additional tools for the toolbox, you know)
Thank you.
There won't be any response from pj. He's wrong and he knows it. Post #19 is completely false.

When discussing CTE visuals, the following must be acknowledged:

A CTE visual is a unique alignment method.

The term 'visual' ( when used as a noun, not an adjective or adverb ) was coined from the alignment methods of Hal Houle.

Facts are tricky things to refute. Anyone able to help pj out with his post #19 comments? BC21? 8pack? Bueller? Bueller?


My Vorpal cue jabbed 'er wonky and the shot went snicker-snack. 'Twas brillig.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#35)
8pack
They call me 2 county !
8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute
 
8pack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,760
vCash: 500
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2009
   
10-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal Cue View Post
There won't be any response from pj. He's wrong and he knows it. Post #19 is completely false.

When discussing CTE visuals, the following must be acknowledged:

A CTE visual is a unique alignment method.

The term 'visual' ( when used as a noun, not an adjective or adverb ) was coined from the alignment methods of Hal Houle.

Facts are tricky things to refute. Anyone able to help pj out with his post #19 comments? BC21? 8pack? Bueller? Bueller?
I'll try buddy. Ok....put your tin foil hat on straight...tap your shoes together 3 times for a 1/2 tip pivot and twice when lining up at the quarters of the ball....A or C. So 5 taps for these . Now for the B . Same process but close your ears or eyes, which ever works easier for you. Thats about it....oh forgot to mention maybe a prayer or 2.


Everyone has photographic memory; some just don't have the film.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#36)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
 
Patrick Johnson's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 20,518
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2007
   
10-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
How would you instruct someone verbally on the way the visuals and pivot/sweeps for fractional aiming ... ?
Fractions With Pivots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal Cue View Post
There won't be any response from pj.
Start making sense and you might get responses.

pj <- holding my breath
chgo
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#37)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute
 
BC21's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: West Virginia
   
10-11-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal Cue View Post
There won't be any response from pj. He's wrong and he knows it. Post #19 is completely false.

When discussing CTE visuals, the following must be acknowledged:

A CTE visual is a unique alignment method.

The term 'visual' ( when used as a noun, not an adjective or adverb ) was coined from the alignment methods of Hal Houle.

Facts are tricky things to refute. Anyone able to help pj out with his post #19 comments? BC21? 8pack? Bueller? Bueller?
The "coining" of terms -- words have meanings, and using known words within the context of their meanings is not "coining" a term. It's merely utilizing language.

The word "visual" has been used as a noun way before Hal Houle adopted the word for sighting a pool shot. It's typically used an adjective, as in visual presentation or visual perception. But a visual is anything you can see with your eyes.

Forming a mental visual, something that you can't really see with your eyes because you must imagine it, like a shot line or an aim line or a CTE or ETA line, is a visualization, not a "visual".

A "visual perception" is the brain's abilty to form a mental picture/image in your mind based on what you are seeing or visualizing. Our brains can also form perceptions based on other sensory inputs like hearing, touch, and smell.

Hal Houle may've been the first to use the word "visual" as a noun relating to pool shots, just as he or Stan was probably the first to use the words "visual perception" in relation to visualizing pool shots. But these words already existed and weren't redefined or coined. In fact, a "visual" as you describe (or as Hal described) in pool is not really a visual at all....it's a visualization, something you must imagine. So this whole argument is really based on the inappropriate use of words.


POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#38)
Vorpal Cue
Just galumping back
Vorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond repute
 
Vorpal Cue's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulgy Woods
   
10-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Fractions With Pivots


Start making sense and you might get responses.

pj <- holding my breath
chgo
Refute post #34 if you can.

I'll ask for the THIRD time. Put up and back up your claim.

When was the first time you heard of visuals? I'm guessing it was in the usenet era in relation to one of Houle's methods.

Show any use of the term 'visual' as a noun in any aiming book, magazine, or publication.

You're wrong.

Take a deep breath and give it a try.


My Vorpal cue jabbed 'er wonky and the shot went snicker-snack. 'Twas brillig.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#39)
Vorpal Cue
Just galumping back
Vorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond repute
 
Vorpal Cue's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulgy Woods
   
10-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
The "coining" of terms -- words have meanings, and using known words within the context of their meanings is not "coining" a term. It's merely utilizing language.

The word "visual" has been used as a noun way before Hal Houle adopted the word for sighting a pool shot. It's typically used an adjective, as in visual presentation or visual perception. But a visual is anything you can see with your eyes.

Forming a mental visual, something that you can't really see with your eyes because you must imagine it, like a shot line or an aim line or a CTE or ETA line, is a visualization, not a "visual".

A "visual perception" is the brain's abilty to form a mental picture/image in your mind based on what you are seeing or visualizing. Our brains can also form perceptions based on other sensory inputs like hearing, touch, and smell.

Hal Houle may've been the first to use the word "visual" as a noun relating to pool shots, just as he or Stan was probably the first to use the words "visual perception" in relation to visualizing pool shots. But these words already existed and weren't redefined or coined. In fact, a "visual" as you describe (or as Hal described) in pool is not really a visual at all....it's a visualization, something you must imagine. So this whole argument is really based on the inappropriate use of words.
The term 'visual' in noun form is defined (in the multiple dictionaries I used) as a graphic or picture element usually used in relation to films. Normally used in the plural form. To use it outside it's normal usage is coining a term. There's no definition as it being 'a common aiming term used in billiards'. It's use in CTE is as a unique term. Too bad Hal isn't around or you could thank him for coining it.

The visualization of the 2 lines is called .......... a visual. Surprise!

btw.. How many times did you use the term 'visual' as a noun in your book? Was it once? ... or less?


My Vorpal cue jabbed 'er wonky and the shot went snicker-snack. 'Twas brillig.

Last edited by Vorpal Cue; 10-11-2019 at 12:05 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#40)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute
 
BC21's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: West Virginia
   
10-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal Cue View Post
The term 'visual' in noun form is defined (in the multiple dictionaries I used) as a graphic or picture element usually used in relation to films. Normally used in the plural form. To use it outside it's normal usage is coining a term. There's no definition as it being 'a common aiming term used in billiards'. It's use in CTE is as a unique term. Too bad Hal isn't around or you could thank him for coining it.

The visualization of the 2 lines is called .......... a visual. Surprise!

btw.. How many times did you use the term 'visual' as a noun in your book? Was it once? ... or less?
I don't know how many times I used the word visual in my book. I would say zero times, or close to it, because a visual is something you can actual see/capture with your eyes, not something you must imagine or visualize.


POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#41)
Vorpal Cue
Just galumping back
Vorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond repute
 
Vorpal Cue's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulgy Woods
   
10-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
I don't know how many times I used the word visual in my book. I would say zero times, or close to it, because a visual is something you can actual see/capture with your eyes, not something you must imagine or visualize.
Thanks for responding. I had a hunch a quarters book wouldn't use the term.

You seem to have some confusion about a visual. CTE visuals are quite easy to see. In fact they're much easier for me to use than a 3/16 quarters alignment for example.


My Vorpal cue jabbed 'er wonky and the shot went snicker-snack. 'Twas brillig.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#42)
Vorpal Cue
Just galumping back
Vorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond repute
 
Vorpal Cue's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulgy Woods
   
10-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pack View Post
I'll try buddy. Ok....put your tin foil hat on straight...tap your shoes together 3 times for a 1/2 tip pivot and twice when lining up at the quarters of the ball....A or C. So 5 taps for these . Now for the B . Same process but close your ears or eyes, which ever works easier for you. Thats about it....oh forgot to mention maybe a prayer or 2.
Thanks for incoherent rant.


My Vorpal cue jabbed 'er wonky and the shot went snicker-snack. 'Twas brillig.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#43)
8pack
They call me 2 county !
8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute8pack has a reputation beyond repute
 
8pack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,760
vCash: 500
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2009
   
10-11-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal Cue View Post
Thanks for incoherent rant.
Your welcome.


Gotta question for you, why are there so many people having a hard time with pro1
.cte?


Everyone has photographic memory; some just don't have the film.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#44)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
 
Patrick Johnson's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 20,518
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2007
   
10-11-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal Cue View Post
The visualization of the 2 lines is called .......... a visual.
Even if Stan had trademark rights to the word "visual" it wouldn't mean that CTE's visual is any different in function than the visuals used in other systems or non-systems. CTE's inability to clearly define it doesn't make it special or different - it just makes CTE's advertising... er, fanciful.

pj
chgo
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#45)
Vorpal Cue
Just galumping back
Vorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond reputeVorpal Cue has a reputation beyond repute
 
Vorpal Cue's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tulgy Woods
   
10-11-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Even if Stan had trademark rights to the word "visual" it wouldn't mean that CTE's visual is any different in function than the visuals used in other systems or non-systems. CTE's inability to clearly define it doesn't make it special or different - it just makes CTE's advertising... er, fanciful.

pj
chgo
There are no visuals in any other system. You have only a one line aim point. For the FOURTH time, tell us of any system that uses the noun "visual" as part of it's aiming system. Good luck, you'll need it.

btw.. Your 'advertising' is much more fanciful.


My Vorpal cue jabbed 'er wonky and the shot went snicker-snack. 'Twas brillig.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.