Sly / harris

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, they were great but new vette would eat the old vette's lunch. 0-60 in 2.85 seconds and doing 134mph at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Heck, my Lexus is as fast to 60 as my old 1970 GTO. Just lighter, better engineering, and much, much better transmissions in today's cars.

Of course the old cars are collectible and demanding some big dollars, and so will todays cars in 40 years ;) Just gotta buy a few $80K cars and tuck them away for 50 years, and wait for your profit :)

In 20 years everyone will be driving electric or hydrogen powered vehicles, or better yet, being picked up by a self driving pod! :thumbup:
The gas station will almost be a thing of the past and electric charging stations will have replaced them everywhere.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has nothing to do with it. Its fraud plain and simple.

You post idiotic nonsense in every thread, so carry on.
Jason

So it’s nonsense to repeat what the OP said in his post? How are you going to dispute this? He is happy and you’re not?

It’s his cue not yours.

Stop your outrage through the lens of someone else.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "old" cars were built with real steel and all the components were heavier. Just try picking up the hood on a 50's or 60's model American car and you'll feel the difference right there. Same for trunk lids. What makes the new cars safer is the seat belts and air bags, and the side structural support that was missing from older model cars. As far as faster I would contend that as well. Check what sells for the highest prices at car auctions. 60's and early 70's model performance cars like the Dodges with the 383 and 426 hemi engines are among the most popular, as well as high performance 350GT Mustangs, 289 and 427 Cobras and Corvette Sting Rays.

I owned a 1967 'Vette with the 427 engine listed at 435 Horsepower (it was reputed to actually have in excess of 500 HP). My 'Vette had Positraction and 4.11 rear end. There aren't many cars being made today at any price that could pull that car off the line. Stock with good rubber it would do sub 12 second quarters at over 110 mph. That's fast for a street car. 0 to 60 was something under five seconds as well. And the 427 Cobra was faster!

Except for Teslas!

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pains me to say ...

It pains me to say it but with the things that can be done with the ignitions and valves controlled by computer systems today as well as electric or dual powered cars, cars are faster today by any yardstick. I read about a very limited production street car that I think runs several million dollars that claims a zero to sixty time of just under two seconds! Saw an article about a street car with basically all formula one power train and running gear with I think a carbon fiber body too. The mideast playboys ship these cars to western europe in the season and park them anywhere including in the middle of the street. Dozens of them end up impounded and abandoned. I can only daydream!

The closest thing I know of from the old days was the early sixties Cobra not to be confused with the later Mustangs. This was an aluminum bodied lightweight car with a Ford 427 under the hood. Two seats and a glove box that only held a pair of gloves. Great handling and a claimed time of ten seconds flat to go zero to one-hundred and back to zero. Far better braking components now and computer controlled brakes allow much faster braking too. I suspect some of the limited production cars of today can do the zero to one-hundred to zero thing in under five seconds.

Jay's 427 Corvette was the fastest factory street machine that could actually be bought by the average person for many years although I think some of the squirreller cars like the 429 Mercury Cougar might have beaten it in a straight line. The Corvettes had massive frames and thick fiberglass, the Mustang/Cougar a lightweight and flimsy unibody. The Corvettes were heavy.

Final note: Those 427 Vette's were about bragging rights and bleedover to other model sales. Dyno'd by independent testers at over 500HP, they cost Chevrolet over ten-thousand a unit to produce and listed for $6600 in some years of production!

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It pains me to say it but with the things that can be done with the ignitions and valves controlled by computer systems today as well as electric or dual powered cars, cars are faster today by any yardstick. I read about a very limited production street car that I think runs several million dollars that claims a zero to sixty time of just under two seconds! Saw an article about a street car with basically all formula one power train and running gear with I think a carbon fiber body too. The mideast playboys ship these cars to western europe in the season and park them anywhere including in the middle of the street. Dozens of them end up impounded and abandoned. I can only daydream!

The closest thing I know of from the old days was the early sixties Cobra not to be confused with the later Mustangs. This was an aluminum bodied lightweight car with a Ford 427 under the hood. Two seats and a glove box that only held a pair of gloves. Great handling and a claimed time of ten seconds flat to go zero to one-hundred and back to zero. Far better braking components now and computer controlled brakes allow much faster braking too. I suspect some of the limited production cars of today can do the zero to one-hundred to zero thing in under five seconds.

Jay's 427 Corvette was the fastest factory street machine that could actually be bought by the average person for many years although I think some of the squirreller cars like the 429 Mercury Cougar might have beaten it in a straight line. The Corvettes had massive frames and thick fiberglass, the Mustang/Cougar a lightweight and flimsy unibody. The Corvettes were heavy.

Final note: Those 427 Vette's were about bragging rights and bleedover to other model sales. Dyno'd by independent testers at over 500HP, they cost Chevrolet over ten-thousand a unit to produce and listed for $6600 in some years of production!

Hu

I wouldn't want to drive anything that fast today. I had a 1970 Pontiac Gran Prix, model SJ with well over 400 HP in the early 70's, and it was one of the fastest "big" cars. It had a nice smooth ride and very good handling qualities as well. For reasons of nostalgia I looked for and found a rehabbed one for sale in L.A. several years ago. I took it for a ride and it was way too fast for 60 year old Jay. I realized my days of driving fast cars were over. :D

raistlinsdragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But even if Leon had someone make a point blank for him or do some inlay work, would you have any reason to be upset? In my opinion the clear answer is No. Leon built you the cue you wanted just like you wanted and even if he had some help so what. I am not saying he did or not as I do not know, but it does not matter either way. What matters is you were delivered the quality of cue you expected and if it had shown up less than up to specs it would be Leon you would be talking to and blaming. So he gets the credit or the blame as it is his cue without help or with help.:deadhorse:

It makes all the difference, Harris said he made cues for him, not just parts. Outside the fact Harris cues cost half of what Sly's do. So I guess you would be fine with someone buying a blank , having someone else add inlays. Someone else putting the finish on.....It is the mission of the American Cuemakers Association to become the best organization worldwide for establishing a top flight standard of excellence in cue making, recognized as the benchmark by which others are measured.

Guess you just told us what the American Cuemakers Association is worth.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Whole bunch of cars that beat that old Vette. Was considering buying a Mercedes AMG GLC63 S this last week, it runs the quarter under 12 and it's an SUV.
Jason

I just watched one like it sell at auction for 175K. Kind of wish I had hung onto it now. :rolleyes:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of quick notes on this sidetracked thread.

Corvette had the 435 HP motor but the 430 HP was the most powerful. I have owned both motors, the 430 was the L88 and it's the one they lied about. James Garner raced that motor.

AMG? Get it, you will not regret it.

I had the 55 AMG and it would come out of passing gear at 145 mph, slam you into the seat as it hit 5th gear. I took a picture at 153 mph thinking it was rev limited to 155 only to find out later that it was limited at 186 mph. The picture is now framed and it hangs on the wall.

I feel bad we hijacked this thread, I have asked before that we have a thread set aside for Pool Player hobbies, I am sure it would be filled with cars and many other toys.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whole bunch of cars that beat that old Vette. Was considering buying a Mercedes AMG GLC63 S this last week, it runs the quarter under 12 and it's an SUV.
Jason

I have the gl550 and it is a beast. Add an AMG, and and almost another liter? Yeeowch.

She takes only premium fuel...and mpg is in the 13 range too. More yeeowch:eek:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
In 20 years everyone will be driving electric or hydrogen powered vehicles, or better yet, being picked up by a self driving pod! :thumbup:
The gas station will almost be a thing of the past and electric charging stations will have replaced them everywhere.

That will be funny watching classic cars driving down the streets with no noise, because they were all converted to electric :) lol Just won't be the same !!!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
daydreaming

I wouldn't want to drive anything that fast today. I had a 1970 Pontiac Gran Prix, model SJ with well over 400 HP in the early 70's, and it was one of the fastest "big" cars. It had a nice smooth ride and very good handling qualities as well. For reasons of nostalgia I looked for and found a rehabbed one for sale in L.A. several years ago. I took it for a ride and it was way too fast for 60 year old Jay. I realized my days of driving fast cars were over. :D

Yeah, I suspect I would be the same. I would like to drive a sprint car one more time, or a top of the line late model on dirt. I don't know the horsepower they claim now, up around a thousand or so in a 1400 to 2200 pound car. Drive that thing head on towards a steel or concrete wall and then a twitch of the steering wheel gets it sideways and you hope the engine doesn't hick-up because the back tires pointing towards the wall are what makes it turn. In my head and heart I think I could drive a couple dozen laps and be only a few seconds off of the pace. In reality I doubt I could run a car wide open looking at a wall coming my way. Several friends first trying dirt cars had major crashes. I asked what happened. "I don't know, I think I forgot to turn." That would probably be me today. I'd still strap in if I got a chance.

My brother was in the army when I got into dirt tracking. He came home and since he had never driven on dirt I sat him in my late model and gave careful instructions, "Go down there and take a left. Come back this way and take another left." I didn't mention that the car's natural set-up was to turn left and you had to be turning slightly right to make it go straight. First three times he hit the throttle he spun out.

Hu

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fillup benz pic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190102-120331_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190102-120331_Gallery.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 387

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
A couple of quick notes on this sidetracked thread.

Corvette had the 435 HP motor but the 430 HP was the most powerful. I have owned both motors, the 430 was the L88 and it's the one they lied about. James Garner raced that motor.

AMG? Get it, you will not regret it.

I had the 55 AMG and it would come out of passing gear at 145 mph, slam you into the seat as it hit 5th gear. I took a picture at 153 mph thinking it was rev limited to 155 only to find out later that it was limited at 186 mph. The picture is now framed and it hangs on the wall.

I feel bad we hijacked this thread, I have asked before that we have a thread set aside for Pool Player hobbies, I am sure it would be filled with cars and many other toys.

I have a Yamaha Fz1, tuned with 175hp at the rear tire. Aside from a select few cars with vowels as the last letter, AMGs give me the best runs on the highway from 60-120 mph. Nice cars.