10ball Ghost question....

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what percentage of the time a pro would run out playing the 10ball ghost with ball in hand after the break regardless of pocketing a ball???? No combos allowed and 10ball spots if made out of order..... Soft breaking is not allowed... Magic rack is in use...

I would have to bet maybe 85%

I know Bartram practices this way and likely knows his percentages....

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
What kind of table and pocket size matter quite a bit, but overall I'd guess that 85% might be on the high side.

I hope so...that game kicks my ass almost every time.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
9ft diamond 4 1/2" tournament pockets and you can combo any ball. Only the 10ball spots if made out of order on a legal shot others will stay down and player will continue.....

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Renfro...I'll take that bet. Chris plays good, but I will absolutely bet that his runout percentage, as you have detailed the peramters, is nowhere near 85%. That would high for anybody but the top 10 players in the world. 50% would be more realistic, and I still think that's high. Besides, it's really a moot point. To come up with any kind of statistical average they would have to play 100-200 games minimum.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I would have to bet maybe 85%

I know Bartram practices this way and likely knows his percentages....

Sensation

right there
Silver Member
I've been playing the 10-ball ghost by these rules for a while and I am winning most of the time. And by no mean am I a pro.

So...
I think to keep an average of 70% on long term is very very tough but makeable. Still, I'd like to see it with my own eyes.

85% of wins means everytime you play 100 games vs the ghost, he wins 15 and you win 85. Everytime he wins 1, you win 5.6... NO WAY! Not as average (200 games +)

rayshooter22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're shooting 70% or above with those rules you're playing world class run-out 10 ball.

My buddy Chip Klein had a defined rubric that would outline skill levels at the given percentages for the 10 ball ghost. I distinctly remember that 70% was the cut-off for world class pro status. 60-70 was short stop/A+ level player and all the way down to beginner.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. I figured I was high and Scott was a little low. I was at 50% when I was practicing that way but the table was not as tight as a 9" Diamond with 4.5" tournament cut pockets.

Derek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a 10-ball ghost league where your handicap in the number of balls you can remove from the table. I hover between a handicap of 1 and 2 and average around 40% of completed racks (should easily be 50% based on some boneheaded mental errors on my part). We don't have the strongest players in the area shooting in the league so no one is currently ranked as a 0 or a "pro".

With BIH, I would figure pros run out somewhere between Renfro's estimate (85%) and Scott's (50%). The biggest keys being pros have killer breaks and that they are getting BIH. For most pros, the only thing that should really be preventing them from running out is problem clusters after the break.

doublej487

valleys are 2 tight
Silver Member
The Renfro...I'll take that bet. Chris plays good, but I will absolutely bet that his runout percentage, as you have detailed the peramters, is nowhere near 85%. That would high for anybody but the top 10 players in the world. 50% would be more realistic, and I still think that's high. Besides, it's really a moot point. To come up with any kind of statistical average they would have to play 100-200 games minimum.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

on chris "s table his runout percentage has to b close to that... i once witnessed him run 4 racks ..... on a guy.... the nxt three shots the guy got were kicks

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a short race...~7, perfect sets are realistic, but IMO, as stated 75% would be a tuff nut to crack going to 100+.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree, I run 40 - 50% playing the 9-ball ghost when I'm playing well, so in a typical race to 7 or 9 I win some and lose some but it's typically pretty close either way. The break, not only how well I'm actually breaking but just any weird clusters etc. that can pop up sometimes several racks in a row, can make a difference for sure between having to run racks of 9 ball with potentially at least one mess to contend with or 6/7/8 balls where they are all spread out.

I really haven't played much 10-ball ghost yet, but as stated I would imagine the top pros are between 50% and 70% over a longer sample of games. It takes a lot of concentration over an extended period of time to hit those numbers.

Scott

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Average shortstop 50%. I would guess Bartram would be over the long run at least at the 60% mark with this game. I believe SVB, Dennis O, Ronnie, Alex, Bustie,etc would be around the 70% mark (After 1000 games).