Corey Deuel and his contribution to pool history

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't fault Corey for figuring out the soft break. However, I do fault him for pattern racking in both 8 and 9 ball. I remember in one of the bar table tournaments he was racking almost all of the stripes and solids on opposite sides and in one of the 9 ball events he shot a 4-9 combo something like four times in one set against Orcullo.

I guess it is also the fault of his opponents and referees for not calling him out on blatant racking violations.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the funniest one was calling a referee over to clean the cueball after he was hooked by the tiniest margin.

Of course after being cleaned, the cue ball was not in the exact position any longer and he was able to make the shot that he couldnt prior to the repositioning of the cue ball.

I think it was an One Pocket match and Billy Incardona was doing the commentary.

Ken

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
I really laughed out load at the video. Kudos to the kid that made it. As for Corey, you have to give him some credit because the point is to win without breaking the rules and he figured out how.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the funniest one was calling a referee over to clean the cueball after he was hooked by the tiniest margin.

Of course after being cleaned, the cue ball was not in the exact position any longer and he was able to make the shot that he couldnt prior to the repositioning of the cue ball.

I think it was an One Pocket match and Billy Incardona was doing the commentary.

Ken

I see a lot of players asking for the ball to be cleaned in tough shot situations, clearly hoping it will be moved a tiny bit.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah-The refs should start moving it a tiny bit in the wrong direction.

I was thinking the same thing, they need to check how the cueball to object ball looks like, and then check it again after placing it back. Even a fraction of a mm can make a difference.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking the same thing, they need to check how the cueball to object ball looks like, and then check it again after placing it back. Even a fraction of a mm can make a difference.

Without speaking to the facts of the event...if you are hooked, what negative is there in asking for a wipe and a reset?

If you get unhooked, optimal.
If you get hooked, you were hooked before.
If you get more hooked, see line above.

3 options, no increased negative consequence.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anybody find the vid where Corey was making all 15 balls in the rack with as few turns as possible?

It was damn cool and something most players have not seen or considered.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without speaking to the facts of the event...if you are hooked, what negative is there in asking for a wipe and a reset?

If you get unhooked, optimal.
If you get hooked, you were hooked before.
If you get more hooked, see line above.

3 options, no increased negative consequence.

No negative for the player, but a bit of a negative for the game and the rules.

If I was a ref I may tell them to wait for after the shot was played since it was a very delicate situation. I would guess the rules allow for that to be done unless there is some clear marks on the cueball.

Trying to use the ref to try to bypass the rule about not touching the balls in play is pretty shady.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No negative for the player, but a bit of a negative for the game and the rules.

If I was a ref I may tell them to wait for after the shot was played since it was a very delicate situation. I would guess the rules allow for that to be done unless there is some clear marks on the cueball.

Trying to use the ref to try to bypass the rule about not touching the balls in play is pretty shady.
I guess it is a matter of perspective, re where the request comes from.

Your response seems to suggest you view a request to rub the balls as nefarious. I don't think a ref can approach things like that.

That said, there is some cause for the rules to state that incoming shooter can only get his balls rubbed prior to the shot after request...but that could potentially undermine confidence in the first shot.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

Don't discount that he was never hooked at all and just seemingly "pulled off a move" to get in his opponents head. He is slick enough to do just that.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
The destruction of 9 ball is not Corey's fault.

It's is tournament promoter's/referee's fault. They are the ones allowing the magic rack to be used, and they WANT it to be used, because it speeds up tournaments.

They could give two craps whether it destroys 9 ball as a legitimate test of skill.

Short Bus Russ