Three shot, one dead, at Arlington pool hall

9ball mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool hall this happened at is a Clicks that was shut down over a year ago, and it has since been re-opened by a group of Jamaicans. This is definatly not somewhere you would go to enjoy a game of pool with friends. It is in a bad part of town and the crowd is always very rough. They do not have a liquor liscense so they do pretty much anything they can to bring in any business possible, and all it has done is created problems with the crowd it brings in.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HEy! They kill people in Virginia Arlington too. Coincidence? I think not:
Murder at the Pool Hall! Again!

The Third Murder: February, 2001
Here is an account of the third documented murder at Hi Cue pool hall, located in our neighborhood at George Mason Drive and Columbia Pike.

Officers responded to the Hi Cue Billiards in the 900 block of S. George Mason Drive just before midnight on February 3rd for a report of a fight. When they arrived, they found the victim, a juvenile from Fairfax County, who was suffering from a stab wound to the lower body. He was transported to Arlington Hospital where he was pronounced dead. His next of kin have been notified.
This investigation is in its early stages. It appears that a group of six Asian males, 3 adults and 3 juveniles, arrived at the business. Several went inside and then left, encountering 1 Asian male who was alone. A fight started and the lone male received injuries. He produced a knife and stabbed one member of the group and this victim was found as described above.

At this time, the 5 members of the group have been charged with malicious wounding. No charges have been placed against the lone individual. All participants deny any gang affiliation. The investigation is continuing.

Steve Holl
Captain
3rd District Commander
Arlington County Police Department

This is the third or fourth murder

The Second Murder - March, 1997
First Cut - Day two: Monday, March 23
Early on the morning of Monday, March 23 (actually very late on Sunday night) there was another incident at the Hi Cue pool hall at Columbia Pike and George Mason Drive.
According to police reports in the Washington Post, a man was murdered--shot in the head--in the parking lot as he left the pool hall. The murder may have been in retaliation for another shooting there the night before, when a man was shot in the stomach but survived.

See Channel4 archives for footage of the FBI raid of Hi Cue in 1992 for what Jim Handley called "alleged gambling activity." Handley had covered that event as well, and made good use of his perspective on the story.

The First Murder
On November 7, 1992, Hoang Nguyen was shot to death and Minh Quang Ta was stabbed in the parking lot in front of Hi-Cue Billiards. The incident had begun with fighting earlier in the evening, and the group later convicted of the crimes had followed the victims' group to Hi-Cue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This page was revised on: July 29, 2006.

C7D26697-CEB7-444D-94AE-9B9846537BEDiphone_photo.jpg

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I used to shoot league in that poolhall back before it changed ownership (it was once a Click's, but changed about a year ago). It is next door to a strip club. Some very shady-looking characters used to come in (with their "ladies" ;)) and shoot pool while we were trying to NOT be distracted (again another ;)) while we shot league 9-ball.

I haven't been to that poolhall since it changed hands. It IS in a bad section of town.

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
It's top secret, Mike!

Yeah, I gotta hide my identity AND my speed....................so I won't get laughed right off of the forums :embarrassed2:!!!

Mike, the name is Tony Metz. I used to shoot in APA 8-ball and 9-ball leagues. When I shot at the old Click's, it was usually the 9-ball team that I captained. It's been about a year and a half since I played there. Our team was named Shoot-2-Thrill and our home poolhall was Lucky's (I-20 and Green Oaks). I had several matches during those two or three sessions from the team that shot out of Click's against a very talented older (mid-seventies) gentleman named Mike Morrissey. Do you remember/know him?

Maniac (Hi Melinda. Miss you!!!)

Last edited:

9ball mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not real sure if I know you or not but I play against Mike Morrisey on tuesday APA masters. He may be getting up in his years but the man will sure sneak up on you if your not careful.

Just fyi if Melinda brings you around and wants to stake you against me I will need at least the 6 out lol.

Last edited:

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
I am not real sure if I know you or not but I play against Mike Morrisey on tuesday APA masters. He may be getting up in his years but the man will sure sneak up on you if your not careful.

Just fyi if Melinda brings you around and wants to stake you against me I will need at least the 6 out lol.

haha! :smiling-heart:

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the area well, although never played there. But have eaten at the little Mexican Restaurant across the street several times. (warning: never park across the street, you'll get towed) Supposedly owned by the inventor of the Frozen Margarita Machine. I think it's in the Smithsonian museum.

I play in an APA league out of Jack's in Grand Prairie. Good to see some folks from this area on the forum. We'll have to have an AZB day somewhere.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Good to see some folks from this area on the forum. We'll have to have an AZB day somewhere.

We did that once a few years ago at Volcano's. I still have the Hoover Trophy (for the player that SUCKED the most :eek:) from that particular get-together. Another one (AZB day, not Hoover trophy :grin:) would be fun. Maybe I can give the trophy to someone else :p!!!

Maniac

LoVe4DaGaMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We did that once a few years ago at Volcano's. I still have the Hoover Trophy (for the player that SUCKED the most :eek:) from that particular get-together. Another one (AZB day, not Hoover trophy :grin:) would be fun. Maybe I can give the trophy to someone else :p!!!

Maniac

And the trophy would go to me.. lol

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds like fun! Sunday afternoon sometime maybe??

I'd make it a race for the Trophy!

Did you guys just get together and shoot or have some sort of tournament?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
sounds like fun! Sunday afternoon sometime maybe??

I'd make it a race for the Trophy!

Did you guys just get together and shoot or have some sort of tournament?

Some Sunday afternoon sounds like a good time to me. If you want to try to organize it, I'm all in.

We had a mini-tournament the first time we showed up. We had eight people (including my wife whom we had to toss in there to have an even eight). We paired off against someone, played a race to 2 in 8-ball, then a race to 2 in 9-ball. If it came down to a tie, one game of short rack banks (which proved to be a bad idea) to break the tie. Round Robin format (which we had to end early due to time constraints). Whoever had won the most matches was declared the winner. Can't remember who it was. I used to have some pictures archived on here of that days players.

Maniac