"Danny Hart is on the run of his life!"
"He loves this jump- OH MY GOD"
"LOOK AT THE TIME!"
"Look at that whip, whattttt the hell!"
"How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that BIG."

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a North Jersey kid I was a die hard Yankee fan. Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto had a bowling alley within a bicycle ride for me. This was in the fifties and sixties. Then as now he was known for his Yogi-ism's. The fat lady sings was one of them.

BTW, Yogi, the Scooter and the rest of the Yankees would sign baseballs anytime you could find them there. Free, imagine that!

So no, you will never, ever, get me or millions of other Yankee fans to believe that it has anything to do with pool.

One other. Yogi went to Catholic school. After failing a test the nun asked "Yogi, don't you know anything?" Yogi says " I don't even suspect nuthin". Or at least that's the story as he told it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the looks of it, he pooped his pants. I don't blame him.

He talks funny. Check out the closed caption about 8:45.

I have a lotta trouble understanding his accent. Daz's too.

I wonder if they are from the same zone of the UK?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I have a lotta trouble understanding his accent. Daz's too.

I wonder if they are from the same zone of the UK?

What about Alex Lely?

I used to love Sid Waddell. He'd have me ROFLMAO with his accent and his excitable commentary. :thumbup: Miss him. R.I.P. Sid.

Maniac

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
The fat lady singing is well known to be an Opera reference... Good thing RiverCity straightened you out though, I think you almost had yourself convinced otherwise.:grin-square:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fat lady singing is well known to be an Opera reference... Good thing RiverCity straightened you out though, I think you almost had yourself convinced otherwise.:grin-square:

Incorrect.

The phrase "It's not over until the fat lady sings" is actually a mis-quote. The correct phrase is "It's not over until the fat lady sinks" and has its origins in the game of billiards. The black eight ball was commonly referred to as the "fat lady" so no matter how bad the game was for a competitor it wasn't over until the "fat lady" sank.!!
Debbie Pollard, Yorkshire uk

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Incorrect.

The phrase "It's not over until the fat lady sings" is actually a mis-quote. The correct phrase is "It's not over until the fat lady sinks" and has its origins in the game of billiards. The black eight ball was commonly referred to as the "fat lady" so no matter how bad the game was for a competitor it wasn't over until the "fat lady" sank.!!

Debbie lied to you bro!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I’m not going for this....
“It’s not over till the fat lady sings.” Is an operatic term...the diva that would end the play
was almost always a large person....her mass would produce a richer singing voice.
...the saying has been borrowed or stolen for many situations since.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I’m not going for this....
“It’s not over till the fat lady sings.” Is an operatic term...the diva that would end the play
was almost always a large person....her mass would produce a richer singing voice.
...the saying has been borrowed or stolen for many situations since.

Yeah....I think we all need to agree that none of us know a damn thing about the phrase. :thumbup: The facts seem to not be set in concrete.

Fun talkin' 'bout it tho.

Maniac