"Call Shot 9ball"

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all, I would like to share with fellow az members an interesting idea by former Greek 9ball Champion George Flemetakis regarding 9ball rules, personally i haven't seen something like this formulated before, any relative input along with comments on the format is welcomed.
So, here it is:

Call Shot 9ball​

By George Flemetakis, Greek 9ball Champion​

- Call each shot

- Call either ball or safety

- In case of safety incoming player has to play

- No safety allowed by calling a ball

- In all other cases (eg called ball in wrong pocket, ball pocketed after safety call) incoming player has the option to play or let the opponent play again

- In case of play again, opponent has the right to push out

- No jump shots allowed

- Dry break rule from middle of table, push out allowed after break

- Preferably in alternate break format, 9 ball on the spot, race to 13 frames, competition size pockets

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those rules are going to make pool more popular than ice skating. Maybe.

But seriously...why are there so many attempts to get rid of the 2 way shot, just so that a lucky leave after a miss doesn't penalize the incoming player?

That's dumb.

Only rule change I would like to see is no push after the break...and MAYBE call pocket.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all, I would like to share with fellow az members an interesting idea by former Greek 9ball Champion George Flemetakis regarding 9ball rules, personally i haven't seen something like this formulated before, any relative input along with comments on the format is welcomed.
So, here it is:

Call Shot 9ball​

- Call each shot

- In all other cases (eg called ball in wrong pocket, ball pocketed after safety call) incoming player has the option to play or let the opponent play again

- No jump shots allowed

- Preferably in alternate break format, 9 ball on the spot, race to 13 frames, competition size pockets
No offense but this looks like another attempt to take ALL the luck out of the game. We already have ten-ball played to those rules so why jack with 9ball? 9ball was invented as a gambling game and the element of luck is just part of it. Just my $.02, nothing more.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, here it is:

Call Shot 9ball​

- Call each shot

- No jump shots allowed

Not enough rules! We need more rules to play a complicated game like 9-Ball. I think you should have to call your position on the next ball and if you don't get there, the incoming player has the option to shoot or pass the shot back to you. :eek:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
why even bother playing we know who the best players are so why not just give out the prize pool according to that and not have the tournament in the first place.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just leave it as it is if it's not call shot. If you play it call shot then respot the golden 9. Two ways shots can be played always at anytime in any game - two way pots is a different thing altogether and is indeed one of the more interesting things about non call shot 9 ball. But play it for sh1ts and giggles or as part of a long race. Or just play 10 ball - which wouldn't exist if 9 ball had adopted "10 ball express" rules where it's call shot and golden 9s are re-spotted.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not enough rules! We need more rules to play a complicated game like 9-Ball. I think you should have to call your position on the next ball and if you don't get there, the incoming player has the option to shoot or pass the shot back to you. :eek:
Bwwaaaa haahaa haahaa!
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually those who don't win try to figure out ways to hinder those who do.

I think the guy in the OPs post is just coming up with some rules that he thinks would be more appropriate for 9 ball. 9 ball actually allows players who "don't" win to win if the conditions are conducive. His suggested rules actually aren't that bad but they could be simpler to achieve the same goal. The luck factor of 9 ball is one of its charms and I expect that a player of his calibre understands that fully. Set a race up against him and I'll stake him.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the guy in the OPs post is just coming up with some rules that he thinks would be more appropriate for 9 ball. 9 ball actually allows players who "don't" win to win if the conditions are conducive. His suggested rules actually aren't that bad but they could be simpler to achieve the same goal. The luck factor of 9 ball is one of its charms and I expect that a player of his calibre understands that fully. Set a race up against him and I'll stake him.
What kind of dumb shit is that?

I will race him on a bicycle. Set it up within 48 km of dc and bet what you want

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hence 9 ball non-call shot luckfest?
Ever been to DCC? Never heard anyone whining about the rules there. Watched a bunch of matches and sure luck was a factor sometimes but less than what you'd think. Nine-ball is what it is. Don't like it, don't play it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So, here it is:

Call Shot 9ball​

- Call each shot

- No jump shots allowed

These rules come from the kind of people who sit there and hope you miss...
..or hook yourself.
Tell him to spend more time worrying about how he can play better....
..or take up duplicate bridge.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever been to DCC? Never heard anyone whining about the rules there. Watched a bunch of matches and sure luck was a factor sometimes but less than what you'd think. Nine-ball is what it is. Don't like it, don't play it.

I like it. I play it. The way it is played (i.e. the rules that it is generally played by) has changed over time. They can change again. The rules of 10 ball changed pretty recently and changed the way the game is played.

I'm not in agreement with the OP. I actually like it the way it is - but would also like it if it were a bit different so can see the OP's point. Never whined about rules and don't see anyone whining here - just posting suggestions.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those rules are going to make pool more popular than ice skating. Maybe.

But seriously...why are there so many attempts to get rid of the 2 way shot, just so that a lucky leave after a miss doesn't penalize the incoming player?

That's dumb.

Only rule change I would like to see is no push after the break...and MAYBE call pocket.

I agree with you, Black-Balled.
Two-way shots get into the realm of "intention."
I don't want to even go there.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, here it is:

Call Shot 9ball​

- Call each shot

- No jump shots allowed

Just play 10-ball instead.

This is just as dumb as playing slop 10-ball.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10ball..................

I like it. I play it. The way it is played (i.e. the rules that it is generally played by) has changed over time. They can change again. The rules of 10 ball changed pretty recently and changed the way the game is played.

I'm not in agreement with the OP. I actually like it the way it is - but would also like it if it were a bit different so can see the OP's point. Never whined about rules and don't see anyone whining here - just posting suggestions.
Now according to WPA rules the 10ball HAS to go last. NO caroms or combos during the game on the 10. Again, another attempt at removing ALL luck from the game. Might as well play call-shot 8ball or 14.1. Yee-haw.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now according to WPA rules the 10ball HAS to go last. NO caroms or combos during the game on the 10. Again, another attempt at removing ALL luck from the game. Might as well play call-shot 8ball or 14.1. Yee-haw.

Nah, you can still play 9 ball.