cue tip question

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using kumori meadum tips for quite a while the ones I have on my 314 and 314/2 are getting warn I want to try for a little softer hit any suggestions. it don't have to be a layered tip thanks for any advice

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I'm guessing you mean a Kamui Black Medium tip. If you want something softer, you might want to try a Kamui Black Soft or Super Soft.

Kamui Clear Black Soft
Kamui Clear Black Super Soft

Note : As far as I know, the only difference between the Clear and non-Clear version is aesthetic, as in the clear layer doesn't accomplish anything except look pretty.

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes your right kamui southern red neck never could spell. the tips were installed at the southern classic couple years ago they seem to have gotten harder over time

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
You can't go wrong with UltraSkin Very Soft or Pro Soft. As good as Kamui at about 25% of the price.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
softer tip

Because I repair cues I have several shafts that have different tips on them.
I do this so I know the difference between tips .
And I can let a customer try out different tips on my cue and that helps them decide.
Its also a very good way for me to sale cues .

Who is putting the tip on ?
If you take your cue to a cue repair man he most likely he or she is going to recommend what he or she uses .
Personally I think there is a big difference between shafts and getting the right tip on the right shaft can be extremely important especially when you are playing with a LD shaft or at least that is has been my experience.
My point is the cue repairman that you plan on using to have the tip installed if you don't do it your self might let you try out tips that he already has installed on his spare shafts .

I know I have at least 20 shafts that I can screw on to my main player or cues out of my collection that I can let a customer figure out what kind of tip he likes.

If I was your cue repairman I would recommend Kamui black soft clear or the super soft black clear.

My second recommendation would be Ultra skin softs or super softs.
3rd would be a sniper tip.

You could just walk into a pool hall and start talking to the guys playing pool and as what they recommend because allot of them will let you take a poke or two with there cues...................

Hope this helps Good Luck.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing you mean a Kamui Black Medium tip. If you want something softer, you might want to try a Kamui Black Soft or Super Soft.

Kamui Clear Black Soft

Note : As far as I know, the only difference between the Clear and non-Clear version is aesthetic, as in the clear layer doesn't accomplish anything except look pretty.

Hey Sam,

i have seen some folks say that the clear layer prevents glue from wicking up into the layers of the tip. Not sure how much of a difference that makes or how far up the glue would get without that pad.

Cheers,

Chris

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Hey Sam,

i have seen some folks say that the clear layer prevents glue from wicking up into the layers of the tip. Not sure how much of a difference that makes or how far up the glue would get without that pad.

Cheers,

Chris

Didn't think about that, makes sense.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member

Kamui Clear Black Soft

Wow, Sam, you have an opinion of this topic too? Didnt you claim that you only started playing Pool *3 months ago*?

At 3 months, I'm not sure I even knew waht material cue tips were made out of, lol....

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Wow, Sam, you have an opinion of this topic too? Didnt you claim that you only started playing Pool *3 months ago*?

At 3 months, I'm not sure I even knew waht material cue tips were made out of, lol....

I like to be informed, so I seeked out that information a while ago :)

And even then, isn't it logical that if you want a tip softer than a medium, you would go with the soft version? ;)

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have been using kumori meadum tips for quite a while the ones I have on my 314 and 314/2 are getting warn I want to try for a little softer hit any suggestions. it don't have to be a layered tip thanks for any advice

There are a ton of fake Kamuis out there.

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks mortuarymike that is grate advice wish I had some one like that around here to let me tray out a bunch of tips but I live out in the country here in Ala and cue repair me are few and far between. I will have to drive about 30 miles to get to a good one trying to get the best advice before I go. most guys around here in the pool halls if you ask them what kind of tip they have just give you a blank stare and say what ever came on there cue

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I like to be informed, so I seeked out that information a while ago :)

And even then, isn't it logical that if you want a tip softer than a medium, you would go with the soft version? ;)

" I seeked out that information a while ago"

When was that? 2.5 months ago??

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
" I seeked out that information a while ago"

When was that? 2.5 months ago??

Does it even matter if it was last week or before I bought my cue (little hint here) or right away when I started playing?

Why do you even care? It certainly looks like you are just trying to provoke me.

Wouldn't want to start arguing with you, don't want to be punched.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Does it even matter if it was last week or before I bought my cue (little hint here) or right away when I started playing?

Why do you even care? It certainly looks like you are just trying to provoke me.

Wow, so defensive...and a cheap shot too.

Basically, I'm saying that I find it amazing that you claim to have only played for 3 months. In plain English, I don't believe you and wonder why you are jerking the forum off?

Anywho, have fun (assuming that is your motivation).

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

use the ignore feature, its great :thumbup:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
thanks mortuarymike that is grate advice wish I had some one like that around here to let me tray out a bunch of tips but I live out in the country here in Ala and cue repair me are few and far between. I will have to drive about 30 miles to get to a good one trying to get the best advice before I go. most guys around here in the pool halls if you ask them what kind of tip they have just give you a blank stare and say what ever came on there cue

You might want post in ask the cue maker section if there is anyone in your area that can do tips and maybe help you decide on the best tip for you..

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched from Kamui Black medium tips to Kamui Clear Black soft & super-soft tips......really pleased with the improvement.

Matt B.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Kamui Black Clear Super Soft and love it. And I've played more than 3 months. You may like Elkmaster too.