Oil on pool cue just ruined my felt

hayes1699

Registered
Last night I pulled an extra cue butt out of my case and laid it on my table all night. Here's what I came to this morning.

The cue has 100% been in a controlled environment
I checked the case (which is new) - other butts are fine
The oil only came from the wrap area

Before I reveal the cue manufacturer (assuming the wrap is chemically breaking down, glue?) I want to rule out as many other variables. Has anyone every had this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_9749.jpg
    IMG_9749.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 1,244
  • IMG_9750.jpg
    IMG_9750.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 1,230

hayes1699

Registered
Not at all. This is now a secondary cue for me so I'm not using it regularly... just been sitting in my case.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More importantly, just curious as to how you have already or how you are planning to go about trying to remove this oil stain from your table?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
More importantly, just curious as to how you have already or how you are planning to go about trying to remove this oil stain from your table?

Blue magic and a vac.....stain el finito

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow that is ugly. Check the inside of your case for oil. You dont want to have a repeat of this. I couldnt live with that stain in the cloth. Sucks all around. What kind of wrap is it?

Sent from my SM-C710F using Tapatalk

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the same problem with my cue with Irish linen wrap. In my home pool room I have high humidity 68-74%, wrap on my cue start absorbing moisture and literally got wet. I didn't put my cue on the felt, but did that just one time for something like 30 minutes (met some guests), when I came back I saw a black mark on the felt, and the wrap was full of water and oils. Fortunately black mark was fresh so I was able to take it off with another cloth.
After that I put a tennis overgrip on (over) my cue wrap (Earl' s style) and have no problem with grip or moisture gathering.

P.S. My thought are that oil is from the carnauba wax that I put on my Irish linen.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Woolite

I'd use clean paper towells and dab the stain as dry as possible. I've seen
Woolite used on table cloth and its works wonders. I'd spot clean that spot several
times then Woolite the whole table rails etc. Get a wet cloth to apply it then brush the
table good while wet. Then take dry towels and take all the water out of the table as possible
then fan dry. You'll be good!

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
Wrap

There is only 2 things that would cause this:

1. The carnauba wax you put on the wrap which was not too smart a thing to do.

2. You have very sweaty hands and didn't let the wrap dry before storing the cue.

There is no way high humidity alone would cause this type of moisture accumulation. I suspect a combination of 1 & 2 or someone sabotaged your case.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
thats so much on the cloth, looks like it actually dripped from something held above the table,

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's a pretty dark colored oil. My thoughts are unsealed ebony or oily wood not fully cured perhaps? plus a black wrap, high humidity and hot summer temps might be enough to do it?.
Can you please send me pics of the case you kept it in so I don't accidentally buy it from you on Ebay.

P.S. I hear J.B. makes some fantastic case interiors.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
There is only 2 things that would cause this:

1. The carnauba wax you put on the wrap which was not too smart a thing to do.

2. You have very sweaty hands and didn't let the wrap dry before storing the cue.

There is no way high humidity alone would cause this type of moisture accumulation. I suspect a combination of 1 & 2 or someone sabotaged your case.

I would say if that wrap is at all absorbent and carnuba or any mixes like it in liquid form is definitely not a good idea, I’ve stored cans for a time and it separates into solids and the petroleum distillate....if I got that on cloth..it would look just like that and I can prove it if anyone want or need to argue that.

This is a definite culprit if all other oddities are ruled out.

Bad mix of epoxy can ooze but not like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro