Laying your stick on the table

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any league or tournaments that allows a player to lay his or her cue stick on the playing surface of the table to line up a shot? If so, could it be their jump or break cue or does it have to be their playing cue?
I'm asking because there are a number of kicking and banking systems that would require you to do so for greater accuracy.
For the pros I don't think it's allowed unless they are taking a break and leave the cue on the table to make sure the table is not disturbed. Thanks for responding.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
You can line up a shot as long as you don't let go of the cue. You can lay the cue on the table if you are not using it as an aiming tool (taking a break, etc.).

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can line up a shot as long as you don't let go of the cue. You can lay the cue on the table if you are not using it as an aiming tool (taking a break, etc.).

Exactly for the REAL rules but some of the leagues make up some of their own rules so who knows. 98% of pool players even the top ones dont know the rules that well. Just ask 3 of them about the push rule.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I remember seeing a pro tournament where a player was called for a foul for leaving his cue on the table while reaching down to get the bridge.

The WPA rules say (RULE 6.12) "If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul."

I don't see how it was called a foul, since he was not using the cue to align the shot.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Current BCA league rules allow you to lay a cue on the table and take your hand off, as far as I can tell. From section 1-3, Use of Equipment:

f. You may use your cue, held in your hand or not, to help align a shot.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Current BCA league rules allow you to lay a cue on the table and take your hand off, as far as I can tell. From section 1-3, Use of Equipment:

quite surprised at that-sounds more APAish but you are correct-just read it myself.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bca rules
6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without
having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.
this is from billiard congress of America rules

HOWEVER

this is from bca pool league rules
���� ��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������
�������� �������� ���������� �������� �������� ������������ ������ ���������������� �������������� �������� �������������������� ��������

rule.jpg

dabarber check your pm

Last edited:

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before there was a length requirement for cues, I used the shaft for jump shots. Tom Rossman showed us the benefits during an exhibition at SDSU. When the shot was in the middle of the table, I would use the butt end as a support for the bridge.

This would not be allowed now, but could you use the bridge stick in a similar way? The light would probably get in the way in the middle of the table.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Didn't Shannon Daulton do this occasionally? I thought I remembered him doing it in matches.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I saw Kim Davenport get this foul called against him at the U.S. Open a few years back by Mike Dechaine I believe it was.

Kim, in disbelief mumbled something to himself like "Have I been out of it that long?" He had no idea it was against the rules.

I think he ended up just getting a warning.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Didn't Shannon Daulton do this occasionally? I thought I remembered him doing it in matches.

im pretty sure ive seen shannon do it on an accustats make it happen dvd
there was no foul called

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Kim Davenport get this foul called against him at the U.S. Open a few years back by Mike Dechaine I believe it was.

Kim, in disbelief mumbled something to himself like "Have I been out of it that long?" He had no idea it was against the rules.

I think he ended up just getting a warning.

Rodney had it called too and a warning for a clear foul is even more stupid. U get a warning for behavior, slow play etc
but not rule violations

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well then the general rules for pool should prevail unless they wrote an entire new set of rules

But what are the "general rules for pool?" I don't think there's any agreement on that. If someone in APA tried to call a foul based on the fact that it's in the WPA or some other rules, even though it's not in APA rules, that would be pretty thin.

But to me the "hand on cue" rules seems reasonable.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Here's the complete BCAPL rule:

You may use your cue, held in your hand or not, to help align a shot. You may use your cue and hands to measure angles and distances for bank
shots and kick shots.No other cues, bridges or equipment may be used.

What is interesting about the rule, and I didn't see this situation covered in the applied rulings, is it would appear by omission to allow you to unscrew your cue into two pieces then use the two separate pieces to say, measure the angle in and angle out of a bank or kick shot.

From a theoretical standpoint I'd say it should be against the rules. Using both short pieces of your playing cue would actually be better in many situations than using two separate cues because it would allow you to lay them down to measure many situations where there isn't room to lay two full length cues on the table.

But I wonder if there is anything specific written in the BCA Pool League rules that can actually be used as a basis for calling this a violation aside from perhaps referee discretion to declare it a foul in equity when an unusual situation arises.

Last edited:

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But what are the "general rules for pool?" I don't think there's any agreement on that. If someone in APA tried to call a foul based on the fact that it's in the WPA or some other rules, even though it's not in APA rules, that would be pretty thin.

Do the rules specify who's hand is on the cue? Does it have to be a real hand. It may all depend on what the definition of hand is.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here they are-the rules that apply to 'all games'

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

but i dont get why the stick thing isnt addressed? Is the stick thing specific to 9 ball? Cant be WTH?

maybe Jewett will chime in

Last edited: