Laying your stick on the table

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
when i need to line-up a kick shot (for example), i use the chalk as marker. you can put the chalk anywhere on the rail, so you may use it as marker.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I checked with BCA about this a few months ago. as said, you must keep one hand on the stick. take that hand off, a foul.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
when i need to line-up a kick shot (for example), i use the chalk as marker. you can put the chalk anywhere on the rail, so you may use it as marker.

No, you may not. This is a foul under both WPA and BCAPL rules. Don't know about APA.

I checked with BCA about this a few months ago. as said, you must keep one hand on the stick. take that hand off, a foul.

If you are talking about the the BCAPL then you were misinformed. Clearly the pool league's rule allows you to take your hand off the cue. Here's a post from Buddy Eick, the BCAPL National Head Referee, where he addresses this:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3419760&postcount=7

If you talked to someone at the Billiard Congress about the WPA rules, then you received the correct answer though you got lucky because I'd be surprised if they even have a rules official on the payroll. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here they are-the rules that apply to 'all games'

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

but i dont get why the stick thing isnt addressed? Is the stick thing specific to 9 ball? Cant be WTH?

maybe Jewett will chime in
That's one set of rules - I'd like to be able to say that these are THE rules, but not everyone agrees they are. I just don't think you could call a foul on someone in APA based on WPA rules.

The rule about the stick on the table is under fouls, 6.12.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BCA rules maybe, but not BCA league rules. It's perfectly legal in league, for some reason.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the complete BCAPL rule:

What is interesting about the rule, and I didn't see this situation covered in the applied rulings, is it would appear by omission to allow you to unscrew your cue into two pieces then use the two separate pieces to say, measure the angle in and angle out of a bank or kick shot.

From a theoretical standpoint I'd say it should be against the rules. Using both short pieces of your playing cue would actually be better in many situations than using two separate cues because it would allow you to lay them down to measure many situations where there isn't room to lay two full length cues on the table.

But I wonder if there is anything specific written in the BCA Pool League rules that can actually be used as a basis for calling this a violation aside from perhaps referee discretion to declare it a foul when an unusual situation arises.

Hmmm.. yeah...it's one cue..just in parts...so now the opponent calls forfeit? because you broke down your cue in concession of the game?

That would be fun to watch that conversation, especially after the opponent rakes the balls to rack the next game, since this game is over..

If indeed, as it appears, in the right situation, with the right sanctioning rules..and the opponent aware that you are not forfeiting, using both parts of the cue to measure could be a real advantage..

I know that I might want to measure 'tangent lines' by creating right angle 'crosses' with the two cue pieces.

My league allows cue measuring without keeping your hand on the stick, but they also allow the cue tip on the table, a half ball from the ob, as an aiming reference thru the ob to the pocket, pivot the cue back to the cb shot line, and leave a little mark on the table....hey it's league night...chalk up... heavy:D

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the granny?

Could this "stick" be placed on the table for shot alignment purposes? After all, placing it on the table is the proper way to use it.

The rule makers will get these questions all tightened up. Then there will be a smartphone app that you can take a picture of the table and it will calculate the lines. I know there is one that will show the lines, but you have to place the balls on the table first.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Hmmm.. yeah...it's one cue..just in parts...so now the opponent calls forfeit? because you broke down your cue in concession of the game?

That would be fun to watch that conversation, especially after the opponent rakes the balls to rack the next game, since this game is over..

If indeed, as it appears, in the right situation, with the right sanctioning rules..and the opponent aware that you are not forfeiting, using both parts of the cue to measure could be a real advantage..

An opportunistic opponent might also try for the "quick rake" of the balls when he leaves you hooked and, after assessing the situation you decide on a jump shot and begin to unscrew your jump/break cue as you approach the table. After all, at the moment it is your "playing cue". :grin-square:

I doubt a ref would support calling a concession in either of these situations when in both you are the player in control of the table. It would more aptly be called when your opponent is at the table and you unscrew from your chair. :wink:

i believe he was being sarcastic

Prolly. I was. :wink::grin-square:

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Originally Posted by Celophanewrap View Post
I don't think the APA addresses this at all. There is no rule preventing it

well then the general rules for pool should prevail unless they wrote an entire new set of rules

Please, this is the APA we're talking about

fireball

Different leagues have slightly differente rules. Good rule of thumb is if you lay a cue on the table, don't let go of it because it could be a foul.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is what I remember.

The WPA has the 'it is a foul' rule ( if you take your hand off). That is how it was around 2004 when we took over the leagues.

We disagreed with this rule - in fact a year or two earlier, I saw a hill-hill team match lost because of that rule. The player was tying their shoelace. That is just wrong!

Even with a lot of aiming, you still gotta shoot the shot. I just think it is a bad rule. In CSI events, it does not exist. You cannot mark the table with chalk or anything like that- but you can line up things with your cue stick. If someone analyzes things too much, they might get a warning for slow play.

Also from memory I believe in the APA that you can use chalk as an aid on aiming - but it cannot touch the cloth. If it touches the cloth, it is a foul. You cannot use anytime as an aiming device in our events.

I gotta say - some of you guys get WAY to anal on these little idiosyncrasies of rules- lol.

Mark Griffin, ceo
CSI

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
That was a crazy ruling, losing a match because he put his cue down to tie his shoe. But that should not have been a foul even under WPA rules which state you cannot let go of the cue when using it to align a shot.

Since he wasn't in the act of aligning/measuring or aiming a shot, there should not have been a foul called.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any league or tournaments that allows a player to lay his or her cue stick on the playing surface of the table to line up a shot? If so, could it be their jump or break cue or does it have to be their playing cue?
I'm asking because there are a number of kicking and banking systems that would require you to do so for greater accuracy.
For the pros I don't think it's allowed unless they are taking a break and leave the cue on the table to make sure the table is not disturbed. Thanks for responding.

Frank..see what you started...;)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
bca rules
6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without
having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.
this is from billiard congress of America rules

HOWEVER

this is from bca pool league rules
���� ��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������
�������� �������� ���������� �������� �������� ������������ ������ ���������������� �������������� �������� �������������������� ��������

View attachment 328731

dabarber check your pm

In the current 2012-2014 edition ''official rules of the BCA Pool League I could not find rule 6.12 This edition puts a (-) between the number...example 6-2. Like someone may have said, the carry around cue case rule books could/may be different or from a different year. The common denominator tho was it had to be your playing cue, no other.

Last edited:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lying stick on the table

That was a crazy ruling, losing a match because he put his cue down to tie his shoe. But that should not have been a foul even under WPA rules which state you cannot let go of the cue when using it to align a shot.

Since he wasn't in the act of aligning/measuring or aiming a shot, there should not have been a foul called.

Well, that sounds simple ----- but in reality how is a referee going to tell that I wasn't using it to align a shot - and maybe I just tied my shoelace in the middle.

The rule is not necessary - the shot must still be executed. A rule like the one being discussed is only a way to start an argument.

Why create a situation that is open to 'intent?'

Mark Griffin

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the current 2012-2014 edition ''official rules of the BCA Pool League I could not find rule 6.12 This edition puts a (-) between the number...example 6-2. Like someone may have said, the carry around cue case rule books could/may be different or from a different year. The common denominator tho was it had to be your playing cue, no other.

here is the rules
http://home.bca-pool.com/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=54
here is the section on fouls
http://home.bca-pool.com/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=54#fouls
dont shoot the messenger............:grin:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Fwiw

Copyright© 1995-2011 book is noted at the bottom page of your links. The current BCAPL book is the twenty twelve-twenty fourteen. The links given are from the BCA mfg. in CO website, not the BCAPL in Henderson NV.