Pool pain?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately after playing my left (bridge hand side) shoulder aches, it usually last for a while but goes away by morning. I've done stretching about a hour before swinging the cue and I still get slight pain later. I play about 2hrs a day during the week and 2 4hr sets on sat and Sunday one early and one late afternoon so I don't think it's from over play. The discomfort feels like I pitched a baseball game! Is this normal? I'm also 47yrs old if that matters.

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this out. It might take awhile until you get the hang of it but it´s very efficient .
everything is good but start out with the first 14 min.

Regards

Christian

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
It's possible that you are starting to have some arthritis setting in. Mine started at around 48-50. Now at 60 I can no longer do much in darts. Mine is in my shoulder though, so I'm still able to shoot pool.

Maybe consult your PCP

Last edited:

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you have an inflammation in your shoulder. Did you tried an anti-inflammatory creme?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I just fixed my year-long shoulder pain with about 2or 3 months of yoga-for-seniors.

There are several shoulder things they do that really help.

I figured I'd try that before going to the doctor and I'm glad I did.

Jeff Livingston

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Left shoulder pain in righty pool players is very common. I had it and i imagine it is just caused by the pressure from your arm jamming into your shoulder during the shot.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the exact same issue. I'm experimenting with small changes to my stance to try to isolate and fix the cause. My working theory is that I'm putting too much weight on the bridge hand, which ends up creating pressure on the left shoulder.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
You could be in the early stage of adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder). Google it and read up on it. I was a bit older than you when I got my first case of it. It is a temporary malady that recovery from can be hastened with physical therapy. At different times I eventually got it in both shoulders. Both are GTG now.

Not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. :thumbup:

Hope you get better.

Maniac

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Sounds like arthritis.

I'm 42 and have had a bum left shoulder for years. A motorcycle accident began the eventual elimination of cartilage in that joint, and now there's bone-on-bone contact that can be excruciating. Lifting my hand above my head when my arm is stretched out forward can be very difficult.

Physical therapy has helped a great deal, reducing the pain and stabilizing the shoulder. I wish I'd started years ago, though. I suggest you talk to a doctor and have your shoulder examined.

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately after playing my left (bridge hand side) shoulder aches, it usually last for a while but goes away by morning. I've done stretching about a hour before swinging the cue and I still get slight pain later. I play about 2hrs a day during the week and 2 4hr sets on sat and Sunday one early and one late afternoon so I don't think it's from over play. The discomfort feels like I pitched a baseball game! Is this normal? I'm also 47yrs old if that matters.

I have had the same problem for quite some time now. The pain is pin pointed about where you get your shots at. I can put pressure there and feel some pain.
The Dr. just told me mine is due to muscles in my upper shoulders. Said that Chiropractor could help. So I'm going to try that.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I am not sure if your symptoms are exactly like mine were but I had a painful left shoulder when I would stretch my arm out for a bridge. I would also wake up just about every morning with my left arm numb. Fortunately I injured it at work. I had a partially torn rotator cuff, that was the work injury, but I also had mucho inflammation and there were bones rubbing on each other in my shoulder. The kind doctors stitched up the tear in my rotator cuff, ground away some bones in my shoulder for clearance and burned away the inflamed tissue, its like new now, it hasnt felt this good in years. I think the bones touching and the inflammation is what caused most of my discomfort during pool.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Do a Search, there's allta good info in the archives.