"Reverse" break

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right ;have to use the bridge to draw back.I only tried it once,without the bridge,and miscued! I made the ball and drew one rail to the bottom of the stack.Wouldn't have had another shot.It's funny if I was watching some one leave that break ball with the cueball where it ended up I would have said what you did about needing to use the bridge.When I looked at the post the reach never crossed my mind.Thanks
for pointing this out.

Last edited:

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right ;have to use the bridge to draw back.I only tried it once,without the bridge,and miscued! I made the ball and drew one rail to the bottom of the stack.Wouldn't have had another shot.It's funny if I was watching some one leave that break ball with the cueball where it ended up I would have said what you did about needing to use the bridge.When I looked at the post the reach never crossed my mind.Thanks
for pointing this out.

As someone who can not reach over a table very well, I may think of reach distance as a higher priority than you or others. Looking at the diagram, it doesn't look very far, but on a 9' table, it is definitely too far for me.

We all learn things every day.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'm a fish but I like the carom too. Setting it up a bunch of times should help figure out how to avoid missing. Maybe with enough practice you can get accurate enough to hit the left or right half of the object ball, which should prevent following it in with whitey.

I really hate shooting this the traditional way. You need to hit the hanger accurately to hit the corner of the rack. It's brutal to have the cue ball fly into the middle of the rack and knock a bunch of balls uptable while you freeze to the bottom row. It's like putting yourself in a nasty trap and it's so easy to do.

But is it harder or more risky than the carom? Even if the carom works you're usually a few inches from the foot rail, a crappy position to be shooting from.

I'd like to hear someone's results after shooting both ways 10 or 20 times each.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey CreeDo,

thats preety much what i said in my first or second reply, at least you could have quoted me !!!!!!! LOL :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
I set it up today at the poolroom. This is a pretty standard shot. I thought the reason it came up on the board was because maybe on a real table (as opposed to the WEI) you'd be more straight on it than it looked - and it would be awkward to send the cueball all the way over to hit the rack. But it seemed pretty standard to me.

There's a degree of risk in what you'll get, mostly in that the cueball will stay on the bottom portion of the table. There's probably also a chance that you'll hit the bottom of the rack hard, go to the opposite side rail, and drift right back into the middle of the pack.

That said, I know I'm always going to make the ball, and I know I'm always going to hit the rack, and hit it hard. I also know I'm rarely going to scratch. In my opinion, this shot has way too many things going for it to consider doing anything unorthodox.

- Steve

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Hey CreeDo,

thats preety much what i said in my first or second reply, at least you could have quoted me !!!!!!! LOL :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:p Also, I stole your cookies out of the fridge. They were a little too crunchy at the edges but otherwise okay. Feed the cats.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a suggestion which I believe would help avoid confusion. Lets replace uptable and downtable with North and South. And lets also number the pockets as Sailor likes to do.

I finally got the owner at Boomers to let me put the markings one one table. Every one who has played on it so far, including the APA league players, at least the ones who I have asked, likes it.

I played my round robin match on it yesterday and had a great game. I was playing an A+ player. 135 to my 85. He was having a very bad day and I was shooting well above my normal level and I won the match 85 85. I didn't do anything spectacular, I just took full advantage of his misses, missed fewer easy shots than usual and played some good safes. I had two nearly back to back 14s early in the game and at least three 10s and 6s and 8s where I usually have 1s and 2s.

My opponent, a really nice guy, took his defeat with good grace and his congratulations were sincere.

Dave Nelson

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Good match

I have a suggestion which I believe would help avoid confusion. Lets replace uptable and downtable with North and South. And lets also number the pockets as Sailor likes to do.

I finally got the owner at Boomers to let me put the markings one one table. Every one who has played on it so far, including the APA league players, at least the ones who I have asked, likes it.

I played my round robin match on it yesterday and had a great game. I was playing an A+ player. 135 to my 85. He was having a very bad day and I was shooting well above my normal level and I won the match 85 85. I didn't do anything spectacular, I just took full advantage of his misses, missed fewer easy shots than usual and played some good safes. I had two nearly back to back 14s early in the game and at least three 10s and 6s and 8s where I usually have 1s and 2s.

My opponent, a really nice guy, took his defeat with good grace and his congratulations were sincere.

Dave Nelson

Dave: it sounds like you had a great match and played well. Congats. Also, it is double nice when you play with an opponent that is a gentlemen.
As, for calling parts of the table North & South. I am too "Old School" to
change my ways. "Up Table & Down Table" it has always been.
And as for this break shot on this post. I am not brave enough to send the cue into the rack and pocketing the corner ball. I would try to come off the rail into the back of the rack.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I always liked using head of the table and foot of the table. I consider the head north, so in the kitchen is north of the head string. Is that how people already do it?

Anyway I like that but I'm not so keen on numbering pockets. I can't imagine saying "shoot it in 5" rather than "shoot it in the left corner" (relative to the shooter's POV) ... plus it'd get confused with the numbers on the balls.