Tip Help Needed

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All
Hope someone can help with tip selection, I haven't been playing pool that long and need some help with tip selection. My first cue (Viking) came with the standard LePro tip, as did my new Joss Custom. I really like the feel of the LePro once worked in, but the problem I have found is that just as I find it playing at it's best it's time to change it because of mushrooming. That is one of the things that really bugs me, seeing the tip mushrooming when down to play a shot.

I have tried Triangle, didn't really like it, Moori hated the feel and the fact it hardened up so much. I current have a Kamui (older one) again it's ok but it hardens up on me and when it does it just doesn't feel right. Is there something else that you would suggest that doesn't mushroom, doesn't harden up too much or will take being worked with a tip pik a lot?

LASER-CUT

Registered
tip tool

get yourself the "little shaver" by joe porper "creative inventions"

stick w/le pro, or get a layered that is the same hardness as the le pro.

The tool is only dangerous to your fingers because of how sharp it is, or if the tip is old it might pop off but if it does that really indicates that it's time to change it.

once you've trimed the mushroom off, wet the sides w/saliva or oil from your forehead and burnish the sides....after doing this a couple times the tip does not mushroom any more.

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
I'd recommend either a Moori soft (they play like the old mediums), a Sniper layered tip, or the Tiger Everest layered.

brokenarrowjbe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently switched to tiger everest, I really like it. Good Luck. I have also had moori mediums recommended, but apparently there are either a lot of chinese knock offs or quality declined lately. Buy from reputable source or make sure tip guy is good for quality issues. John

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two tips about tips:

1) Always tip The TD if you win a tournament

2) When the tip guy asks what kind of tip you want ,tell him, ' the ten dollar one.'

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
First of all, get a pencil sharpener trimmer froM Andyho###. sorry, I forgot his whole name.

The try a Triumph. Mine haven't mushroomed excessively and don't play like a stack of glue discs! I'll keep poking around with layered tips some, but I'm not holing much hope!

lynng2378

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently switched to tiger everest, I really like it. Good Luck. I have also had moori mediums recommended, but apparently there are either a lot of chinese knock offs or quality declined lately. Buy from reputable source or make sure tip guy is good for quality issues. John

+1 for the everest. Try it I promise you will like it.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
For one, tips don't really harden up, especially modern layered tips. Neither do they mushroom.
So my two pieces of advice are (1) use the Everest. It's as good as it gets. (2) Learn One Pocket. You'll thank me later. :)

TheThaiger

Banned
Can't agree with this Everest love-in. They are terrible - indescribably bad, in fact. If they were made in china they'd be abused to the hills around here.

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
I have used the Everest for a couple years now and love them ... I have treid alot of tips and ended up cutting them off . Kamui , Moori , (The old Moori is a good tip but the new ones suck ), Elkmaster , Le pro , ( I did like the older Lepro but the newer ones it seems hard to find a good one). Talisman , Triangle , WaterBuffalo and probably a few others looking for the perfect tip for me ...

For me the Tiger Everest is the best tip and most consistant I can find . It was recomended to me by Leon Sly . Once I tried it I have not found anything better. It is low maintenance and gets good english... It is a medium tip, I have tried some of the other Tiger tips also but always came back to Everest ...

The Kamui I tried was a Kamui Black soft I put it on one day and cut it off the next. I hear that the newer ones are better but after trying the one I did I am afraid to even try another one they are not cheap...

I do my own tip work if you do I would recomend the Tiger tip glue that stuff sets quick I try to let my tips set over night once I put a tip on . But I have used the Tiger tip glue and shot with my cue with in 30 minutes and dont have any problem ... With Tiger tip glue I do not have a problen with tips coming off and love how quick it sets and the way it holds a tip on. it is about 8.00 a bottle but well worth it ...

Elkmaster these are good tips but they require alot of maintenance . They mushroom quick as they are a soft tip . And they wear down pretty quick , But they play nice and get good english . And at a price of about 19.00 for a box of 50 it is hard to beat the price. Alot of people I know love them and I would not be afraid to use them if not for my love of Everest ... I sell the Elkmasters to alot of my customers that want me to put tips on because they are a good tip and people come back quicker to have a new one put on and they love them ... So I use Everest but also push Elkmasters .. I have also heard that the Elkmaster "MILK DUD " holds up alot better and plays better ... Milk Dud is a Elkmaster that is soaked in milk it seems to have a better effect on the Elkmaster tip... I have never done it or used them but you see them every once in awhile on here on sale.

Last but not least tip selection is a matter of preference for each player . I see alot of people in love with the Kamui ...I personally do not know why but they love them. If that makes them feel confident in thier tip and cue then good for them as confidence is a large part of a players make up. I see people come in to the pool room bragging on thier new Moori tip and the cost of it . My first impression is they don't know what they are talking about and just bought a high dollar piece of junk and put it on thier cue based on a name that once was good but has gone down hill badly over the years. Tips are like Cues if you find one you like and have faith in it stick to it ... The trick is finding that one that is right for you.

BryanMordt

Cuemaker
Silver Member
Best in Class (layered tips)

I would highly recommend a new Kamui soft tip. In my opinion it is the best tip available today. It holds chalk extremely well, keeps a nice shape, doesn't mushroom much if at all, and above all else it has a very nice feel.

Bryan

RingKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I first started playing I have always played with a sumo hard tip. If you get yourself a good tip shaper, this tip will last a long time and I believe it will help you develop a better stroke. They quality of your game will only improve with lots of practice and this tip will last through all those practise sessions. As long as you keep it rough enough to hold chalk you only have to focus on making a solidstroke.

Last edited:

Anunnaki

Registered
I have never had a tip on a shooter that didn't mushroom. Some are more resistant than others, but unless you are using a really hard tip, it will likely mushroom.

I simply consider it tip maintenance. I use an Its George Tip Tool and not a razor blade tool. The way I put a dime tapper on my tips removes mushrooming and glazing.

31KQGAR879L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

On the Its George you will see the small tapper indention near the center of the tool. This creates a nickel tapper. If you put the tool on the ground and invert your cue into the tapper, put the cue in between your hands like you are starting a fire with a stick. Slowly move your hands back and forth while moving the cue butt in a slow, circular motion. I probably only move in a 12-15 inch radius. I will end up with a dime tapper and the mushroomed edges will be removed.

I have been told that a tip pick is not recommended for any laminated tip. I couldn't tell you because I never needed, or used a tip pick.

My tip choices are Kamui Black SS, Kamui II medium, and the Tiger Everest. I like to remove a few layers, so they play harder than expected. A new Kamui is a skyscraper.

I also like Elkmaster's and Triangle's for non-layered tips. I will mushroom all of them, but the laminates are more resistant.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
My vote's for kamui black soft. I've used lepro,everest,moori med. & kamui tan med.soft. If you use your player to break it'll for sure mushroom. You have to try different tips & see what you like.

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for the advice, I am running through them trying to find something I really like, next stop Kamui Black SS.