Extensions butt to shaft

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep seeing people with expensive famous maker custom cues , that were turned to exact specifications for balance and feel.
Then they stick a 20 dollar hunk of wood with 2 pins in it and rave about how much better they play.
I'm just getting old, 20 years ago I would not have even thought about this, because I didn't care what anyone else was doing, I did what I wanted.
Now I am looking for things to help overcome father time, and this crap pops up , blowing every logic cell in my mind.
If it is true and they do play better, what exactly does it mean?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The uneven split can be aesthetically unpleasing with a longer shaft.

Personally, I have 31 inch shafts for my current main player, a 1981 Huebler, and simply love it with those shafts. I have a 29 inch shaft as well to compare. All three shafts are original Huebler.

I don't know about the extensions, I have not played one. But after my own experience and seeing the tendency for longer cues I have said that cuemakers might want to consider marketing longer shafts.

Different people will like different things.

On a custom, it seems to violate something...but if you like how it feels then why not?

Enzo Ferrari probably rolls over his grave seeing what some "tuners" do to his cars. You can actually get removed from Ferrari's magical buyer's list for doing it. Yet, people do it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with such an extension if the player likes it. On a custom it looks like tits on a bull. But did you show up to play or show a cue?

Some custom makers will make extensions for their cues...and although more popular now it isn't exactly completely new.

It means all our heroes are dying, the music sucks these days, and times are changing.

We thought we had it all figured out when we were 18. Then when we got a few decades under our belt we realized we didn't know jack shit at 18 but sure as hell have figured it out now. Then we get older still and realize we still don't know jack shit.

In other words I don't know jack shit but I am glad to be here and talk about it.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
It's the same with after market shafts...guys spend $2k on a custom, made to their specs, then leave the shafts in the case putting on a $150 LD shaft. It's what they prefer...some may go to the bother of having an LD shaft matched to their cue by the custom maker, matching the rings, etc., but still have the "original" shafts for resale someday. The extension is the same thing for most; I like a REALLY long cue (62" to 64") but I doubt anyone else would should I sell one of my cues; thus, I've got an in joint extension for my -R- and an in butt extension for my Gulyassy. The neat thing is, many folks like the longer cues; it's easier to add an extension, so if you find you don't like it, you're only out a few bucks and can go back.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep seeing people with expensive famous maker custom cues , that were turned to exact specifications for balance and feel.
Then they stick a 20 dollar hunk of wood with 2 pins in it and rave about how much better they play.
I'm just getting old, 20 years ago I would not have even thought about this, because I didn't care what anyone else was doing, I did what I wanted.
Now I am looking for things to help overcome father time, and this crap pops up , blowing every logic cell in my mind.

As an older player who has had his skills decline over the years, I have used a mid cue extension to help my game. I found that I was having trouble with my mechanics and at the end of my stroke my cue would veer off to one side or the other. The mid cue extension adds weight and length, but more important, forward balance that helps me with my follow through. The down side is the added weight that may be hard to get used to and effect position play.

It could also be that making a change when I am having problems gives me confidence and it is all in my head.:grin-square:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
more flavour of the month equipment

snooker pros often use 57 inch cues on the bigger table and a case can be made that many people use a cue which is too long at 57-58

additionally, they solved the "extension" issue decades ago with an essentially standard short and longer telescopic that even amoungst the cheaper brands usually works and fits perfect

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member

Ask yourself this..... What is "standard"? Well......58" seems to be the standard since 1805... Well, things change and people try new things.... seems like the "standard" has changed over the past few years.... And it has changed to "No standard". You just have to play with what fits you and suits you...... I like 62" as it suits me..

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could also be that making a change when I am having problems gives me confidence and it is all in my head.:grin-square:

It's definitely all in your head, but I would never tell you that and screw it up... :D:rolleyes: :thumbup:

I am getting older as well. Eyes not as good, etc.

I think maybe the longer cue makes the shot shorter. Kind of like using a longer barrel on a gun gets me closer to the target. And I am sticking to it. :rolleyes::thumbup:

PSR- Hit the inhaler, loosen the joints, adjust the glasses, ask the opponent what I am shooting at, face the general direction of the shot, pretend I can see the shot...then bend over the table, leaning on it for support....while trying to keep my belly from fouling on any balls....

Then: Make a general imitation of somebody that can play pool by demonstrating something that looks like stroke, amaze my opponent with my "safety play" when I miss and leave the cue ball in an incredibly awkward position I didn't even anticipate.

No, my chin is not as low as it used to be...that is uncomfortable. But I generally don't jump up or develop a hitch in my stroke anymore because that would be painful. My stance is pretty stable and consistent because anything else would be uncomfortable or even painful.

Bury me with my Joss....I'll probably need it in the afterlife...even if I am blind, crippled, and crazy I will shoot pool. :D

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lots of placebo effect in the pool world
other cue sports not so much

There is placebo effect outside pool in cue sports, and plenty of it.

Billiards...measuring shafts in grams? Can't use a pool cue? How many different taper cut types do they have? Gotta have a wood screw...or a conical joint....or s schuler joint....pool cue joints don't work for billiards. :rolleyes:

Snooker? Can't play snooker with a pool cue. Proper snooker cues need to be hand planed not turned on a lathe because turning cuts across the grain and planing goes with it. And of course the number of "chevrons" directly impacts the playability of a snooker shaft. :rolleyes:

There are equipment geeks and equipment myths in all the cue sports.

Outside pool it seems change is not favored, in pool technology and change are popular. But both are based on the same sports psychology and oodles of myths.

Ever check the prices on Longoni billiard cues? How about the prices in general on production billiard cues versus pool cues...and the myriad specs...measured in tiny increments?

The placebo effect is there, equally spread I think, it just looks different.

What snooker World champion carried the same one piece antique cue around for years? Naw....no placebo effect there. :rolleyes: Placebo effect can be positive or negative. :wink:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a very in depth conversion about this topic with Jai Li at this last Turning Stone event.
She swears that having two joints in front of the grip will not hold up evenly through the night in terms of vibrations and hit/feel.
Also having the weight forward she says the natural tendency is the cue wants to saw/scoop on the stroke.

She plays with a custom four inch extension on the butt of the cue -her belief is that if there is any extra length/weight it should be on the back end after the grip hand so it acts as added propulsion into the motion of the stroke.

A year and half ago, Jayson Shaw explained during his practice routine that Earl was very smart in adding length and weight to the back end of the cue, and it certainly helps his stroke. Jayson was quick to clarify that the weight should always be on the back end and not the mid extension. He plays with a custom made eight inch extension on the back end of his cue and has had a stellar two years with it.

Shane has similar views and plays full time extension on the butt- playing some of his best pool going full time extension.

The common take on all of these was that it isn't about reach, it's about weight and keeping the stroke in line - these players seem to believe it helps.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a very in depth conversion about this topic with Jai Li at this last Turning Stone event.
She swears that having two joints in front of the grip will not hold up evenly through the night in terms of vibrations and hit/feel.
Also having the weight forward she says the natural tendency is the cue wants to saw/scoop on the stroke.

She plays with a custom four inch extension on the butt of the cue -her belief is that if there is any extra length/weight it should be on the back end after the grip hand so it acts as added propulsion into the motion of the stroke.

A year and half ago, Jayson Shaw explained during his practice routine that Earl was very smart in adding length and weight to the back end of the cue, and it certainly helps his stroke. Jayson was quick to clarify that the weight should always be on the back end and not the mid extension. He plays with a custom made eight inch extension on the back end of his cue and has had a stellar two years with it.

Shane has similar views and plays full time extension on the butt- playing some of his best pool going full time extension.

The common take on all of these was that it isn't about reach, it's about weight and keeping the stroke in line - these players seem to believe it helps.

I understand in the back of the cue, a lot better than the middle.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an older player who has had his skills decline over the years, I have used a mid cue extension to help my game. I found that I was having trouble with my mechanics and at the end of my stroke my cue would veer off to one side or the other. The mid cue extension adds weight and length, but more important, forward balance that helps me with my follow through. The down side is the added weight that may be hard to get used to and effect position play.

Yeah, yeah, you been saying that for 10 years now and you still keep beating everybody.
You make it hard to feel sorry for you, in your present, " weakened condition"
You even had me lusting a bit with the "I'll be wheel chaired in, wearing an oxygen mask, bringing several Social Security checks".
A Classic.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The common take on all of these was that it isn't about reach,

Speak for yourself, I am short...and getting older. It's bout reach. LOL! :D

Just kidding. Thanks for the input. I really enjoy seeing the various perspectives on this matter.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is placebo effect outside pool in cue sports, and plenty of it.

Billiards...measuring shafts in grams? Can't use a pool cue? How many different taper cut types do they have? Gotta have a wood screw...or a conical joint....or s schuler joint....pool cue joints don't work for billiards. :rolleyes:

Snooker? Can't play snooker with a pool cue. Proper snooker cues need to be hand planed not turned on a lathe because turning cuts across the grain and planing goes with it. And of course the number of "chevrons" directly impacts the playability of a snooker shaft. :rolleyes:

There are equipment geeks and equipment myths in all the cue sports.

Outside pool it seems change is not favored, in pool technology and change are popular. But both are based on the same sports psychology and oodles of myths.

Ever check the prices on Longoni billiard cues? How about the prices in general on production billiard cues versus pool cues...and the myriad specs...measured in tiny increments?

The placebo effect is there, equally spread I think, it just looks different.

What snooker World champion carried the same one piece antique cue around for years? Naw....no placebo effect there. :rolleyes: Placebo effect can be positive or negative. :wink:

point taken

i most defineltly see pool stuck in a chase for tech that doesn't exist or work and snooker/carom stuck in 1975

im admitedley a little biased AGAINST pool as I essentially view pool players as always looking to take shortcuts with equipment as oppposed to dreaded....wait for it......PRACTICE DRILLS

and ya lol @ snooker players discussing pros cons of maple vs ash with their frickin BRASS ferules , and carom with some of the most absurd equipment imaginable, lmfao