Mosconi's run of 589

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just posted corroboration from a living witness of how Mosconi was playing in 1979 in Las Vegas when he ran 589. It's in the main category in the thread about the run of 526. If you like history, read this.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just posted corroboration from a living witness of how Mosconi was playing in 1979 in Las Vegas when he ran 589. It's in the main category in the thread about the run of 526. If you like history, read this.

No offense, but I don't believe this story. It seems like the closer the top players get to Willie Mosconi's record of 526, the more these stories come up.

There is a thread of the living 200+ ball runners, including claims of 600+ and 700+ runs, and now this story of Willie himself running more than the official record.

Personally, I'd rather get some feedback from any living members of the list of people who signed the 526 affidavit than read about runs that are based on hearsay.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a new story...

The story is not new, it has been told since 1979 when it happened. I was not there either, but I am interested in billiard history and whatever I can contribute, I will. The gentleman I spoke with attested to how well Mosconi was playing at the exact time of the 589. I was told that many of the pros were in and out of the tournament during the run including Pete Margo among the others. I think Mosconi was playing at or near his best at this time so I am contributing corroborating evidence. I gave you the witness by name and location, he is not difficult to find if anyone questions this. It's not like I just put random info on here. I hope someone enjoyed my contribution.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Discussion with another AZ'er....

A fellow AZ buddy commented to me that just about any AZ member who had been told what I was told would have posted it. I asked him if he thought I posted it correctly and he said that he did not get the impression that I stated anything as fact but as shared information. If I post something like this, I try to be journalistic about it and share it as found information. That being said, if you want to know my opinion, I believe the 589 completely. Why? First, the sources. Second, because if it were made up then why wasn't the number higher than Eufemia's reported record? That makes no sense at all to me. Compared to Eufemia's alleged record, Mosconi's official run and the run of 589 are still both second place. So now the issue is, do you believe Eufemia really beat the record? I am not convinced. And if you don't believe in the Eufemia record, then Mosconi running 589 is not appreciably higher than his official record, and first place is first place. And as Don Brink told me, a tournament rack man who was witness to Mosconi at his peak, "John, if you told me Mosconi ran a million balls, I would believe you, because I saw what he could do."

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The story is not new, it has been told since 1979 when it happened. I was not there either, but I am interested in billiard history and whatever I can contribute, I will. The gentleman I spoke with attested to how well Mosconi was playing at the exact time of the 589. I was told that many of the pros were in and out of the tournament during the run including Pete Margo among the others. I think Mosconi was playing at or near his best at this time so I am contributing corroborating evidence. I gave you the witness by name and location, he is not difficult to find if anyone questions this. It's not like I just put random info on here. I hope someone enjoyed my contribution.

I remember the story of the 589 ball run for about as long as it happened. I never doubted it for a second. I saw Mosconi in a couple of exhibitions in the 70's when he was supposedly well past his prime, well if that was past his prime I shudder to think of what his prime was like! He was amazing, I have never seen anyone to this day that could play like him. He had total control of everything on the table. They didn't have these high run challenges that are popluar these days (DCC, SBE) when Mosconi played. If they had Mosconi would have run 700 or 800+ IMO.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree

I remember the story of the 589 ball run for about as long as it happened. I never doubted it for a second. I saw Mosconi in a couple of exhibitions in the 70's when he was supposedly well past his prime, well if that was past his prime I shudder to think of what his prime was like! He was amazing, I have never seen anyone to this day that could play like him. He had total control of everything on the table. They didn't have these high run challenges that are popluar these days (DCC, SBE) when Mosconi played. If they had Mosconi would have run 700 or 800+ IMO.

Someone would have to truly smash the record to top the legend. Sometimes legends are real.

mark smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the run

I do not remember the publication but I remember the account that Charlie Ursetti gave. He said that Willie had arrived in advance of a taping for the "legends of pocket billiards". Willie asked Charlie if he would rack for him. Willie proceeded to run 42 racks with coffee breaks and lunch in between racks. At the end of the 42nd rack Willie shoots the break ball (the 15th ball) into a pocket and tells Charlie he is tired. He played all day long and didn't miss a ball. Good story and I have no reason to doubt it. I guess it did not go down as record because it was not in competition.

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe it! Not a word of it! But that's mainly because the 526 record was set in my hometown and I don't want to give it up! :)

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The story is not new, it has been told since 1979 when it happened...I think Mosconi was playing at or near his best at this time so I am contributing corroborating evidence.

Mosconi would have been around 66 in 1979, so I sincerely doubt that he was playing at his best at that age. I have no doubt he could still play very well even in his mid-sixties, but certainly not at his peak.

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
true

It's a fact Mosconi ran the 526 but what the record book didn't tell you is they were laying perfect.
Keep it nice. Alfie

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that's funny...

...they laid perfect rack after rack because he bumped 'em all there.
In regards to the above comment that he wouldn't have been playing is best because of his age, keep in mind the 526 was when he played very, very fast for a straight pool player. The only thing age would have taken away is overly fast play, which makes 589 or more understandable. And it was a 9' GC. Healthy debate.

Roger Illinois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi would have been around 66 in 1979, so I sincerely doubt that he was playing at his best at that age. I have no doubt he could still play very well even in his mid-sixties, but certainly not at his peak.

You are without a doubt YOUNG.
Don't doubt that someone in their sixties could play better than anyone you have ever seen......

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ervalino was in his 60's when he ran 336 on a fairly tight 9' Gold Crown at Chelsea Billiards. He ran 100's effortlessly up to the time he died.