Whats The Secret To Making Shots You Should Make?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats the secret for making shots you should make? In other words, how do you keep from missing shots you should make?

This plagues me...:frown::frown:

Mike

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Whats the secret for making shots you should make? In other words, how do you keep from missing shots you should make?

Mike

Mike,

I'm not sure you can ever completely do that. I think even the best will eventually mis a shot they are supposed to make. All you can do is cut down on the number of them. I think it comes down to focus. Total focus. Most of the shots I mis that I am supposed to make happen when my focus goes too much to the position side of the shot. I know I can make the shot so I don't get that upset because I know why I missed. Many times those are shots that I really don't want to make if I can't get postion for the next shot anyway.

So...in my opinon the secret is total focus, on making the shot.

Just my nickels worth,

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
."there are no hard shots, there are no easy shots, they're just shot" CJ Wiley

Mike

I went through this and many champions at different sports/games have as well.

The issue is when you define them as "hard or easy," or "should make, or shouldn't make," you mind starts dividing things and changing how you go about your routine. If you do the same routine and understand the process every shot will seem the same.

After all you're just hitting the cue ball straight every time, no matter what the situation......"there are no hard shots, there are no easy shots, they're just shot" CJ Wiley

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went through this and many champions at different sports/games have as well.

The issue is when you define them as "hard or easy," or "should make, or shouldn't make," you mind starts dividing things and changing how you go about your routine. If you do the same routine and understand the process every shot will seem the same.

After all you're just hitting the cue ball straight every time, no matter what the situation......"there are no hard shots, there are no easy shots, they're just shot" CJ Wiley

Couldn't agree more. I've found that when I'm playing my best pool, I don't ever have a difficult shot. Not to say none of my shots are difficult, just that the thought that it's difficult never enters my mind.

Although there are times that after I make the shot and get shape, I think to myself, "Holy shit, did I really just do that?"

A good example is this jacked up draw shot I played tonight. I didn't have any thoughts other than where I wanted the CB to go and making sure I was aligned properly. I know if the thought of how hard it was crept into my mind I probably would have missed the shot.

Lr7zqCJKlLLkblyJgYCP.png

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone misses...including Earl, Efren, Allison and even CJ! I agree with the mental philosophy of they're all just "shots"...not hard or easy. Trusting your stroke is the first step to missing less often. How you 'build' that trust can be approached from different directions. We certainly teach one way that works for a lot of players. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mike

So are you asking how to make a one-foot straight-in shot? That's one of those shots you should be able to make, right? Is that what you're asking? Did you ever miss a one-foot straight-in shot?

If not that shot, then what kinds of shots are you referring to?

Just trying to get a handle on what you're missing that you feel you should be making.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are you asking how to make a one-foot straight-in shot? That's one of those shots you should be able to make, right? Is that what you're asking? Did you ever miss a one-foot straight-in shot?

If not that shot, then what kinds of shots are you referring to?

Just trying to get a handle on what you're missing that you feel you should be making.

No, not those type of shots, those are easy. I am talking about the next level, the ones that arent exactly tap-ins, gimmees, etc. The type that you would expect to make 95% of the time.

Mike

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, how about an example? Can you describe one?

Take the diagram that BieberLvr posted. The shot he now has on the 2-Ball is the type of shot that i am talking about.

Or perhaps if he was to shoot the 8-Ball instead of the 2-Ball with the CB in the same spot.

Mike

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the diagram that BieberLvr posted. The shot he now has on the 2-Ball is the type of shot that i am talking about.

Or perhaps if he was to shoot the 8-Ball instead of the 2-Ball with the CB in the same spot.

Mike

Ok well, it looks to me like if you're right handed you'd have one leg stretched over the corner pocket to line up for the 2 ball. That would take a little extra care to properly align yourself for that shot.

The 8 ball looks like it may be at an angle where you would find some unwanted collision-induced throw. In fact, I was practicing that shot today. It takes some care in setting up.

So, both shots require a little extra care in the setup. Sometimes shots look easier than they really are.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Ok well, it looks to me like if you're right handed you'd have one leg stretched over the corner pocket to line up for the 2 ball. That would take a little extra care to properly align yourself for that shot.

The 8 ball looks like it may be at an angle where you would find some unwanted collision-induced throw. In fact, I was practicing that shot today. It takes some care in setting up.

So, both shots require a little extra care in the setup. Sometimes shots look easier than they really are.

Ms. Crimi,

Very good point. I missed an 8 ball shot a couple of weeks ago because like you say the set up was with a leg up & bit of a stretch. It was an easy shot but not given the required set up. I should have used the bridge but since it appeared so 'easy' I did not think that I needed it. I was wrong.

'Easy' shots are not always so easy. Sometimes the easy shots need a bit of extra care.

You very often show such a very good insight from a player's perspective. It's very refreshing.

Best Regards,

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ms. Crimi,

Very good point. I missed an 8 ball shot a couple of weeks ago because like you say the set up was with a leg up & bit of a stretch. It was an easy shot but not given the required set up. I should have used the bridge but since it appeared so 'easy' I did not think that I needed it. I was wrong.

'Easy' shots are not always so easy. Sometimes the easy shots need a bit of extra care.

You very often show such a very good insight from a player's perspective. It's very refreshing.

Best Regards,

Thanks Rick. That's kind of you to say.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still those are shots you should absolutely make. At least 95% of the time - or more.

So, lets take the diagram again. With the CB in the new position imagine making the 5-Ball or 7-Ball. The 5-Ball you could make 98% of the time. The 7-Ball is a shot i fully expect to make probably 90% of the time or more but it seems i miss it more than i should. And its not really all that hard of a shot.

Mike

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Mike,

Are you missing them in a particular way? Do you generally hit the long rail or are you missing on the short rail or are you missing both ways evenly?

Also, how are you missing? Are you hitting them with speed & they rattle or are you rollling them with good speed & they still don't go in?

Regards,

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
our subconscious opens up a doorway to some incredible accomplishments.

Couldn't agree more. I've found that when I'm playing my best pool, I don't ever have a difficult shot. Not to say none of my shots are difficult, just that the thought that it's difficult never enters my mind.

Although there are times that after I make the shot and get shape, I think to myself, "Holy shit, did I really just do that?"

A good example is this jacked up draw shot I played tonight. I didn't have any thoughts other than where I wanted the CB to go and making sure I was aligned properly. I know if the thought of how hard it was crept into my mind I probably would have missed the shot.

Lr7zqCJKlLLkblyJgYCP.png

I worked very diligently at one point of time to learn how to put myself deep into a pool "trance" (zone or dead stroke). When I was in this state of mind I always said "if the cue ball doesn't go where I want it to, it goes somewhere better," and that was what happened. When we learn how to tap into our subconscious it opens up a doorway to some incredible accomplishments.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
I see these types of shots missed often (the 5 and 7 from the new cueball location). Typically they are undercut, ie. the ball hits the rail prior to the pocket. Both shots appear to be 1/2 ball hits. Very little if any sidespin should be used as top or bottom spin can really provide position play. At least that is my personal philosophy!

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see these types of shots missed often (the 5 and 7 from the new cueball location). Typically they are undercut, ie. the ball hits the rail prior to the pocket. Both shots appear to be 1/2 ball hits. Very little if any sidespin should be used as top or bottom spin can really provide position play. At least that is my personal philosophy!

I'm different. I really like to apply low outside on those shots, especially the 7, (somewhat less on the 5), particularly if I want to move the cb back to the center of the table. Spin enables me to use less force, thus reducing the chances of missing the shot.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'm different. I really like to apply low outside on those shots, especially the 7, (somewhat less on the 5), particularly if I want to move the cb back to the center of the table. Spin enables me to use less force, thus reducing the chances of missing the shot.

Ms. Crimi,

I agree. Low outside is my preference as well, but I will hit them with all four(4) types of spin depending on position needs. The point, imho, is that the spin in effect 'opens up' what is a somewhat smaller pocket opening. The only time I would not use some type of spin is if it is a shorter shot with the OB closer to the pocket & the CB closer to the OB given that there is no specific position needs.

I am somewhat speaking in the 'past tense', as I am now shooting many of these type of shots with CJ's TOI technique with the tip contact on either side of the horizontal axis. I just can't seem to stand ever hitting on the exact horizontal axis, but I guess that is just me & my foilble.

Best Regards & Wishes,