nine ball break on a valley

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hah, wish it was that simple. Foolishly entered nine ball tournament, gonna get stomped, if I don't figure this out.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there something different about the dimensions of a Valley? Not sure why I can't get wing ball to go. What is reasonable expectation, 75%?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there something different about the dimensions of a Valley? Not sure why I can't get wing ball to go. What is reasonable expectation, 75%?

Consider how old the balls are in most valleys and the inconsistencies I think 50% is darn good. If you are not using a template it’s outstanding. Unless you are manipulating the rack.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consider how old the balls are in most valleys and the inconsistencies I think 50% is darn good. If you are not using a template it’s outstanding. Unless you are manipulating the rack.

Thanks, I hope you are right, I was assuming opponents would be making it consistently. No template, just that crappy plastic triangle. I did experiment with tilting the rack, and pulling it below the spot. I won't do that during tournament though, not my style.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason I asked this question is, the wing ball always goes high or in the pocket, it never misses low. What adjustment makes it go lower?

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What????

Thanks, I hope you are right, I was assuming opponents would be making it consistently. No template, just that crappy plastic triangle. I did experiment with tilting the rack, and pulling it below the spot. I won't do that during tournament though, not my style.

You have the right to move the rack up or down to find the sweet spot on any table, thats not cheating, its giving yourself a chance to win.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have the right to move the rack up or down to find the sweet spot on any table, thats not cheating, its giving yourself a chance to win.

IMO, the only time the head ball should not be center (or as close as possible) of the spot is:

Spot is in wrong place (to high or low)...

or

There is damage in spot area that interferes with the rack.....

IMO, nobody should be allowed to deliberately move the rack up or down from center of spot just because the wing ball isn't going.

If the spot is not high or low and the balls will freeze, all players need to be able to adjust their break....not the rack.

Jeff

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The wing ball is going high, why?
Every time you rack the balls up they are in different positions. You're playing on a Valley with craters in the rack area and balls that are different sizes. It would be insanity to believe that you can make a ball consistently under inconsistent conditions.

The Sardo Tight Rack changed nine ball forever but not for the conditions you are facing.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This applies to nearly every table where nine ball or eight ball are played.

I understand that but, I also know plenty of people that will pull the rack back in 9 ball to hedge their chances of making a wing ball. Also, those same people will tilt the back of the rack so the 2 ball will not have a wreck since the rack is lowered and causing balls to track differently.

Also, as you know, lots of people will push the rack up table to help them make the balls in the side pocket when racking 10 ball...or 8 ball for that matter.

Having said that, some will move most all racks up to aid in making the 1 ball regardless of game being played.

Jeff

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time you rack the balls up they are in different positions. You're playing on a Valley with craters in the rack area and balls that are different sizes. It would be insanity to believe that you can make a ball consistently under inconsistent conditions.

The Sardo Tight Rack changed nine ball forever but not for the conditions you are facing.

^^^^^^^Truth.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys, I see what you're saying. I almost never play nine ball. The few times I have, it's been 9' Diamond, with a Magic Rack.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can't wire a ball, are you better off smashing the rack and living with the results? Don't want to squat the rock, put the one by the corner, and not make the wing.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can't wire a ball, are you better off smashing the rack and living with the results? Don't want to squat the rock, put the one by the corner, and not make the wing.

It depends. If the corner ball is going then I go for it. If not or if I can’t get the balls tight I break hard from about a diamond right of center. line up the cue ball, 9b and ball in the second to last row on left side.

Hit hard and squat the rock if you can.

But if you are getting the wing ball 50% I’d stick with that. That’s probably good enough to win the tournament if you can back it up with good decision making and some run outs.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this tournament full of run-out players? If not, then the break won't matter anyway.

Correct. That's the only time the break really means so much, as to worry about what ball goes where on the break.

OP:

If your tournament is chocked full of killers, well, it ain't gonna matter. But, if it's mostly dead money (people like me), do as the poster abive said...knock the crap out of them and squat whitey and take what you get.

Jeff