New wrap, what would you do?

Wally83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up an old Runde era Schon cue and Bob Runde is going to refinish it for me. I am not a fan of linen, so my question is, will I devalue the cue in any way by installing a leather wrap? All them old schons have linen but I would rather not have it. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Ben

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a- If you are gonna play with it then make it so it works best for you.

2- If you are gonna museum it, keep it original.

Value wont move dramatically with the change, except to user a, above.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't really think you'd devalue the cue if Bob himself is refinishing it. I guess the real stringent collector would want it 100% original, but as long as Runde's doing the work I'd guess you're not going to turn most people off should you decide to sell. And that's a player's cue, so you should play with that sucker.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in no means an expert by any means. But looking from a collector stand point they would probably want it all original. Meaning original wrap even.

However, as far as a rewrap is concerned I don't think it matters which way you go. That being said I would opt for your favorite wrap so that it plays the way you like.

I put a shark skin wrap on mine and I love it!

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
If Bob uses a similar style leather that he may have used back in the day your better off than if he installs an exotic. Either way though it's being installed by the original maker so I don't think any collector would mind.. I wouldn't mind....

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if Bob is gonna do a refinish you might as well have him do a re-wrap in leather especially if you're gonna play with it...why not.:thumbup:

Wally83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!

I appreciate all the feedback, I was just having 2nd thoughts about going to leather but you have erased any doubts. Thanks I will post some pics once it's done

Thanks, Ben

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
It doesn't matter either way if it is not a "desirable" style.

Play with what you like.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
If you check out RAT cues on facebooks is does amazing wrap jobs and his stacked leather is next to none.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I wouldn't worry about it. It is going to be your player and if you ever sell it the value won't vary $100 either way. If you kept it original someone will complain about it being used and worn and if you change it they will complain about that and in both cases will want to give you less and you will never get as much as you think it is worth.

🎱

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Its getting refinished anyway so it has to get rewrapped too, aka original is out the window acrossed the board. Get what you want now, it's a player and it's yours. Enjoy it. :)

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Leather wrap

I picked up an old Runde era Schon cue and Bob Runde is going to refinish it for me. I am not a fan of linen, so my question is, will I devalue the cue in any way by installing a leather wrap? All them old schons have linen but I would rather not have it. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Ben

I'm pretty sure Bob did leather back in his Schon days. I had a custom Schon with the original receipt from 1984 and the wrap was very similar leather to what is on my custom Runde now. If it's your player put what you like on it, if you only are looking for resale don't refinish it at all unless it's really beat up.