this shot.....

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've been a victim of this before, or at least close. Any successful way of shooting this? This happened to me recently after a safety, and I made the bank back to the right side corner pocket, but scratched the Q ball in the top left pocket( from the perspective of the picture). I've practiced this shot a few times since then and haven't come up with a safe solution. Single rail kick with all types of English has come close but no where near a go to shot. Thoughts?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The safe is a half ball hit with speed to leave the balls on opposite long rails. It usually sells out a cross side or cross corner bank though.
I'm of the mind if there's no good safety, take the flier and cross your fingers. At least you give yourself a chance to win. Play it to error on banking it long and if you don't make it you might luck a safe out of it.

Sent from my iPhone
Any spelling errors I'm blaming on autocorrect :)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hit the left rail right at the top tip of the side pocket with top right. it will cut the object ball in bottom right pocket.

its a sell out some times but if you happen to over cut it the ball will hit the side rail and come back to rest where it originally laid and the cue ball will come back up close to where it originally laid ....or not . :grin-square:

J.S.

Registered
For me, the choice between banking or playing safe depends a bit on who I'm playing. If I'm against a really good player, I'm going for the bank. If against a slightly less skilled player, I'm going for the safety option.

My reasoning here is that if I play safe against a good player, he'll most likely make the bank (side or corner), or play another safety. In a safety battle against a better player I'm in a losing battle, so I'm going for my chances with the bank. Against a lesser player, I'm betting that he can't make the bank and will sell out.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i has been a while since i tried that shot so i just got up and tried it here at the house.

1st time. sold out and left it hanging in the bottom right corner.

2nd time. moved the ball a half diamond and the cue ball came back up close to where it originally was.

3rd time ..i made it. :grin-square:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theres a trick..,

For me, the choice between banking or playing safe depends a bit on who I'm playing. If I'm against a really good player, I'm going for the bank. If against a slightly less skilled player, I'm going for the safety option.

My reasoning here is that if I play safe against a good player, he'll most likely make the bank (side or corner), or play another safety. In a safety battle against a better player I'm in a losing battle, so I'm going for my chances with the bank. Against a lesser player, I'm betting that he can't make the bank and will sell out.

The ball banks in the side on most tables if the cloth is a little worn. If you mis the bank most of the time the ball lands just beyond the side pocket and the cue ball on the opposite side, leaving a tuff cut down table or a tuff reverse side bank.

Give it a try, it not that hard once you get the speed down

James2003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your eyes are good enough and U can cut like a ginsu knife you could just barely clip the 8 and bring cue ball back up table close to the rail use inside English just incase u miss the very slight cut. You will hit rail and spin back into the 8. I can cut paper thin so that's what I would do.

J.S.

Registered
Will do, thanks!

The ball banks in the side on most tables if the cloth is a little worn. If you mis the bank most of the time the ball lands just beyond the side pocket and the cue ball on the opposite side, leaving a tuff cut down table or a tuff reverse side bank.

Give it a try, it not that hard once you get the speed down

He would kick it in or cut in the left or right pocket with easy!!!

HE WOULD KICK IT IN OR CUT IN THE LEFT OR RIGHT POCKET WITH EASY!!!
:thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your eyes are good enough and U can cut like a ginsu knife you could just barely clip the 8 and bring cue ball back up table close to the rail use inside English just incase u miss the very slight cut. You will hit rail and spin back into the 8. I can cut paper thin so that's what I would do.

This is not actually a cut shot but a spin shot to make it. If you just hit the ball center ball you won't make it.

BigNBeefY

Just Stopping By
Silver Member
everyone who has played this game has lost from this position and won from this position...I prefer playing safe and leaving a bank simply bc the %s are not in my favor to make the bank shot or the cut shot from there.