Uneven points on full splice after taper

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would make the points on a full splice cue uneven after tapering? I tapered using an offset tailstock method.

The butt stock was pretty straight before taper, but it did have a major gash along the lower part of the butt stock. I didnt pay any attention to the evenness of the points before tapering, but assume they were even. I tapered until the gash was gone. The amount of material removed was more than expected. I should have returned the butt as the gash was really too deep, but was hard to estimate if tapering would remove the gash. The finished butt OD is 1.170", joint is .825", length is 29".

Why are the points so far off? The difference between the highest and lowest is around 1". I actually like the thinner butt sizes.

Thanks

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
You have to recenter it and put in a new center and know how to shim it in the Live Center on the tailstock in order to get the points even

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Kinda late now, usually you can offset the joint end hole.
So many reasons it could be off.

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
If your work piece is still over .050 to finish size you may still have a chance to correct them.

p.s. just my thought

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't feel bad. We've all been there. Although I think you are bit small already and if the difference in point length is one inch-not enough room to fix but real good exercise in cuemaking. Good Luck.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Evening points on a 4pt blank is most efficiently done by controlling the 'center' located on the jnt-end.
Evening pts by trying to correct from the butt-end will give you a 1.170" dia butt.
Add shim or offset (jnt-end) so that the high pt(s) are mostly if not all that's being cut.
This will affect your jnt. dia. also so you will want to start tweaking your center early on.
Finding out they are off at finish dia. is too late. Off by 1/16" or so can be sanded-in.
Do some 'dummies' or house cues until you have your process down. Good blanks are expensive.

HTHs, KJ

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If your work piece is still over .050 to finish size you may still have a chance to correct them.

p.s. just my thought

At 1.170" bottom now, he might have a chopstick if he cuts some more .

I have blanks he can use. I'd sell at a good price.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
What would make the points on a full splice cue uneven after tapering? I tapered using an offset tailstock method.
Anytime you cut material off of a spliced point, it gets shorter. If your center is off, and you cut more from one point than another, they become uneven. If they are uneven to start, you can cut more from the higher side to even them up if you have enough diameter left to offset the center at the joint end.
A dial indicator at the points will help when you are locating a new center.