Leather wrap seem cutting

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What cut style is best for cutting the seam on a 1 piece leather wrap. Cut style A or B? Best means for blending the seam to make the seam look close to invisible.

Drawing1.jpg

Poke_N_Hope

Lost in Paradise
Silver Member
Because of the cue being round, the b cut I'll actually leave you at higher risk for a gap if not cut to just the right size...leaving you to try and stretch the leather to close the seam. A is better to reduce this risk. However, the best cut in my opinion is one where both cuts have some angle...but are parallel in angle....leaving you with an overlapping seam (like you use in wood working), but no chance of a gap. Also this approach gives you more glue contact area on the seam.

This take a little practice to find a good angle you can hold the blade at consistently....but not much harder to acquire the talent than shaping a tip with a razor blade.

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more thought. If you overlap the material and do the cut like D. You end up with a bad matchup. So best to do this angled cut seperate for each piece. Not overlap cuting.

Drawing3.jpg

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I need to go back to wrap school as "B" is the way I was taught and works really well. I tried the overlapping and it does not come out right as you now have too much leather and the seam will bulge. You also cut the ends the same way at an angle. I also cut the wrap about 1/32 to 1/16 short and stretch it into place.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"A" is the way the majority of people cut the seam. Your angle cut "D" will leave your top section way too long. So does cutting straight down through it with them overlapped leave it a little too long. That is the main reason leather fixtures were made to allow the cutting of both seams individually.
But back to seam "D" for a minute. If you reversed the angle it would leave the top a little short, but because the overlap makes it longer by nature it evens out if the angle is just right and when it lays down you can pull it up on it. I have seen people who did it that way.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I guess I need to go back to wrap school as "B" is the way I was taught and works really well. I tried the overlapping and it does not come out right as you now have too much leather and the seam will bulge. You also cut the ends the same way at an angle. I also cut the wrap about 1/32 to 1/16 short and stretch it into place.

The way to do it is overlap the leather. Spray some glue on the leather. Put it on the cue.
If it overlaps 1/2" the cut should be made about 1/4" from the end. Cut the full length with
a razor knife. You will cut through 2 layers of leather. Discard 1/4" of scrap. Pull the wrap
back and discard the other 1/4" of scrap. The cut, even if not exactly perfect, will match.

Press the leather down on the cue and rub it in with your thumb. You will never have any
overlap bulge. The seam will be almost invisible unless holding the wrap up toward a light.

I've put leather wraps on many cues and will say I never cut to fit before putting on the cue.

No. I'm not a cue maker but have repaired many.

Last edited:

Poke_N_Hope

Lost in Paradise
Silver Member
I think you mean like this? Makes sense to me!

View attachment 286715
That is the way I do it. On me template/straight edge that I use...I had the edge ground to a 15 degree angle, so my knife could just follow the angle.

It is important to say that a, b, c, or d could work...each would just take a bit of getting used to..and everyone has a method and a preference.